• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Woody's 2007 sketchbook (1 Viewer)

Well the 'man flu' has laid me low all weekend, so the trip to Elmley was short and unproductive in a sketching sense. I didn't really feel up to sketching in the cold wind. (Everybody say Ahh!). Watched a SEO hunting in the distant half light though, made my day really.

So again the garden sparrows got sketched from a nice warm conservatory, coffee and biscuits within easy reach at all times of course. Sparras are lovely birds to watch, they're full of character and attitude. I feel a painting coming on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE
Oh so true! ;)

Woody

Attachments

• spug in rain.jpg
    spug in rain.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 71
  • spugs3.jpg
    spugs3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 65
  • femspug.jpg
    femspug.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 68
  • spuglookup.jpg
    spuglookup.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 66
Lovely drawings (very civilised, too!) - hope you're on the mend (unless you're also getting time off work, in which case . . .)

Hi Woody, glad to here the bout of cold is over. Love these last sketches. The female stonechat is the bizz! Like that a lot. Lapwing great too, as are the sparrows, particularily that first head on male...

nothing better than a supply of coffee, biccies and sparrows. Lovely sketches that would make some lovely colourwork.

Coffee seems to be my lifeblood when working. Glad to see I'm not alone:) Great sketches. They make me feel like grabbing a cup and doing a few.

Been quiet on the sketching front here, with birthdays and christmas approaching the foreman has me shopping every available minute of the weekends so I've not had much time.

A wet, windy, and grey Elmley can be a bleak place but there's always something to warm the cockles, even if it is more bl**dy kestrels!

Woody

Attachments

• juvkeswind.jpg
    juvkeswind.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 76
  • juvkeswind2.jpg
    juvkeswind2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 81
I wouldn't say that I have preferred sketches Woody!
These are all of the highest quality!
Top class observations!

Paschalis

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm sure the kessies will get painted at some time, I've got a fair amount of reference after all!

The kes was back on sunday but at an awkward angle from the car which made sketching impossible so I left her to Andy to photograph.

More exciting for me I must confess, was a pair of peregrines perched on the ground in the early pre-rain sun. I first spotted the distinctive shape in the sky as one of the pair flew over the car, circled round and pursued a small flock of lapwing before plunging through them dramatically and immediately going out of sight. Almost by the time I'd made sure my bird wasn't another kestrel it was gone, but I knew it was in the area.

Next she was spotted perched a fair distance off but she seemed settled, great! A lucky break at last! Andy managed to maneuver the car a touch closer but still the bird was at a distance too far for photos. Whilst scanning with the bins I picked up a second bird, presumably a tiercel judging by size, just behind and beyond what I then assumed to be the female. Scope focussed and sketchpad on lap we spent the next twenty minutes or so watching and sketching as the two birds relaxed. To begin with there was low sun, lighting the pale chest and belly feathers with a wonderful orange light, but a huge mass of black cloud was fast approaching and before long it began emptying its contents on us and the peregrines. Once in a while one of the two birds would shake its head to remove the raindrops which was actually quiute comical. With a page of small thumbnail type sketches completed the pair decided it was time to move off as the rain slackened (a bit) and after one last sketch of the female on a distant gate we lost sight of both.

Always a thrill to see wild peregrines and especially to spend some time watching them closely. Altogether a great way to offset the horrors of the christmas preparations and family gatherings that were to come later in the day...

Woody

Attachments

• peregrines.jpg
    peregrines.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 89
  • peregrine.jpg
    peregrine.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 86
  • peregrine2.jpg
    peregrine2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 81
Enjoyed your account of the day - how thrilling. Unfortunately I've never been that close and what with the weather here at the moment and work I can't see me getting out much short term |=(| But there is always next year. Really great field work- looking forward to peregrine paintings ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back