• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vga, Hdmi, Dmi (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

I've ordered myself a new laptop computer and I note the VGA out ports are now gone. It HDMI now. My monitor has VGA and DVI ports. What the?

So when I ordered the computer I also ordered an HDMI to DVI monitor cable for $40. The cable arrived today ahead of the new laptop but the cable is too bulky to physically get close to the DVI port on the monitor.

So I have to return it for my $40 back and now need to go to the store for a cable.

So here is the question, what do I lose if at the store they only have HDMI to VGA adapters and don't have a suitable HDMI TO DVI cable?

You will get a noisier signal with VGA as it is analog, the higher the pixel count and the longer the cable run the worse the effects will be.

Can't you put an adapter at the laptop end of the cable if the room is tight at the monitor end?

Thanks. The cable I ordered and need to return has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. The DVI end is too bulky to reach the DVI plug on the back of the monitor. There is no adapter to swap.

I will be going to the store today to see what they have.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back