• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wilde about Bird Art (1 Viewer)

Very good for 3'stupid'O'clock in the morning! And for any other time as well. I'd be scared to death to do much at that hour, though I realize that it is a noble tradition here!!

I guess the best part is to wake up the next day and find some very nice watercolors that appeared sometime during the night.

Thanks for the comments Arther/SvS, very much appreciated! Slipped another in along with the accompanying very scruffy field note done yesterday in high wind and spume spraying everywhere - light was blinding! (Still struggling with plumage and still trying to bypass it by flaffing around thus de facto splodges of white acrylic over the mud ;)). Incidentally, the Avocet and Iceland were actually wading rather than swimming so hence the slightly strange postures)

... Slipped another in along with the accompanying very scruffy field note done yesterday in high wind and spume spraying everywhere - light was blinding! (Still struggling with plumage and still trying to bypass it by flaffing around thus de facto splodges of white acrylic over the mud ;)).

hmm, not worthy of a single comment?? (I actually thought this was one of my better water colours!:-C)

Certainly worthy of comment! Icy blues and greys for an iceland gull, but it still looks warm and sunny. I like it too! The sketch it's taken from is a marvel, all those details noted shows the birder winning through.

Mike

I missed these Deborah, I esp love the gull wc of great delicacy and out of the box capture shows me what to reach for in my own work as I start to study gulls.

Well, I like the gull as well, white gull against crashing water, very good indeed, If i can just step it up a pace, Ill be up there somewhere with you all...........

Just to say I was directed to this thread by Tim. Have looked at all the artwork and am delighted by what I saw!
My faves were the Glossy and Pratincole sketches. Superb!
Nice Iceland Gull too!
You really ought to do more Deborah.
The Art Forum would be a richer place with you in it!

Hi Deborah,
Seems I've been missing a treat here! I really should open my eyes more! Wonderful work on show here. This kind of raw, caught-in-the moment field work is right up my street. Bursting with life and character, this is simply inspiring stuff. The obvious lesson for me here is the spontainety of the sketches. I often spend so much time on particular poses and species ( the result of having limited species to sketch, I feel) that I probably try too hard and lose 'focus'. One of the advantages of birding trips to foriegn lands is the array of subject matter!

More please!

Russ

Nice to see this thread resurrected Deborah, even if by others! The most recent work shown here reminds me how much I enjoyed it when you were posting more. Probably time to reexamine the entire thread, unless you start posting again and I can just see current work.

. One of the advantages of birding trips to foreign lands is the array of subject matter!

More please!

Russ

yes, I've missed out on foreign birding this year, having been tied up financially with Tetrad work in Mull and also working at the bird fair - so funds have been a bit limited. I'm planning to do an Autumn/11 trip to Iles D'Oussant but that's a way off. It's hard to get your eye back in for 'common' and local birds, so easy to pass them by in the continuous quest to 'find something different'! As such, i've done very little sketching of late that is anything more than the usual lists and arrow pointing squiggles in my birding log book when something in the field needs closer scrutiny for one reason or another.

Otherwise, a couple of mish mashed bits that might keep the thread resurrectors at bay for another 6 months ;);) (And by way of THANKS for the comments)

Attachments

• oycatch.JPG
    oycatch.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 45
  • gizz.JPG
    gizz.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 42
  • titchnovTS.jpg
    titchnovTS.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 49
  • wrtitchfieldnov10.JPG
    wrtitchfieldnov10.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 42
  • GS notes.JPG
    GS notes.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
wow! where have you been hiding all these little crackers, this won't keep us at bay for another 6 months, I want to see more already - joy, dynamism, observation, movement, charm and humour - all there in this little lot!

Sorry Deborah! About "accidentally" resurrecting your thread!

I lied!

I'm very happy!

Fantabulous, alive, spirited sketchings and works! Full of joy and movement, and reportage. I absolutley adore all of them!

We need you and your astounding, original work, here, and in the birding World as a whole. Long may you realise that people want to see more of what you do...

Keep up the Tetrads, but fuse them with the Artpads!

A lot of amazing things began in Greece. Aristotle and such. This thread also!

This is all very wonderful!!

Long may you post your work here, and out there...

PS My fave of the above ...the 'pecker studies. Evocative and studied. And enormously appealing...

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! A watercolour from the Woodpecker sketches (unfortunately the scanner freaked and the 'cream' became bright yellow for some reason, (may have been the cheap grey pastel paper I did it on!) so have had to reduce the saturation - it's a bit 'fresher' than this) ....

Attachments

• GS from fieldnotes november 10.JPG
    GS from fieldnotes november 10.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 385
This is wonderful!

For some reason it reminds me of Archibald Thorburn's work.

http://www.archibaldthorburn.org/

Hope that's a compliment!

The composition is superb, and the subject redolent of my experience.

Scanner on the Xmas wish-list Deborah. We want to see your fine art in all its glory!

Brilliant that you are posting such gems again!

ps The Oak aint half bad either!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back