• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Only three 'recent' records for Durham - 1981, 1984 and 1985. There's actually been more Thrush Nightingales in recent years - 4 records between 1985 and 1997. The nearest breeding Nightingales (as far as I'm aware) are south of the Humber.

Mark

Thanks for that detail Mark. Looks like I'll have to travel south to a reliable location

Hi All

Can anyone give me direstions to 'Port Clarence Flood'? I am pretty familiar with the Sealsands/Saltholme area now, but can't find this particular spot.

Thanks

Matt

Hi All

Can anyone give me direstions to 'Port Clarence Flood'? I am pretty familiar with the Sealsands/Saltholme area now, but can't find this particular spot.

Thanks

Matt

It's the area behind the houses at the left end of Back Saltholme when viewed from the road. You can view it from the roadside at Calor Gas Pool though a more open view can be had from the 'triangle' - either way the viewing distance is great and really needs a decent scope to have any chance of correctly identifying anything - even more difficult now that there's a lot of heat haze around.

Just for info - a Black Stork was located in upper Deepdale yesterday around the area of Crag Pond. Seen by a couple of experienced observers.

A visit to Saltholme yesterday morning. It was nice to see so many Common Terns back and creating the usual racket. Good views of them from Paddy's Pool hide. The Great Crested Grebe nest there seems to have failed. Some are blaming the fox den just across the marsh towards the Saltholme Hide. The cubs were sat out in the sun yesterday - better viewed from by the gate/ screen near the Saltholme hide.

Very little on the Bottom Tank or at Wildlife Watchpoint.

Saltholme Hide - several Yellow Wagtail in front of the hide every 20-30 mins. Common Terns hovering to feed out the north side with Redshank x3, Little Ringed Plover x2, Heron, Gadwall and Wigeon x2 all giving close views. There was a distant white headed goose with the Canadas though it was too distant to say in the heat haze whether it's an aberrant Canada or a Barnacle. A Barnacle Goose has been reported the last few days. Hare x4 out boxing on the marsh as well.

Dormans Pool - brief views of Marsh Harrier. Lots of Swifts around again. Brief views of Cetti's Warbler - I've been told one had been trapped twice there now which already had a ring on it. There's believed to be another with no ring. Several Dingy Skipper by the top car park.

Attachments

• IMG_7429aa.jpg
    IMG_7429aa.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7318a.jpg
    IMG_7318a.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7456a.jpg
    IMG_7456a.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7120a.jpg
    IMG_7120a.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6897a.jpg
    IMG_6897a.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 78
Cetti's Warblers

Is it possible that the Cettis are breeding here. Or is it 2 males? If so is it good practice for them to be netted during breeding season - risking the birds to take flight and leave young ones behind. Bird ringers seem to have a tick list of birds they want net - netting ringed birds time and time again is just plain wrong!!!! whether it is for "science" or not.

A really good day out in the west of the county today despite dipping the Black Stork.

Initially I headed to Barnard Castle for a walk along Tees Banks Woods and then into the lower end of Deepdale.

Parking by the 'silver bridge' as it's now being called - it was always called the 'pipe bridge' when I was a kid - as soon as I got out of the car I heard a Pied Flycatcher calling the first one I've actually heard this year though I've seen several. I tracked it down to the trees around footbridge over Percy Beck where it was moving between the trees on either side of the beck. It certainly wasn't there when I last visited.

The bandstand pebbles were very quiet with just a pair of Pied Wagtails though several Swallow, House Martin and Swift were feeding above the river. The only other birds I could see were Mallard. Even the Nuthatches weren't around their nest tree.

No sign of the Tawny Owls this morning I think they must have fledged and moved on but whilst looking for them a Redstart and another Pied Flycatcher were calling from the trees higher up the bank. Another Pied Flycatcher was calling from the trees opposite the bottom end of Water Boatmans Island.

I didn't venture any further upriver this visit as I wanted to check lower Deepdale as well so I headed back to the 'silver bridge' and across into Deepdale. 50m in by where the bankside has been reinforced with stone blocks another Pied Flycatcher was in the trees on the far bank and every now and again checking out a nest box. Willow Warbler, Robin and Wren were flitting about as well as a family of Treecreeper. This area always used to be good for them and it was again today with 8-9 of them flitting about. There were two adults and the rest were juveniles. It was quite comical watching them flit around sometimes with three on the same tree and the adults feeding them every now and again though mostly they seemed to be doing well enough for food on their own.

In the first area of Blackthorn were several Garden Warbler, Blackcap. Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Thrush and Blackbird - all very actively searching for bugs.

The next area of Blackthorn held Blackcap. Chaffinch and Bullfinch. Across the other side of the beck was another Pied Flycatcher on territory singing and protecting a rather precariously angled nest box almomst fallen off the tree though I don't think it has a mate yet. A pair of Nutchatch were busy taking food into a hole in a neighbouring tree with a pair of Blue Tits doing likewise in a knot hole above them. Mistle Thrush and a Jay were busy travelling back and forth through the trees as well as pair of noisy Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

I followed the Woodpeckers into Raygill where I saw them using the same nest tree as a couple of years ago. Another Pied Flycatcher was in the same area. I'm kicking myself now though as I was stood by the gate leading to Raygill Farm and Osmond Flatt Farm where I later saw the Black Stork was reported as being present about the same time as I arrived but I didn't see it nor afterwards when I had a ride onto the moor road through Lartington. Two Cuckoo were calling as well one from over towards Raygill farm and the other from the south side of Deepdale.

I then retraced my steps back to the car seeing much the same again. The only new find was a Spotted Flycatcher perched on the wires opposite the entrance to Deepdale. It flew into the trees when somone came over the bridge. The first local one I've seen this year.

I then headed over to the Stang for a picnic lunch. Not much at all in the forest just a few Siskin, Mistle Thrush, Chaffinch and Robin.

A very short walk through Brignall Banks Woods where I've been meaning to check for several year yielded another dozen Pied Flycatchers and two Redstarts plus Dipper and Grey Wagtail along the beck. I didn't have time to do the area justice really for a proper check but it's fair to say the woods were 'alive' with singing birds.

A ride along to Barnigham and up onto the moor past Brag House yielded quiet a few moorland birds such as Golden Plover x10 in a flock, several Oystercatcher, Curlew, Linnet, Lapwing, Red Grouse and Buzzard. A nice find was a Cuckoo perched on telephone wires beside the road. Lots of Geese around as well.

All in all it was a pretty good day and quite unexpected the number of Pied Flycatcher.

Attachments

• IMG_8245aoo.jpg
    IMG_8245aoo.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8362a.jpg
    IMG_8362a.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8719ao.jpg
    IMG_8719ao.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8792ao.jpg
    IMG_8792ao.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9068ao.jpg
    IMG_9068ao.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 86
No sign of Black Stork from 1200-1700 around Lartington. There seemed to be lots of shooting in Deepdale Wood, probably Rooks. Common Buzzard, Kestrel, Curlew, Swallow, House Martin seen.

I have just recently started bird watching so am very much a novice. Today I saw a bird in the garden which I have not seen before. On checking the books I have it appears to be a Rock Dove though the books say they are usually found in north Sotland and Ireland.
Is it normal for such a bird to be found in Durham.

Noel

I have just recently started bird watching so am very much a novice. Today I saw a bird in the garden which I have not seen before. On checking the books I have it appears to be a Rock Dove though the books say they are usually found in north Sotland and Ireland.
Is it normal for such a bird to be found in Durham.

Noel
Hi there it will be a Feral Pigeon very common in towns,cities and you see them on sea cliffs.Some Feral pigeons can look very like true Rock Doves.You dont get Rocks Doves in England or Wales.

A few handfulls from over the Holiday Weekend.

Lapwing, Curlew, Oystercatchers and Pied Flycatcher from Muggleswick area.

Attachments

• _MG_1935.JPG
    _MG_1935.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_2243.JPG
    _MG_2243.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_2342.JPG
    _MG_2342.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_9163.JPG
    _MG_9163.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_9165.JPG
    _MG_9165.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 54
A few chick shots from Hardwick Park.

Mallard, Mute Signet and Coot.

Attachments

• _MG_2346.JPG
    _MG_2346.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_2379.JPG
    _MG_2379.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_2390.JPG
    _MG_2390.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_2397.JPG
    _MG_2397.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_2401.jpg
    _MG_2401.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 51
Some from Saltholme Bottom Tank, taken yesterday.

Birds present on the pond:
Gadwall, shoveler, redshank, shellduck and single greenshank and BT godwit.

Attachments

• _MG_9190.jpg
    _MG_9190.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_9456.JPG
    _MG_9456.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_9497.JPG
    _MG_9497.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_9554.jpg
    _MG_9554.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_9557.jpg
    _MG_9557.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 53
And Finally a couple of Meadow Pipits and Barn Owl from Coatham Stob, also taken yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_2544.JPG
    _MG_2544.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_2564.jpg
    _MG_2564.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 95
  • _MG_2606.jpg
    _MG_2606.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_2653.jpg
    _MG_2653.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 113
  • _MG_2681.JPG
    _MG_2681.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 51
Hi there it will be a Feral Pigeon very common in towns,cities and you see them on sea cliffs.Some Feral pigeons can look very like true Rock Doves.You dont get Rocks Doves in England or Wales.

Thank you for replying.
Just to confirm my sighting - here are a couple of photos I took.
Noel

Attachments

• IMG_0870(1).JPG
    IMG_0870(1).JPG
    362 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0875(1).JPG
    IMG_0875(1).JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 86
TBC Day Trip to Bempton Cliffs & Flamborough Head

DAY TRIP TO RSPB BEMPTON CLIFFS & FLAMBOROUGH HEAD ON SUNDAY 27TH JUNE 2010

A summer trip has been arranged to RSPB Bempton Cliffs & Flamborough Head in East Yorkshire for Sunday 27th June 2010. First visit of the day will be to Bempton Cliffs to see, ‘smell’ and listen to more than 100,000 seabirds. The cliffs will be alive with nesting Gannets, Puffins, Kittiwakes, Fulmars, Razorbills and Guillemots, so it is ideal for close views and photographs of these wonderful seabirds. Then we will leave mid afternoon and visit Flamborough Head which is another ideal birdwatching site for seabirds.

The 33-seated coach will collect people at the following pickup points:

Hartlepool (M&S Car Park) 08:00

Stockton High Street (ex-Swallow Hotel) 08:15

Middlesbrough (Dorman’s Museum) 08:30

The cost will be £14.00 and a packed lunch will be required.

TO BOOK A PLACE, PLEASE CONTACT JOHN TODD AND SEND A £5 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT:

Email: [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back