• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

Never seen a Camberwell Beauty in the uk very rare migrant butterfly would be a new tick for me seen them in Sweden and the USA.The in USA they are known by the name Mourning Cloak.In Sweden the Camberwell Butterfly hibernates in wood stacks and in tree holes.They are sometimes found in the UK on timber ships from Sweden

Last edited:
Ross Ahmed said:
***Migrant Watch***

In late Sept/Oct, the Durham Bird Club is holding a Migrant Watch along the length of the the county's coastline.

The coastline will be split into approx 30 zones with clearly marked boundaries e.g. Whitburn CP, Dawdon Blast Beach and Hartlepool Headland will all constitute a zone.

Boundaries are still to be finalised, but the coastline will be split roughly into the following zones:

Marine Parks, Trow Quarry/Leas, Marsden Quarry, Whitburn CP, Whitburn Village, Mere Knolls Cemy, Roker Park, Sunderland North Dock, Tunstall Hills, Hendon, Grangetown Cemy, Ryhope Dene, Seaham Dene, Dawdon Blast Beach, Hawthorn Dene, Beacon Hill, Fox Holes Dene, Hordon, Castle Eden Dene, Blackhall Colliery, Blackhall Rocks, Crimdon Dene, Hart Warren, Steetly, Hartlepool Headland, Hartlepool Bay, Seaton Carew Cemy, North Gare.

Participants are asked to count all species of birds which may be migrants, including grounded birds, flypasts at sea and overhead migrants. The survey will last for approx 3 hours and will take place in the morning.

Instead of being planned for just a single date, the survey will take place on one of three possible dates:

Saturday 23rd September
Saturday 30th September
Saturday 7th October

Participants will be contacted several days beforehand as regards if the survey will take place on the coming Saturday. If weather conditions are looking favourable for an arrival of migrants, then the survey will take place.

If you are interested in covering any of the above zones (even you can only make just one of the dates), then please contact me via PM.

Now young man,
Sounds like this could be a very interesting day....
You can put me down for Suppression Central
Have our Friends in the South been invited to participate ?
Steve

StevieEvans said:
Hiya Dave
Looks like one of your pairs of Barn Owls have young then.
Whats status of that Camberwell Beauty ?
Do you have any news on the Wryneck that the Low Barns ringers netted......?

SE

Two Barn Owls tonight in their favoured tree (both birds were adults). Also twelve Grey Partridge.

Both me and my better half watched in amazement as the Camberwell Beauty flew through the garden, showing its dark colouration and its nearly white margins. Looked through many images, asked Mike Hunter and posted a thread on the forum. All agree that there is nothing else it could have been.

The Wryneck is news to me, when was it caught?

DaveB

DaveB said:
Two Barn Owls tonight in their favoured tree (both birds were adults). Also twelve Grey Partridge.

Both me and my better half watched in amazement as the Camberwell Beauty flew through the garden, showing its dark colouration and its nearly white margins. Looked through many images, asked Mike Hunter and posted a thread on the forum. All agree that there is nothing else it could have been.

DaveB
There two were Camberwell Beauty Butterflies reported from Yorkshire and Suffolk a couple of days ago.There must be more around.

Last edited:
DaveB said:

Sometime today, (Thursday) i'd presume it was this morning ?

The Wryneck i fluked last week came up from my feet more or less at the exact spot where i've flushed Green Woodpecker twice.....

I wonder if this latest one could be feeding out in the open in one of the Low Barns yaffles favoured ant spots..... ?

Local bits & bobs
5 Little Ringed Plover & 2 Green Sandpiper at Hetton Lyons
Elemore Hall woods had a Common Buzzard & an obliging Woodcock which walked 50' along a path in front of the observer & his dogs !

Steve

StevieEvans said:
Sometime today, (Thursday) i'd presume it was this morning ?
Steve

Don't get down to Low Barns too often these days, but I might just pop down there in the morning to check this one out.

Thanks,

DaveB

Last edited:
Low Barns and Wryneck

Forty three different species of birds at Low barns this morning, not including a dead Wryneck. A local farmer brought the bird to the centre yesterday after their cat brought it in to their house. The staff ringed the bird and let it go (after checking that it was unhurt), only to find the bird dead this morning.

Highlights this morning included a Water Rail, two Common Snipe and two Kingfishers on the west pool. Reed Warbler (2+, first record of this species at this site for a good number of years), Sedge Warbler (5+), Garden Warbler (1), Willow Warbler (10+), Chiffchaff (2+), Common Whitethroat (1), Reed Bunting (2), Marsh Tit (2), Willow Tit (1), Blue Tit (3+), Great Tit (1), Long–tailed Tit and Dunnock (1), all in the small bushes, reeds and single tree by the board walk. A Common Sandpiper and a pair of Grey Wagtails were on the river.

Butterflys seen included Comma (1), Peacock (1), Red Admiral (1), Wall Brown (10+) and Small White (4).

Attachments

• Kingfisher@LowBarns_250806.5.jpg
    Kingfisher@LowBarns_250806.5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 128
  • ReedWarbler@LowBarns_250806.1.jpg
    ReedWarbler@LowBarns_250806.1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 147
  • ReedWarbler@LowBarns_250806.5.jpg
    ReedWarbler@LowBarns_250806.5.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 121
  • SedgeWarbler@LowBarns_250806.jpg
    SedgeWarbler@LowBarns_250806.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 126
Excellent afternoon for waders at Whitburn 15 Species seen including 2 Common Sandpiper,3 Bar tailed Godwit ,2 Whimbrel,2 Knot,1 Greenshank,5 Black tailed Godwit,800 Golden Plover and 4 Grey Plover. 1 ad Med Gull as well seen.

Teesmouth Bird Club

The Teesmouth Bird Club meets on the first Wednesday of each month between September and April in the Wynyard Suite of the Billingham Arms Hotel, The Causeway, Billingham at 7.30pm. Non-members welcome.

Wednesday 6th September
Making Your Birding Count,
the work of the BTO
by Derek Toomer​

Barmston

juvenile Spotted Redshank, 1 Common Sand, dozen or so Snipe, + 65 Teal, 1 Wigeon, 2 Gadwall, 1 Swift, 1 Sedge Warbler, (poss Long-eared bat?) and Noctules at Barmston last night.

Two more Little owl territories in via a PM :t:
SE

Last edited:
Ross Ahmed said:
***Migrant Watch***

In late Sept/Oct, the Durham Bird Club is holding a Migrant Watch along the length of the the county's coastline.

The coastline will be split into approx 30 zones with clearly marked boundaries e.g. Whitburn CP, Dawdon Blast Beach and Hartlepool Headland will all constitute a zone.

Boundaries are still to be finalised, but the coastline will be split roughly into the following zones:

Marine Parks, Trow Quarry/Leas, Marsden Quarry, Whitburn CP, Whitburn Village, Mere Knolls Cemy, Roker Park, Sunderland North Dock, Tunstall Hills, Hendon, Grangetown Cemy, Ryhope Dene, Seaham Dene, Dawdon Blast Beach, Hawthorn Dene, Beacon Hill, Fox Holes Dene, Hordon, Castle Eden Dene, Blackhall Colliery, Blackhall Rocks, Crimdon Dene, Hart Warren, Steetly, Hartlepool Headland, Hartlepool Bay, Seaton Carew Cemy, North Gare.

Participants are asked to count all species of birds which may be migrants, including grounded birds, flypasts at sea and overhead migrants. The survey will last for approx 3 hours and will take place in the morning.

Instead of being planned for just a single date, the survey will take place on one of three possible dates:

Saturday 23rd September
Saturday 30th September
Saturday 7th October

Participants will be contacted several days beforehand as regards if the survey will take place on the coming Saturday. If weather conditions are looking favourable for an arrival of migrants, then the survey will take place.

If you are interested in covering any of the above zones (even you can only make just one of the dates), then please contact me via PM.

Ross, 3 more volunteers in from Hoton/Hetton
( & one of thems been getting a bit of practice in at Horden this morning with a RBShrike.)
SE

Last edited:
Hurworth Burn

First time here for along time not to much about apart from two very large flocks of lapwings 100+ and in amongst them also large groups of Starling 100+.
Other birds about:
Grt Crested Grebe
Greylag Geese
Ruddy Duck ( quite a large group of (8)
Gadwal
Pochard
Comorant
Kestrel
Wilow Warbler
Canada Geese
Blk Headed Gull
Grey Heron
Swallow

This evening on east Saltholme Pond. Wood Sandpiper giving quite close views.

Attachments

• IMG_4766ao.JPG
    IMG_4766ao.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 157
DenBee said:
First time here for along time not to much about apart from two very large flocks of lapwings 100+ and in amongst them also large groups of Starling 100+.
Other birds about:
Grt Crested Grebe
Greylag Geese
Ruddy Duck ( quite a large group of (8)

Den
Thats a worrying count for the Ruddies; Last year there were between 54 to 59 throughout August at H.Burn. Possibly indicating how much of an impact the culling is starting to have.....?

Did you have any luck with the Kittiwake ?

Rainton & Joes this morning.

Influx of Snipe with 24 visible at main lake. 1 Dunlin, 1 Green Sand, 2 Curlew, 20 Lapwing
4 Teal, 2 Gadwall, 86 Mallard, 24 Tufted, 6 Dabchick, 56 Coot, 2 MSwan, 39 Canada, 67 Greylag, 18 Moorhen
Lots of warblers at Joes Pond, several juvs; inc 2 Sedge, 3 Reed, 10+ Willow, 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Whitethroat, 10+ Blackcap

A Hobby during the week near Tow Law - we still dont have an account of confirmed breeding for this species in the County.

SE

Attachments

• Hobby2.jpg
    Hobby2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Wood Sandpiper still showing well at Saltholm Teeside today still a few Ruff Greenshank ,Black tailed Godwit.Nearly all the Common Terns have gone now.Nothing much else around in the area.Weather forecast is for strong NW Winds overnight and tomorrow might be ok for a seawatch the rest of the week showers and a SW wind.Most lightly one or two yank waders will turn up.

Rainton & Joe's Pond

Called into these two sites early afternoon, on arriving Kestrel utilising Box outside of centre possibly on the lookout for prey.
Possible Female Scaup although seems early in season on Joe's pond very distinctive white base of bill and rather lighter colouration than Female Tufftie ???????? .
Small Terrapin basking on the Straw bails in centre of pond. Grey Heron perched on dead tree next to sluice gate
Quite a large influx of Canada Geese c50, also Greylag c150 at the main pond of Rainton Meadows, along with Dabchick, Female Ruddy, Sand Martin, Lapwing and usual Mallard and Coot

Last edited:
DenBee said:
Called into these two sites early afternoon

Hi Den, we did the same today. Very little of note in the blustery conditions, but a Turtle Dove was a nice surprise. Watched trying to land in the water of the main pool, before scoping it on the bankside.
It had been seen earlier in the day in flight off the old railway line. (CW et al)

Others locally today included a juvvy Long-eared Owl perched up on a fence post preening, Garden Warbler & Green Sandpiper and 2 Green Sand & an adult Mediterranean Gull on Hetton Lyons Park.

Still no sign of any build up of the usual Little Gull flocks on the mid section of coast...

SE

Attachments

• TURTLE_DOVE_T.M..jpg
    TURTLE_DOVE_T.M..jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back