• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Safer Technique to carry tripod with heavy lens (1 Viewer)

OBXGuide

Nature Photographer
I've posted an article on my website showing my idea for a much safer way to carry that heavy super-telephoto while attached to your tripod. It would even work well for large scopes. I NEVER liked hanging the tripod across my shoulder with my expensive glass and camera waving around behind me, and it was never all that comfortable either. Instead of re-writing it all here in a longwinded post, I though it better to just link to it with all the photos.
http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/TripodPad-2.htm

Here is a thumbnail to show what I'm talking about. I've never seen anyone else carrying their tripod and lens this way. Anyone else tried this method?

Attachments

• TripodPad-09_medium-TN.jpg
    TripodPad-09_medium-TN.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 339
Interesting read, I have been looking for some kind of shoulder pad for a while. Thanks for posting :t:

Very interesting idea, Fred. I use Manfrotto tripods mostly, and they all have the ability to mount just the head without a center column (it uses just a little stub), so your technique is usable by Manfrotto users whose center column is the "split" type.

Glad to know I'm not the only one whose tried this. I've just never seen anyone else at it and wondered if I'd stumbled onto something so practical and nobody else had. Thanks to all for your replies.

Tried it last weekend using my Gitzo but I found that with my shoulders geing fairly thick I had to raise the tripod and hence the lens quite high which then introduced another issue with overhanging branches etc

Ah, Steve, a weak point in my theory. I didn't take into account all those strong burly fellows with lots of muscles. Oh well, I guess I need to make a note of that. Perhaps if your tripod is the kind that you can splay out the legs wider it might do, but then the legs might become dangerous weapons for anybody in the way. ;) "Move over. Coming through!"

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back