• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Cormorant

At Low Barns there is this strange looking cormorant - is this what they call a Sinensis Cormorant -or is it just old age - bill looks a bit different too.
Also at Low Barns - flock of 20 siskin quite a few goldeneye, treecreeper, but little else of excitement

Attachments

• cormorant--sinensis.jpg
    cormorant--sinensis.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 83
At Low Barns there is this strange looking cormorant - is this what they call a Sinensis Cormorant -or is it just old age - bill looks a bit different too.
Also at Low Barns - flock of 20 siskin quite a few goldeneye, treecreeper, but little else of excitement

Not the best head angle to say for sure - most reliable seems to be the angle of the gular patch (yellow skin by bill) than anything else. See here for ID guide

The white head is part of the breeding plumage of both. Sinensis are sometimes smaller and sleeker but they overlap.

Snowy owl

Sorry for cross posting but i need some help.

A snowy owl flew away whilst taking part in a falconry display at Kielder yesterday (Sunday 22nd). The bird got spooked by a dog which was off the lead.

This is a captive bred imprinted bird, who's chance of survival in the wild is zero (if it isn't already is soon will be fox food).

If you have seen it can you please pm or email me.

Cheers

Craig.

Last edited:
Houghton Patch 09

Short visit with Fishfinger-man.
Wader passage evident on the main pool, with an impressive 28 Oystercatcher, 5 Snipe, half a dozen Redshank & a Ringed Plover tagging along.
Nice selection of ducks inc 3Gadwall, 3G'eye, 1Ruddy, pr Shelduck
A few other bits & bobs inc 2 Jay, Kingfisher, Treecreeper, 20+Redpoll, Kestrel, 600+Wood Pigeon etc

Not especially bright but tried for a few shots - last time i went out i had to bin them all . . .

Next few days should see GCGrebe re-appearing, with hopefully a Shortie passing through . . .
Steve

Attachments

• 2drakes_.jpg
    2drakes_.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Seagull_.jpg
    Seagull_.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Tuft_.jpg
    Tuft_.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Teals_.jpg
    Teals_.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 79
  • best_foot_forward.jpg
    best_foot_forward.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
At Low Barns there is this strange looking cormorant - is this what they call a Sinensis Cormorant -or is it just old age - bill looks a bit different too...<snip>.....

Colin, im pretty sure you're a DBC member ?

If so you can access the Focus On Cormorants website article written by Ross Ahmed.
(from DBC homepage click Resources then you'll find article under Notes & Papers 2006.)

cheers
Steve

Just got a book out of the library,Where to Watch Birds,North East England,and in the back under Additional Sites it mentions Drinkfield Marsh. Now I'm sure this is the place I've been to before and the place where i lost one of the eyepieces from my old bins-i thought it was Brinkburn Reserve tho.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/143692

Just got a book out of the library,Where to Watch Birds,North East England,and in the back under Additional Sites it mentions Drinkfield Marsh. Now I'm sure this is the place I've been to before and the place where i lost one of the eyepieces from my old bins-i thought it was Brinkburn Reserve tho.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/143692

Drinkfield Marsh is at the north end of Whessoe road, behind the tip (Household Waste Recycling Centre). A couple of years ago it was briefely visited by a Pendulum Tit, rest of the time there's not a lot, just the usual ducks & swans, teenagers etc. Another place is Firth Moor LNR, near Cummins, visited by Waxwings this year. Again a teeager haunt, still an immature reserve. While you're there have a look behind the brick train in summer. I would'nt leave you bikes lying around at any of them!
As both are within a few miles of you I suppose they're worth a rekky when you're feeling lucky.:smoke:

Short visit with Fishfinger-man.
Wader passage evident on the main pool, with an impressive 28 Oystercatcher, 5 Snipe, half a dozen Redshank & a Ringed Plover tagging along.
Nice selection of ducks inc 3Gadwall, 3G'eye, 1Ruddy, pr Shelduck
A few other bits & bobs inc 2 Jay, Kingfisher, Treecreeper, 20+Redpoll, Kestrel, 600+Wood Pigeon etc

Not especially bright but tried for a few shots - last time i went out i had to bin them all . . .

Next few days should see GCGrebe re-appearing, with hopefully a Shortie passing through . . .
Steve

I like your first photo of the teals. I didn't know you were a photographer, though :eek!:

A Brent Goose and a White Fronted Goose in field by entrance to RSPB Salthome around 3.00pm with Canada Goose and Greylag Goose.

Little Egret at Holme Fleet and another in the Tidal Pool and another on Seaton Common.

Stonechat x3 along Zinc Works Road.

Ring-necked Parakeet x1 in Ward Jackson Park though others calling.

Attachments

• IMG_1177ao.JPG
    IMG_1177ao.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1176ao.JPG
    IMG_1176ao.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1182ao.JPG
    IMG_1182ao.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1194ao.JPG
    IMG_1194ao.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1267aoo.JPG
    IMG_1267aoo.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 69
Houghton Patch 09

Welcome to life as a bird photographer Steve;):t:

Glenn, I reckon you'll take some beating when it comes to the binning game ;)

An hour or two this afternoon, produced little out of the ordinary, other than return of the Barnacle Megaphone Goose - its latched onto a Canada & was letting everyone know it ! What a noisy bird, although it takes my Local list onto a nice round 100 species for the year.
The Fish Fingerman reappeared & we strolled round as the sun broke out.
3Jays, couple of Kes, Willow Tits, cock Yellowhammers, no sign of yestdays Plover.
Some subtle signs of birds moving today, with 4-5Pied Wagtails, a single high Greenfinch & a couple of Mipits all moving north.

CW reported a Merlin (which myself & fishfinga man let slip by us in yestdays millisecond view) & a Little Owl nr R.Bridge

Attachments

• wtit1_.jpg
    wtit1_.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 91
  • GI_.jpg
    GI_.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Baldy_.jpg
    Baldy_.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 68
  • barnicle_.jpg
    barnicle_.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Ltt_.jpg
    Ltt_.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 93
Hey Stevie those picture are really good!
Did you get a camera for your scope (digi-scopeing I think it is called) or is it like a camera? (I am not good on technical language)
AK

Last edited:
A handfull from Cresswell & Blyth yesterday:

Report on N/umberland thread but main spectacular sight was about 1500 Pinkies in the air which were flushed from a field by a light aircraft, also 80ish twite on the dunes and plent action at Blyth Quayside from the 28 eider and gulls etc.

Attachments

• _74H4360.jpg
    _74H4360.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 73
  • _74H4558.jpg
    _74H4558.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 62
  • _74H4692.jpg
    _74H4692.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 85
  • _74H4761.jpg
    _74H4761.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 86
  • _74H4853.jpg
    _74H4853.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 60
Waxwings

Park View Community School, tall trees outside of the grounds:
30-50 Waxwings. Showing extremely well!
I attached 3 photos I took them with the camera on my mobile.
They are terrible photo's but thought I'd post them anyway.:t:

Attachments

• Waxwing - Chester-le-street.jpg
    Waxwing - Chester-le-street.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 82
  • Waxwing - Chester-le-street (2).jpg
    Waxwing - Chester-le-street (2).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Waxwing - Chester-le-street (3).jpg
    Waxwing - Chester-le-street (3).jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Waxy - Location.jpg
    Waxy - Location.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Saltholme 25-2-2009

Saltholme today 25-2-2009.

Seen the following from 10:45am till 14.00pm

Little Egret x 3
Heron x 1
Sparrow Hawk x 1
Coots/Teals/Shell Ducks/Shoveler/Gadwall/Wigeon

Greatham Creek 15:00 pm

1 X Little Egret / Snipes / Teals / Lapwings .

Also Nice to meet Ian F .

Carl Gorse

Houghton Non Motorised Local Patch 09

Headed west to try to find a bit of shelter along the burn, near Sedgeletch, rather than the open & windswept RM's area.(14:00-18:00)

Fair selection. Mistle Thrush building close to home & 1 attempting to mob a hovering Kestrel - falcon didnt bat an eyelid.
All the usual waterside species, with several Kingfishers, Grey Wags & Dipper.
A pair of Buzzard soared over the estate & a third much closer calling from a likely looking tree . . .
Green Woodpecker was a good local record, perhaps a wandering non-breeder, but probably easiest time of year to pick them up, and three Treecreepers gave good views with my first songster of the year.
A pre roost assembly of mixed finches was noteworthy, 100+ birds of several species, including Goldfinch, Linnet, Chaffinch, Greenfinch in the tops of hybrid Poplars, beneath a large unruly Privet hedge - presumably the roost site.

Great garden year tick while loading up this morning - flyover Bullfinch at 07:30.

Attachments

• kes_.jpg
    kes_.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 76
  • charming_.jpg
    charming_.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 79
  • creepa_.jpg
    creepa_.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Gwag_.jpg
    Gwag_.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 88
  • charmed_.jpg
    charmed_.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back