• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Warbler or Chiff Chaff Help Please (1 Viewer)

jtwood

Can you help with ID from the Photos Thanks

Attachments

• Chiff Chaff  011_filtered.jpg
    Chiff Chaff 011_filtered.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 173
  • chiff chaff  012_filtered.jpg
    chiff chaff 012_filtered.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 178
Short Primary projection says Chiff Chaff. But the superc. looks rather heavy. But my guess is CC.

//Ben

Well its isn't a chiffchaff, primary projection is too long looks actually looks longer than tertial length! Also dark moss green upperparts, distinctive bright lemon supercillium with dark eyestripe, dark tertials with distinct pale edges all point towards it being a possible Wood Warbler.

But it isn't a Wood Warbler as supercillium would be more distinct above the eye and yellow of throat shouldn't extend that far down the breast and the lower parts of the ear-coverts shouldn't be so dark so I would say its a Willow doing a good impression of Wood.

Feet look fleshy the rest of the legs are in the shade so appear dark.

very green, bold supercilium, dark legs contrasting to paler feet, fresh plumage, crescent below eye-ring contrasting to dark ear coverts, indeterminate prim-proj, all pale lower mandible, remiges and retrices blackish with greenish fringing?

I can't make it add up. It's a phylloscopus. I don't know which.

Where's Hannu?

Well its isn't a chiffchaff, primary projection is too long looks actually looks longer than tertial length! Also dark moss green upperparts, distinctive bright lemon supercillium with dark eyestripe, dark tertials with distinct pale edges all point towards it being a possible Wood Warbler.

But it isn't a Wood Warbler as supercillium would be more distinct above the eye and yellow of throat shouldn't extend that far down the breast and the lower parts of the ear-coverts shouldn't be so dark so I would say its a Willow doing a good impression of Wood.

Feet look fleshy the rest of the legs are in the shade so appear dark.

Good analysis, Steven. Willow by process of elimination I'll accept.

Hi all,
For me, the relatively strong supercilium (more obvious than the white crescent below the eye, usually the other way around on Chiffchaff), the pale lower mandible without a darker tip, the apparently long primary projection in the second pic etc all point towards Willow Warbler.
Regards,
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back