• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black & white photography question (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I am attending a wedding where the theme is 'black & white'. Someone has asked me if I will take some photos of 'their family' in black & white (just for them).
Never having done it (since my Brownie 127 days) I wonder, is it best to set the camera to B&W or shoot as normal and convert in Fotofiltre / PS3.
Obviously if I shoot as normal and convert then they have the choice whereas (I assume) if I set the camera to B&W then that is the only choice.......but will the quality be any good in comparrison.

I'd shoot normally and convert later. RAW too if you now your way round that.

Some weddings want 1000s of shots where JPEG can be just as good and a tme saver, but I do weddings in RAW. Then I would convert into B&W after looking at the image levels in colour - that's just personal preference.

Good luck

(take spare batteries!)

Photoshop CS3 has a new (when it came out) Black and White adjustment that lets you adjust the amount of the different colour channnels so you can create the effect you want.

Is it different than their "channel mixer" function? If not, that is covered in the link I provided and is by far my favorite method for converting color to black and white! It's a great feature!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back