• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new nestbox visitor! (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
When we checked for any pictures yesterday evening, we found that Box 1 had been visited for the first time this month. First of all a beak showed, very tentatively, then later a bird went inside. The visit was very brief - only one photo was captured. Could this little wren be looking for a cosy roosting place? Malcolm and I had a disagreement about the nest seen here - because the female vanished after building it, it has stayed quite clean, and he feels it can be left, but I'm wondering if this is the right thing to do.

The squirrel again went onto Box 2. :C

Attachments

• wren1.jpg
    wren1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 116
  • wren2.jpg
    wren2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 136
Elizabeth Bigg said:
When we checked for any pictures yesterday evening, we found that Box 1 had been visited for the first time this month. First of all a beak showed, very tentatively, then later a bird went inside. The visit was very brief - only one photo was captured. Could this little wren be looking for a cosy roosting place? Malcolm and I had a disagreement about the nest seen here - because the female vanished after building it, it has stayed quite clean, and he feels it can be left, but I'm wondering if this is the right thing to do.

Hi Elizabeth,

Yes, this is typical roosting behaviour and a typical roost sites for wrens. Some birds have been fooled by the mild weather and day length (blue tits were building again a few weeks ago) but some birds use this facility for another reason. Tree sparrow juveniles from this year will build an autumn nest as a demonstration to attract a mate and this is often used for a winter roost. This is not quite the case with wrens but the record for one nest box is over 30 I believe (I am sure someone will supply the exact figure). Keep us posted, it is possible this will just be a single bird occupancy but there is a chance for more.

Ian

Your Wren is looking a bit lost in there, I hope it finds some more to keep snuggled up to, I had one sit in the open last week, looking into the house and singing in the upper reaches of the shrub by the front table, looked sweet though, and its singing was beautiful! Fantastic for its size, but as for the other nest box, I do hope the rodent clears off soon, that is one you really don't need, despite the metal patch that is not going to keep Squirrel out for too long if determined to break in. Have you thought of putting scrunched up wire on the top of the box, or twigs of hawthorn or Blackthorn around the box to diffuse the shape, preventing the sit on top opportunity. I would be inclined to try that.

Lucky you Elizabeth :t:

We've had Wrens in the woven roosting pockets which are only a foot or so off the ground but never a Wren in the camera nestbox which is pretty high on a wall. Mind you a Great Tit has been rooting in it overnight for the last month.

Hi EB, yes your little wren is looking for a roosting place, Ian was saying about a record for roosting wrens, i read somewere it stands at 50ish, but i can't remember were it was. Alas there was quite a death toll, due to suffocation. As regards your tit nest i would most certainly clean it out, and leave it fresh for next spring, just my opinion.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back