• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

Indeed it was Jane! Not a sniff of the Smig in a good few hours gulling but this was ample compensation.

I spent over an hour staring at this beast - waiting for it to fly in to roost and sensible range... it was close to HE3 - a full 3km out I've since worked out on a nautical map! Of course eventually I had to go and empty my bladder, and while I could pick it up on every scan, when I nipped downstairs for 2 mins, I couldn't find it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2094648&postcount=1296

When you`ve got to go Jane, you`ve got to go! Don`t think there has been as much movement of Gulls from your area to Seaforth over this series of high tides as the last lot.We`ve got the usual build up of LBBs and did have a colour ringed Herring Gull that had been recently photo`d on Hilbre.
Don`t think I`ll be adding to that pile of Casp submissions for Cheshire now that the real Spring is here, they should keep you busy until next Winter anyway!

Hi Jan, well thats interesting. I`ve shown this pic to ten others as well as on here and everyone has said its a Casp, I`m more than willing to hear why its either a LBB as you say or a Casp as Lou says...intriguing!

cheers, Pete.

Do we think is just a dark argentatus?.

I've been looking through photos of a distant gull flock that a smiths-a-like later emerged from!

Attachments

• SANY0004.jpg
    SANY0004.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 66
  • SANY0005-crop.jpg
    SANY0005-crop.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 60
Do we think is just a dark argentatus?.

I've been looking through photos of a distant gull flock that a smiths-a-like later emerged from!

Hi Jane, difficult to say for sure from these pics but the forewing of this bird certainly looks paler than the Smig at Seaforth, and the pale inner primary wedge isn`t as contrasting.Stiil quite a few Argies moving through at the moment including both very dark and very pale 2cys.

hard to tell but inner 2 MC look replaced. even without 2nd gen coverts it would work for caspian. have you ever seen any LBBG with such long legs?

Although I couldn`t get a pic of the bird in flight, it had a very pale underwing, an obvious pale wedge formed by the inner primaries and a "Rough-leg type" tail pattern.

Hi Jane, difficult to say for sure from these pics but the forewing of this bird certainly looks paler than the Smig at Seaforth, and the pale inner primary wedge isn`t as contrasting.Stiil quite a few Argies moving through at the moment including both very dark and very pale 2cys.

Kenny D - who saw both birds and the second one very well is certain the second bird was different - smaller and less dark!

Not that its possible to do anything with the photos

Hi Jan, well thats interesting. I`ve shown this pic to ten others as well as on here and everyone has said its a Casp, I`m more than willing to hear why its either a LBB as you say or a Casp as Lou says...intriguing!

cheers, Pete.

Pete.

I´m not 100% sure about LBBG but with such a bill (if correctly shown in this pic), I don´t see a Caspian in any case. Some more pic would do the trick I guess.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back