• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who makes Falkenhorst binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
In Switzerland, we can get a very good mid-price type of binoculars under the TM (trade name) Falkenhorst. They are nitrogen filled and have a good quality record among my friends. I have tried for some time to figure out the origin of this line, but have not been successful, so far. Though some of the Opticron glasses come close. If some of you would care to look at the product and do their own comparing with what they know, here is the link.

www.weso.ch

It is only in French or in German. But you should have no problems. Just click (in the German version) Fernoptik and then go to Produktauswahl. You'll find the Falkenhorst binoculars with a photograph after passing some microscopes. The line I am interested in comes as "Falkenhorst nitrogen" 7x42 8x42(though it says 8x24 in the window) 10x42 12x50. I doubt that there is a manufacturer that makes these exclusively for this Swiss importing company. Thus the same line should be found under another name as well, but as I said, I have not figured it out yet.

FWIW The Kamakura look like the RSPB range. The RSPB site should link to the RSPB optics pages. The Falkenhorst 8x42 looks like - in terms of FOV and weight - the Opticron 8x42 DBA. They even seem to share the same eye tubes - though the other cosmetics have been changed. However the DBA are not mid-priced but are almost as expensive as premium German/Japanese/Austrian bins. Of course they might tune the coatings and tolerances to suit the customer and hence the price might be somewhat fluid.

I guess some Japanese manufacturer must sell a generic optics and frame and add armour and trimming to the customers requirements?

Leif said:
FWIW The Kamakura look like the RSPB range. The RSPB site should link to the RSPB optics pages. The Falkenhorst 8x42 looks like - in terms of FOV and weight - the Opticron 8x42 DBA. They even seem to share the same eye tubes - though the other cosmetics have been changed. However the DBA are not mid-priced but are almost as expensive as premium German/Japanese/Austrian bins. Of course they might tune the coatings and tolerances to suit the customer and hence the price might be somewhat fluid.

I guess some Japanese manufacturer must sell a generic optics and frame and add armour and trimming to the customers requirements?

think Andy Bright has suggested that for scopes.

The Opticron HR66 and HR66ED look identical but they don't share the same price!!

Leif said:
The Falkenhorst 8x42 looks like - in terms of FOV and weight - the Opticron 8x42 DBA. They even seem to share the same eye tubes - though the other cosmetics have been changed.

Yes, the eye tubes seem to be identical with the Opticrons.

I have not been able to detect a JB number, though there is a printed "Made in Japan" on those Falkenhorst binoculars.

Leif said:

That is how its done...customized standard components, so even if the look a bit different on the outside (which is the purpose)...it might be the same manufacturer, and it might be Kamakura who makes the Opticron as well...(or parts of them)...you never know...
The rumours say that Kamakura is the largest producer of binos in Japan. They make binos for several other manufacturers.

see this website..hmm..textfile... for more binos discussions... and OEM...
http://home.europa.com/~telscope/listp100.txt
some cites from the page:
Subject: Pioneer, USA
I have noticed some discussion about Pioneer research and it's Navy One
binocular. This binocular was marketed by several firms in the late 80's
and early nineties. It was the Bushnell Waterproof Specator, The Vixen,
7X50 Waterproof, and was also a Celestron model. If memory serves me, It
was manufactured by Seiwa Optical Co ltd in Tokyo. J/L code 191.
You also have mentioned the Leupold glasses being made in the USA. I think
a better term would be assembled in the USA. They like the the glasses
made in San Diego by Kama Tech are assembled in the USA, from mostly
imported parts. Kamakura KoKI furnishes parts for the Navy Glass currently
being used, and assembled by KAMA-TECH. This glass is being manufactured
in various forms for Swift, Bushnell,Edmunds, and others. I am sure
someone has put NAVY on this glass, much like Pioneer put NAVY on their
glass, for marketing purposes, and then said it was made in the USA, as
Leupold claims. Bill Beacom aka Binocular Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back