• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EII (1 Viewer)

dries1

Just got one, only little light left, so not much gainful insight made - will check in the field tomorrow. Just one question, it seems that it is a bit brighter than my HG 8X32 from likely 2002 or 2003 at the earliest. I would assume, (hate to do so) - that the eII has improved lens coating, after all it is 2017.

Any insight would be welcome regarding silver on the coatings in the HG from 2003 and coatings on the new EII - I would assume dielectric and not silver.

Despite not being waterproof I really like them and may buy another pair - $$$$$$ in this hobby, will have to sell some of my military bins.

Regards,

Andy W.

Hi,

no light is great to check the field - the distance between the two lower stars in the big dipper (Phad and Merak) is 8 degrees, so your E2 should fit them comfortably with some room to spare.

Even with the same coatings the E2 would be brighter than a Schmidt-Pechan roof pair. The reasons are that Porro prisms work with internal reflection so no mirroring is necessary and Schmidt-Pechan prisms have 2 surfaces which are used in transmission and reflection and thus cannot be multicoated since this ruins the reflection part - the least evil is to single-coat them.

Have fun with your E2s!

Joachim

eII

Arthur,

Thank you,
I will enjoy them tomorrow, a nice crisp fall day with plenty of sunshine here in Delaware.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back