• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chrissy's Wildlife Art (1 Viewer)

Thanks Nick, I do tend to use masking fluid quite a lot. Working with coloured pencils for a while has got me in the habit of reverse colour. All the lights and brights first.
I tend to draw my subjects out in a very light pencil quite loosely and then I use a masking fluid rubber pointed thingy (I am hopeles at technical names ;-) )and paint masking fluid lines where I want them. Not necessarily an outline. However, because the deer was an actual photo reference taken into the sun, the edge of that one are all very light.
I do like this method, it means I can indeed splash the paint with a little more abandon...|:D|

I've always avoided maskling fluid thinking that it would get in the way of spontaneity even though its purpose is the opposite. But you show how well it can be used. There was something that immediately struck me about the paintings and Nick has pointed out exactly what it is. Continue with your painterly abandon!

freely adapted color works well in these, and the nature of watercolor is used quite well in the freedom of application

Thanks all :D
Meanwhile, I got quite inspired by Clive in here. I have never used graphite or pencil for a piece of work and I had a photo that was crying out for something like it. I took it last year and an art piece was hovering around in my mind.
Unlike Clive who, judging from his blog is fairly meticulous and works an area at a time, I never do that even with coloured pencils. It would drive me mad, I have to zip around a bit. I also used quite a variety of pencils including water soluable, a retractable writing pencil, a 6b, a graphite stick and my trusty Jakar.
I have to say, I really enjoyed every moment of doing this...
I might tone the eyes down a little yet, make them slightly more lemon, I am not really sure yet ~ best to give it a couple of days.
tiger.JPG

very striking, and yes, wait a few days before thinking about changing anything, doubt you'll need to.

A Jakar eraser
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JAKAR-BATTE...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266011357&sr=8-1

A most amazing piece of kit for the money, although in fairness...I spend a little bit more on those rubbers ;-)
I am just waiting for a Derry quote here...and am too sozzled to respond, I hit the Cointreau earlier!

I'll leave the 'rubber' comments for Nick or others.;) But thanks for the info. If I ever go back to my charcoal drawings I burn through erasers with them, mainly because I use compressed charcoal drawn with just about as much pressure as humanly possible. Makes beautiful rich blacks. Then I want to erase and get back to the white of the paper.

Nearly impossible. But I used to use an eraser meant to erase ink from film. That was the best I could find for removing the compressed charcoal. Sadly it's no longer made. So I've been wondering about an electric eraser. But I've never been able to find any recommendations for one. Yours is the first I've gotten and so I may give it a try.

You know it's surprising what you can learn when you ask questions!

I like it as is, the eyes a bit grey works with the pencil, nice work for a new media, you def have a future with it.

Just tried to Jakar in the US and all the google was UK, What a cool gadget, I have a plug in one but it's heavy and a nusience to plug in and out as no plugs are near my drawing table. Can't wait to find one over here.

Last edited:
gaaah! am too tired to find any witty responses! Just got up to go to the airport, Britain here I come. Mmmm, Cointreau! Mixed with chocolate milkshake it is delicious, and also rather dangerous, I think that was what I had been drinking when I decided to dance naked on a hill one night singing Bonnie Tyler's greatest hits.

Colleen and Ken, it is a very cool bit of kit for something that is pretty cheap and cheerful. I use rechargeable batteries in it and it's great because it is so portable.
I am sure you could get one sent from over here, the nearest thing I could find for you locally was on the bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HELIX-AUTO-ERAS...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad39a17e8
It looks pretty similar to me...but a bit expensive. Jacksons art supplies do them here as well, even with shipping, it is likely to be cheaper.
As for Nick and -naked~singing~dancing~hill|8.|
The world should be glad to know that I did none of those things, the saftest thing I did was to put a few quid in my sons account to pay for some extra heating this week - I can hear echoes of "sucker" in my head or is that the headache, lol!

Oh and thank Arthurs and Clive, you must have posted whilst I was writing. Clive, I do like references where the eyes are dominant. Like you I tend to work from photographic reference but I nearly always use my own to get the effect I want, I loved this one. He was sleeping and opened those eyes as I was clicking away.

Last edited:
Tim, thank you
An electric eraser wouldn't be too much use in watercolour I don't suppose. However, for anyone working in coloured pencil they are great. Coloured pencil can be really difficult if you wish to change something and although putty rubbers will help, as will blue tac...to really shift something you need to go electric. They are also good for removing small areas i.e whiskers on animals which can be a challenge
The problem is that these are usually expensive £50 - £60 and require a plug. This litle battery operated version is good value for money and is very effective at doing the same sort of thing.
Colleen, sorry I forget how different our speak can be. kit = tools, equipment

I know what you mean about January Chrissy, I suffer the same thing. It looks like you're over it though, the tiger is particularly nice.

Mike

I know what you mean about January Chrissy, I suffer the same thing. It looks like you're over it though, the tiger is particularly nice.

Mike

Thanks Mike, in fact on the advice of someone else I started to take some vitamins heavily laden with Vitamin D and a little iron. Sorted me out a treat :t:
I am still maxed out at work so not getting as much done as I would like but that is the way of it sometimes... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back