Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 7th January 2018, 10:35   #1
medinfoto

Remove lens covers on 8x30 SLC WB?

Hello all, new to this forum but long time bird lover (mostly do photography but lately gotten into enjoying just watching them as well). I have a pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC WB Mark II, which I think are lovely to use; however I am not entirely fond of the lens covers that are attached to the front since they flop around and get in the way a bit.

Looks like they can be removed by stretching the rubber ring a bit, but is it OK to leave them off? I presume the waterproofing is not relying on a rubber ring there, but am not familiar with the construction. :-) Would probably leave them off entirely or maybe put on a pair of flip-up covers (like Butler Creek).

cheers!
Old Sunday 7th January 2018, 15:29   #2
Gijs van Ginkel

medinfoto, post 1,
I consider all objective lens covers as fairly useless, some are floppy, others are too tight etc. etc. and I never use them on any of the binoculars I use and have used. The best binoculars have hydrophobic coatings and some also have very hard protective coatings that do not have any optical effect, but they protect lens surfaces quite well. So I do not see the need for objective covers. And since all the years I have used binoculars walking in desert, mountains, in snowy and ice conditions not one of them had any damage of the objective lenses.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Sunday 7th January 2018, 16:06   #3
medinfoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
medinfoto, post 1,
I consider all objective lens covers as fairly useless, some are floppy, others are too tight etc. etc. and I never use them on any of the binoculars I use and have used. The best binoculars have hydrophobic coatings and some also have very hard protective coatings that do not have any optical effect, but they protect lens surfaces quite well. So I do not see the need for objective covers. And since all the years I have used binoculars walking in desert, mountains, in snowy and ice conditions not one of them had any damage of the objective lenses.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi, and thanks for your comment. I feel the same way about photography lenses; the covers just end up being in the way and the constant taking off and putting on probably makes it more likely to accidentally damage the lens element somehow than normal day to day use.

I did go ahead and pull them off the binoculars (but saved them for if I ever sell them). I can't really imagine the rubber ring that they attach to the body with is important for the weather proofing, so let's hope I'm right. :)
Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 04:09   #4
sbb

Medinfoto,
I keep mine on as I have them on a tripod stand on my balcony. However, when I am out hiking infield, I will take them off. As you mentioned, it is too much trouble to be constantly taking them off and putting them on. I do however keep the occular rainguard on top to protect against debris and the likes.
Alex
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: