• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New M Series ? (1 Viewer)

They still look like they retain the plastic locking dioptre - a massive weak link in all of the old Legends.

This design has nothing to do with the old Legend Ultras, so far as I know, but it's definitely a venerable clone at this point:

Zen ED, ED2, ED3 (the original?)
Eagle Optics Atlas Intrepid ED
Vortex Talon
Hawke Sapphire
Others?

I used the Zen ED2 for a couple years and liked it a lot. I gave it to a sister of mine last year. Another sister has used the Atlas Intrepid for years. The design has incredible center sharpness, very low CA, and quite a bit of pincushion. Nothing wrong with the diopter. The design is time-tested at this point and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

I'm surprised Bushnell even bothered to make one without ED glass though, if they really did. ;)

Mark

Last edited:
The L series is on sale at Amazon for $139 so I grabbed one.

I was told by Bushnell that the eyepieces and diopter were a new design to overcome those problem areas in the original Legend Ultra HD. I was also told that the L series is the same optically as the original but improved construction. If this is the case, the Amazon sale price is a stellar deal. I just looked now and the price is down to $137. :t:

Now I get it. I didn't realize that the E and L are updates of the old Legend Ultra while the M is a different design (call it the "classic" twin-bridge clone). The M is an inch longer than the other two so they aren't the same design with added bells and whistles.

It's a bit confusing to call them all Legends when one of these binos is not like the others?

I've been playing around with the 8x42 M series for about a week.
I am not a professional binocular user and have only a little experience, so take my opinion with a grain of salt:

I used to own the Talon HD 8x42 so I have a little bit of experience with this type of design but not a lot.
Its definitely similar to the Talon but different in many ways. It has very tactile eye cups. They are the best ones Ive seen yet. I don't know if tactile is the right word, but the eye cups have no play in them and click into place firmly. The eye cups themselves are not fat and bulky but thinner and fit me perfectly. I like the thinner eye cups over the wider/flat style like leupold has.
There should be plenty of room for eyeglass wearers as I have to have the cups fully extended for the best, non blackout view.
They are lighter by a few ounces than the Talons which I can noticeably feel, but not by much.
The view is surprisingly bright, wide and flat. I wasn't expecting how flat the field of view is. For a $330 bin (on sale at Cabelas till nov) I wasn't expecting too much in the view department, but they are great.
They definitely have a flatter view than my Monarch 7 8x42 I had, and the edge distortion is also less noticeable on the Legends. I think the sweet spot is definitely larger on these than the Monarchs and probably better than the Talons. I know they are brighter than the Talons for sure (thats saying a lot because the Talons are bright themselves)
I can look through these all day getting immersed in the view and pan around without getting dizzy or a headache. They are comfortable for my eyes, and they feel comfortable in my hands.
Locking diopter is a plus, I guess, but Im fine with a non locking one as long as its not too loose.
I haven't had any glare issues yet, but I haven't really been trying to make them flare up.

My only complaints are:
Focus dial has some slop, but when you are focusing while looking through them, you don't notice it much at all..at least I don't. But the focusing itself is smooth, no gritty stickiness.

The locking diopter has a nub on it that gets in the way of the rain guards. The eye cups have to be fully extended for the rain guard to fit all the way down. This nubby thing is so its easier for you to turn it, but I think it just gets in the way.

The objective lens covers snap inside the barrels and that part of them is great. The ring holding them on the outside of the barrels is not so great, just like the Talons..I see them coming off so maybe a little glue or blue locktite to hold them on is in order.

The only other thing I don't really like about them, but this is a total non issue, is all the stickers on them advertising its qualities. Has a huge bright sticker on one barrel and one on a thumb indention letting you know it has a locking diopter as if you couldn't figure this out.
I was worried that these stickers would leave a gummy residue when taken off, but they do not. They come off cleanly leaving it much more discrete looking with no flashily displays on it which I like.
Bushnell obviously made these to come off after you buy them...or keep them on if you like that sort of thing.

I really liked the Talons, but these surprised me and I like them better. They are brighter and the eye cup design is better.

When I bought these, I thought for sure Id be returning them. I kind of bought them on an impulse because they were on sale and only had one left in 8x42, and Ive always liked the open bridge style of a full size.

But Im keeping these for sure. These were a pleasant surprise.

Ill be using them a lot more this week and see if anything stands out..good or bad.

have to update my newbie style review:

Something negative had to show up on these being how inexpensive they are, but still I think they are very good.

Chromatic Aberration shows at objects with bright lighting behind it. There is a mountain behind my house at roughly 1000 yards and its full of Saguaro cactus. When the sunlight is bright, the tops of the cactus turn purple in the upper part of view. When raising the bins up, the tops of the cactus turn green in the lower part of the view. In the direct center I see no aberration at all, but it doesn't take much movement to make it appear. It doesn't show up moving left or right, only up and down. And it only happens with bright sunlight in the background, when sun is in foreground, it doesn't show nearly as bad if at all. I don't know if this is pretty typical but I didn't notice it at all in the monarch 7 8x42 I had nor the Vortex Talons but I also wasn't looking for it.

I at first thought the color was neutral and very natural, but after looking through a bin that is actually neutral, these appear to be on the warm side slightly.

Still real happy otherwise. These are very nice at night for star viewing, bright and sharp details. They are comfortable to use and again I have to say, these are the best eye cup design Ive seen. Very tactile locking into position, they are very solid and the eye cups themselves are shaped perfectly for me, very comfortable. (Leupold needs to take a look at this eye cup design)

I also still cannot get any flare ups, they seem to control glare very well.

Still very impressed for an 8x42 with all the features it has for only $330, even though it shows CA under certain conditions.
Magnesium body
426' @1000 fov
ED glass
Hydrophobic water coatings on exterior lenses
Ultra Wide band coatings
Dielectric coated BAK4 Prisms
Superb eye cup design
locking diotpter.

Im going to put these through the ringer tomorrow and try to get them to flare up and look for CA in different lighting conditions, drop them in water and then take a look without wiping lenses..etc
I can live with the CA under certain lighting on the upper and lower periphery but I know some people can't and they will always see it once they know its there.

Last edited:
I've tried the L 10x42 today, compared with the Vortex Talon, both were new for me. I found them almost on par, optically. The build of the Talon is stronger and feels better in hand with its higher weight and thus more stability with the 10x magn. The Legend L is more compact and light, which I liked, felt good in hand as well (but slightly less than the Talons). The sticking out bit of the diopter ring I didn't like: I have to use it once, now there's always something sticking out I don't need... Focussing was perfect and smooth. Visually I saw as low CA as on the Talons, a bit warmer colour and indeed a little bit brighter. Sharpness was the same imo.

I can get the Legend L for €300 (imported), the Talon for €400. The way the Talon felt in my hands (and the looks) has me in doubt. Weight and size were definitely plus points for the Legend L with at least comparable optics. One minus of the Legend is the somewhat cheaper build...a more plastic feel...and a very stiff central hinge. While everything on the rugged built Talon was strong, professional feeling and every dial and hinge buttersmooth.

Nice competitive bunch, these two.

The L series is on sale at Amazon for $139 so I grabbed one.

I was told by Bushnell that the eyepieces and diopter were a new design to overcome those problem areas in the original Legend Ultra HD. I was also told that the L series is the same optically as the original but improved construction. If this is the case, the Amazon sale price is a stellar deal. I just looked now and the price is down to $137. :t:

Care to report on the L-series? How do you like them?

Care to report on the L-series? How do you like them?

The L-series has the same view as the original Ultra HD. I did own an original as well. Wide FOV & very sharp in the sweet spot but it tapers off pretty quickly like the original Ultra HD. I find this really doesn't bother me because of the wide field. I bought them to keep in my vehicle and they do well there. I use them daily. In my case the price was my main reason for purchasing as I suspected the view would be similar to the Ultra HD, which I did enjoy.

The construction quality is better in general. Items of note would be an improved diopter adjustment, eyecup design, & the armor is better. Overall it is a better build and I would recommend them.

If you are purchasing as a primary glass in this price range there are others that should consider a look. It is getting to be a pretty loaded class. One I would seriously consider is the Carson ED HD. They do have a smaller FOV but I think the Carson's punch above their price point in every way.

I can't believe what we can get these days for under $300.

Hi, everybody!
Members have any first hand experience with this line of binoculars?
Bushnell Legend M 10x42 ($399.99)
vs
Bushnell Elite 10x42 ($399.99)

I expect to have a set of the Ms in 6 to 8 weeks if BushNell replaces my legend ultra HD's which I believe they will do under warranty. I will pay the difference to get upgraded from the standard L replacement to the M and can report back on my findingss

I expect to have a set of the Ms in 6 to 8 weeks if BushNell replaces my legend ultra HD's which I believe they will do under warranty. I will pay the difference to get upgraded from the standard L replacement to the M and can report back on my findingss
Has anybody with a Bushnell Legend M series 10x42 and a Zeiss 10x42 SF compared them in resolution? I would be curious to know if the Outdoor Life review has any validity where it ranks the Bushnell M above the Zeiss SF in resolution.

Attachments

• chart-binoculars-fullsize_desktop2.jpg
    chart-binoculars-fullsize_desktop2.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 338
Has anybody with a Bushnell Legend M series 10x42 and a Zeiss 10x42 SF compared them in resolution? I would be curious to know if the Outdoor Life review has any validity where it ranks the Bushnell M above the Zeiss SF in resolution.

You are a big advocate for trying before you buy. I suggest you just take your own advice here.......

The ''test'' cited seems as arbitrary as any though. The SF [that sample at least] was obviously not very sharp but still had the 2nd highest ''image quality'' score.

Yeah, sure.

Last edited:
Bushnell is performing in front of their 'home crowd' in Outdoor Life magazine: they (with Nikon) are by far the biggest supplier of bins to hunters in the USA.

Lee

I don't really want to try the Bushnell Legend M Series. I know it wouldn't be as good overall as any alpha. I was just curious if there was any validity to Outdoor Life's binocular review. I am looking for somebody that might have both but I guess if you have a Zeiss SF you probably would not have the Bushnell.

Attachments

425.3 KB · Views: 269
I wouldn't mind betting that Bushnell is the brand of binoculars most featured on US tv shows. The B on the hinge end cap makes them highly recognisable and I've spotted them on 24, NCIS, CSI etc

Lee

You are a big advocate for trying before you buy. I suggest you just take your own advice here.......

The ''test'' cited seems as arbitrary as any though. The SF [that sample at least] was obviously not very sharp but still had the 2nd highest ''image quality'' score.

Yeah, sure.
That does seem contrary for the image quality to be rated that highly but the resolution to be rated lowly. How could the image quality be great if it is not sharp. I guess they are referring to other things in the image like contrast and transmission perhaps. The Zeiss SF did score highly in comfort and ergonomics though even if it wasn't that sharp. That says a lot. I have heard the Bushnell M has some build quality problems that make it a deal breaker. I think it was the focus or diopter.

Attachments

425.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
One pal of mine in the States won't touch Bushnells with a long pole due to poor build quality but you can't draw conclusions about a brand from just one person's experience and as mentioned above they are very popular with hunters.

I hesitate to conclude that this says more about hunters than it does about Bushnells :-O

Lee

One pal of mine in the States won't touch Bushnells with a long pole due to poor build quality but you can't draw conclusions about a brand from just one person's experience and as mentioned above they are very popular with hunters.

I hesitate to conclude that this says more about hunters than it does about Bushnells :-O

Lee

Elites are an excellent glass, your friend may be missing out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back