• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampstead Heath Pond Project (1 Viewer)

christine

Thought i'd have a wander on Hampstead Heath today, but my usual places have been turned into construction sites due to the Corporations Pond Project. Two of the actual ponds were also no-go zones, so no joy there, although i did manage to spot a couple of Swans who had decided to hang on in there. All in all, very disappointing, but a pair of Cormorants near the mens bathing pond cheered me up a bit.

The project hasn't gone down well with some locals; you can read a bit more about it (both for and against) from these links:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/hampstead-heath/ponds-project/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.protectourponds.org.uk/

Hi Christine

I used to live there and often wandered by the ponds and up the hill - many, many moons ago now. Such a shame I wasn't a bird watcher then though.

I'll have to read up on what's going on there... thanks for the links.

Apparently they're building new dams in an effort to stop a potential mass flooding incident in the future. I think campaigners are worried that the new dams will look unsightly, as they'll obviously be far higher than they are now, but i think with natural landscaping it'll blend in soon enough. It's costing 15 Million quid though, not exactly small change -- i'd love to know how works like this are calculated.

Have to say that at the moment it looks awful as what were once nice ponds and fields are now construction sites. Hopefully they'll be finished by the spring and life on the Heath will get back to normal.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back