• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees 2014 (1 Viewer)

Another little sortie this morning produced Citril Finch, Crested Tit, Firecrest and Goldcrest (definately in the minority here)...

I forgot to mention whilst walking home at dusk the other night (Tuesday) and Corncrake landed on the road in front of me!! He then dropped over a low wall and as I walked up he flushed in the fields nearby. What an incredible sighting - I was amazed by the length of his legs - this actually is the first time I have 'properly' seen one - and first for 30 odd years!

Attachments

• IMG_0264(1).JPG
    IMG_0264(1).JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0268(1).JPG
    IMG_0268(1).JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0269(1).JPG
    IMG_0269(1).JPG
    351 KB · Views: 96
Holidays (again!). This time back to Gruissan for a well needed rest - yeah right. Spent most of yesterday repairing the car and a chunk of todya repairing the bikes!!

En-route to the camp site 4 White Storks, a couple of Marsh Harriers, Sparrowhawk and a Cettis Warbler calling by the road.

Excited in anticipation of the next few days. Looks like wind hasn't been that good lately so not much passage but then that brings other birds...

Not a lot here apart from Mosquitoes (lots of heavy rain before we got here)! Unfortuantely, there hasn't been any significant wind for at least two weeks which means that most 'usual' stuff has chosen other migration routes. Been onto the marshes - didly - although did get a large looking Hobby which got the blood pressure up.

One Black Stork, some Little Stints and supporting cast, Wood Sand, Dunlin, Ruff etc.

Anyway, today there actually was some wind so off to the migration watchpoint at Gruissan - Roc de Conihac. A few Sparrowhawks (probably 40 on the afternoon) some Chaffinch etc., Kestrels, one poss Hobby (I didn't see it), 9 Crag Martins. Then at 4pm I found myself alone. 5 mins later a distant Eagle but which one - Short Toed or Bonellis - it was right at the limit of telescoping but looked like it was a 'local' which points to the later. Then about 45 minutes later 2 both being very acrobatic and looked asthough hunting along the edge of the cliff. In fact there was the juvenile sat on the cliff edge and the parents were encouraging it (I guess) to stop sitting around! So a family of Bonellis Eagle - great.

These were followed by a stack of 45 White Storks arriving from Narbonne. OK so there were small numbers dotted around but seeing a large group is always interesting.

Finally, 3 Booted Eagles on migration - two clear and one dark - together.

I guess a very slow day was saved by a great finish.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 106
I love this thread, the birds, especially the Raptors but Bluethroat and Wall Creeper or has some all it "The Butterfly Bird" would top my list along with the lammys, booted, short toed, ext ext lol.
I'd love a week at this location. Ratal maybe worth a look for 2016.

I'm not trying to hi-jack Rosbif's thread but we've been going to his area since 1997, usually in September (when the French have gone back to work) and it's the only place which draws us back year after year. So, BB and Ratal do make the effort, I'm sure you'll not regret it but you might not want to leave after a week. Most of the birds on my France page (link below) were from that area.

Thank you for the comments - should point out that the last couple of 'posts' have been in Gruissan on a short holiday. Bonellis are rare by us (maybe one or two annually) and Bluethroat more coastal migration.

Birdwatching has been challenging because of the girls demands for beach and pool - beach in the morning then pool in the afternoon - I used to be able to strap them in to the car seat and drive around during their afternoon sleeps!

Anyway, went back to find the bluethroat but was a little distant. No Moustached Warbler, Penduline or Bearded Tits this visit (usually get two from the three)!

Did get a distant Pelican - they are escapes here from the African Reserve (actually went yesterday) - but occassionally there are 'real' ones here. I will have to check the criteria for wild or not in the area. A distant (just because it's) flying bird would not qualify I guess....

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 85
Interesting to see your comments , I am very house bound but luckily in my garden everyday. Joined this today as enjoy seeing birds every day and want to know more about them.

Last edited:
Interesting to see your comments , I am very house bound but luckily in my garden everyday. Joined this today as enjoy seeing birds every day and want to know more about them.

A good place to start is around the garden and the places you know. That way you get to know the 'commoner' birds, their calls and their habits.

I see from 'your' thread that you are south of Pau. The beauty of this area is that almost anything can pass here on migration and you're inbetween the mountains and the plains. Great viewing.

Lived here since a long time . I know some of the commoner birds and especially the ones that are in my garden most days but when see other birds in the garden or they fly over not sure what they are .
Thats mostly why I've joined this.

Two months since I have written - blimey. Been on holiday and then as usual on our return it was a case of working (darn it!)

Took the oppourtunity today to blow the dust off the binos and head out for some birding. Lots of winter arrivals - Chaffinch, Robins, Greenfinch, Goldfinch etc. around the fields above Lourdes. A green Wood and then on the military base a Black Shouldered Kite - that is what I went for. Fantastic. I had to be careful because the base is closed during the week but I snuck on as the gate was open and then beat a hasty retreat as I could see the military on the firing range! There have been reports of Richards Pipit in the same spot as last year but I couldn't risk going further...

On the way home I stopped for Wallcreeper and failed although did see a few Griffons and a Peregrine. I keep looking out of the breakfast window for the Wallcreeper but haven't seen them this winter, in the village, yet.

Anyway, great to be back up and running.

Hi Charles, hope you're well and glad you saw the kite. What's happening with BS Kites these days, are they becoming regular north of the Pyrenees?

Hi Larry,
You need to bring the van back down here!

Black Shouldered Kites is an amazing success story - there are now comfortably more than a hundred pairs north of me - the first pair was 1992... They breed like rabbits and can be on the nest from March through to November so for a big chunk of the year as well. I think there has been a breeding record as far as Nantes now but for me the easiest place is Pau.

A roost site in Hautes Pyrenees had a top count of 50 birds during winter - must've looked like a christmas tree. Apparently the birds only start turning up about 30 mins after dark so not that easy to see!

I'm afraid to day was much of a muchness! After Alpine Accentor and a pair of Lammys whilst skiing took Dad out for a birdshop (birdwatching to and from the cash and carry). It was hard work with birds few and far between. That said the first was a fantastic male Hen Harrier followed by lots and lots of Stonechats!

Work got harder as no shrikes round the military camp nor the Richards Pipits nor Black Shouldered Kite - hard work! Did score three Dartford Warblers but none within photo range.

The airport finally produced The Black Shouldered Kite, Reed Bunting and buckets of Skylarks. Then a Great White Egret some Cattles and lastly a field full of Lapwings tucked away in the corner - about 500. Couldn't pick out any Golden Plovers though.

Griffons on the way home but as I said had to cover a lot of ground for not many birds. There are weather warnings for the end of the week and next so things could pick up a bit...

Hi Brenda,
Bs kite at tarbes airport - usually overwinter quite regularly... This one was sat on the aiport fence near the plane Breakers' yard.
Charles

Hi Charles,
B-s Kite is now at the top of my list for the next visit in Spring/Summer. Do you mean Tarbes as in Ossun and is this in addition to Pau? Keen to see these cracking birds as we missed them in Extremadura last year.
ATB
David

The stronghold in France is between Pau and Aire sur Adour. In winter they spread around a bit more - I find them regularly around the Ossun airport. Up to three birds. That said and I think mentioned earlier in this thread there is a roost in the Haute Pyrenees (65 is our region - administrative centre - Tarbes) where a maximum of 55 was recorded - I don't know the site.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back