• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

are these sparrows? (1 Viewer)

Bubo

Registered Birder
i can't figure these out, being a newbie to birding for the most part...
song sparrows? pictures taken jan 8 2004 in Southern Ca. any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• query01.jpg
    query01.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 161
  • query02.jpg
    query02.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 150
The beak doesn't fit... it looks like blackbirds or cowbirds... I don't have my books here to see which species you have in the west!

My first thought was Red-winged Blackbird. I've never seen Tricolored, but Sibley and the one photo I have of a female suggest it is altogether darker than a female Red-winged (blackish as opposed to brown).

Jason

maybe it is a red-winged blackbird (female)

thank you all for sharing your knowledge. i couldn't get anything to really fit with photos in books, but the red-winged blackbird (female) is a very close match such as these two pics.

http://www.lowcountryinstitute.org/FIELD GUIDE/birds/Red-winged Blackbird female.jpg

http://www.christinevadai.com/RWBL2.jpg

thank you for that suggestion.

I've attached another photo showing one of the birds w/ spanned out tail feathers...not sure the undercolor of the tail feathers on rw blackbird. not sure it helps. unfortunatly all the photos are from me shooting upwards into the tree, no back shots.

I'm a little concerned I suppose w/ the length of the blackbird, states they're 7.25 inches. these seemed to be smaller, but they did have long tails, so maybe they were that long. next time, and in the future, i will have to make note of the size more carefully...

these little guys are tricky! thank you all!!

Attachments

• query03.jpg
    query03.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
On the 'head and shoulders' picture, there are quite strong rufus tones on the upperparts, which I think would indicate Redwinged rather than Tricoloured.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back