• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chobe NP, Botswana - July - Brown Snake Eagle? (1 Viewer)

masonflint

The numbers/variety of raptors in Africa confounds. I have dozens of bad photos of raptors that I'm digging through (don't worry, I won't post all of them...). This one seems to be one that may be identifiable despite the significant cropping/blurriness.

Based on what I've seen in books and online, the overall brown color and apparent grayish legs seems to suggest Brown Snake Eagle but the short tail and light patch on the throat in one photo makes me wonder whether I'm missing something. Could it be a juvenile Bateleur? Something else?

Would appreciate any input/feedback.

Thanks,

Mason
Seattle

Attachments

• MFlint_20160717_4911.jpg
    MFlint_20160717_4911.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 17
  • MFlint_20160717_4910.jpg
    MFlint_20160717_4910.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back