• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about AF points (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Despite the E-30 having 11 AF points to choose from I have discovered that I usually get the best results by using just the centre one. Recently I have discovered something which seems a bit odd and I am not sure if it indicates a problem with my camera. Each AF point consists of 2 vertical bars with 2 dots between them at the top and 2 more at the bottom. As you half press the shutter button the vertical bars on the centre AF point illuminate to indicate correct focus. I have noticed that sometimes when I do this the left bar on the AF point to the right of the centre one illuminates at the same time. I am not sure if this is a problem or if it is normal. Has anyone else noticed this on their camera?

I am getting the impression that my E-30 does not focus as well as my E-510 and that I am rejecting many more photos for being OOF than I used to. I haven't done any tests to confirm this but I wondered if the query about the AF point indicates a fault in the focusing system on my camera. On the other hand perhaps the problem is my poor technique.

Ron

Do you have the camera set to spot metering too? I suppose it isn't necessary, but I use both spot metering and the center point focusing on my E-520.

Do you have the camera set to spot metering too? I suppose it isn't necessary, but I use both spot metering and the center point focusing on my E-520.
I normally use pattern metering. I suppose I could give spot metering a try to see if it makes any difference.

The bar on the right hand target lights up more dimly than the centre ones, so I wonder if there is a problem. I tried setting the AF area to 'small' to see if that helped but I had trouble focusing at all when I did that. I might see if I can get Olympus to respond to an email about the 'problem'. I don't know how willingly they respond to emails.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back