• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CJW's Local Patch (1 Viewer)

CJW, A great tour of your patch. When I see another patch description I think 'ooh, I'd like to go birding there'. Hope you find the 'Ortolan' before October is out.

Yes CJW, fine stuff there.

Look like some good places to set up with the scope & foldaway chair for a few hours

2 Questions - What sort of distance does that cover ? and what are 'plastics' ?

A definite 5 star account of your local patch, CJW. I'm afraid I've not visited the IOM since I was about 5!
Really nice to see the pix too.

Great Stuff, CJ... thanks for giving us all an insight into your birding area. It looks superb... plenty of variety.

Pete... congrats from me also on the RCS!

:t:

Carlos GY said:
Yes CJW, fine stuff there.

Look like some good places to set up with the scope & foldaway chair for a few hours

2 Questions - What sort of distance does that cover ? and what are 'plastics' ?

Thanks all, glad you like the look of the place, perhaps you could all save up and have a BF Weekend over here sometime.
Me and Pete have done the same circuit this morning for very little reward - unless you count the returning flock of 16 Pinkfeet. Oh, and 2 Kingfishers together (they don't breed here and are rare visitors with only 1 or 2 a year) - I've attached one of Pete's record shots taken half an hour ago! Hope you don't mind, Pete.

Carlos, to answer your questions:
1) As the crow flies from the Port Mooar to Point of Ayre is about 9 miles.
2) Plastics is a general term used to encompass all farmyard/hybrid ducks.

Attachments

• kingfisher280903a.jpg
    kingfisher280903a.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 235
CJW, do Rosy Starlings hang about long. There is one that has been found today in North Devon and I am not sure whether to take the gamble of getting there by bus from down here.

Andrew said:
CJW, do Rosy Starlings hang about long. There is one that has been found today in North Devon and I am not sure whether to take the gamble of getting there by bus from down here.

Hi Andrew, I think generally speaking, yes, they do. Especially if they get themselves in amongst the local Starling flocks.

The BF weekend was a sort of semi-serious suggestion, unfortunately it's damned expensive just getting here and when you put hotel bills and beer on top of it......mind you, I know a couple of good local guides ;)

James,
It wasnt as difficult as I thought it was going to be :)
Ive been meticulously scanning thru our local starling flocks for months now, hoping for a rcs but after seeing one I realise now I could probably scan with the naked eye, they stick out like a sore thumb. :)

Did my usual coastal route this morning and, while nothing of great note was seen, it was just nice to be sat on a beach with just myself and the birds - I didn't see another soul!
Highlights were 3x juv. Peregrines harrassing the waders, large parties of Sandwich, Little and Arctic Terns feeding offshore (carefully avoiding getting hit by the Gannets) a few distant Manx Shearwaters and several dozen Grayling butterflies. Because of the attentions of the Pergrines, a flock of Dunlin and Sanderling flew right past me as I (like a dude) paddled in the surf!
I managed a few snatched photos.

Attachments

• Peregrine170704b.jpg
    Peregrine170704b.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Sanderling_Dunlin170704a.jpg
    Sanderling_Dunlin170704a.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 198
  • Sanderling_Dunlin170704b.jpg
    Sanderling_Dunlin170704b.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Grayling170704.jpg
    Grayling170704.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 218
Hi Chris,sounds Like A Lovely Place.i Would Love To Jump On The Ferry And Spend A Few Days On Yhe Isle Of Man.

Gary...........

The last couple of days at Port Mooar (see post #1) have been really good in Manx terms. Yesterday morning my mate Rob and I found a Pallas' Warbler amongst a flock of Long-tailed Tits (no photos though, as the camera was asleep and the bird moved on very quickly) and this morning what was presumably the same flock went through the 'valley' and amongst them was a 1st Winter caudatus or 'Northern' Long-tailed Tit! A Manx first and only my second ever.
Sorry about the poor quality of the shot but the bird was quite distant - still at least the camera was awake this time!

Attachments

• Caudatus311004a.jpg
    Caudatus311004a.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 262
Andrew said:
A BF weekend on IOM would be brilliant!
Yep,I second that esp if it was booked for June(TT fortnight!!) ;)

Thanks,CJ,for the lovely account accompanied by the photos of your area,made me feel very nostalgic.I often think of the Fairy Bridge and the intense smell of wild garlic.A beautiful,charismatic island.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back