• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longspur ID (1 Viewer)

Strix

Does anyone have any experience with Longspurs?

Today (in northern Wisconsin, USA) I found a flock of Snow Buntings with a darker bird in with them. I got about a 5 second look at the bird before the flock was flushed by a car and flew out of view. I didn't get adequate time to get a great look at the bird, but I did get a look at the face and the sides and the back. I've narrowed it down to either a Lapland or Smith's longspur.

My question is: Do Laplands always have a rufous patch on the greater coverts?

It seems that Lapland is much more probable in this area (and beach habitat, associating with snow buntings), but I didn't see any rufous or sizable wing bars. My field guide shows a rusty wash on all plumages of the Lapland.

Thanks

Hi Strix, I notice this is your firts posting so, on behalf of all the moderators and admin. staff, welcome to Bird Forum.
As I'm sure you know we have several expert American birders on here and one of them will be along shortly to help with your query, I'm sure.

Hello Strix, Have you thought of McCown's because they do have a rufous barring not evident in any of the Lapland or Smith's photos that I have at least.

McCown's would be out of its normal range, so I'm ruling that out just based on probability. I wouldn't feel comfortable calling something a rarity based on a rather quick glance. A quick check reveals it's not even on the state list. Smith's and Chestnut-collared are listed as accidental on the state list. But yeah, the female longspurs look a lot alike, it could have been that. Maybe I'll never know.

cuckooroller said:
Hello Strix, Have you thought of McCown's because they do have a rufous barring not evident in any of the Lapland or Smith's photos that I have at least.

Hi Strix,

Yes, Laps do always have a chestnut patch on the greater coverts

I've never seen Smith's, but going by the pics in Sibley, this should be a rather more uniform buffy-brown overall.

Interesting that whatever it was, was with SnoBs. Over here, Laps and SnoBs rarely mix - I can't recollect ever having seen one in a flock of the other, though I guess it must happen on occasion. Laps are more likely to mix with small finches (over here, mainly Linnets or Twite) and/or Sky Larks, while Snobs live up to their nickname and tend not to mix with anything, presumably it is beneath their dignity

Michael

One other thought that springs to mind - there's a lot of difference between a adult winter male Snob, and a first-winter female Snob. Could it have been one of the latter in a flock of the former, or is that possibility safely ruled out?

Michael

no, I considered that, but I'm pretty sure this was a longspur of some sort. There was a decent mix of bunting plumages in the flock, this was obviously a different bird.

Michael Frankis said:
One other thought that springs to mind - there's a lot of difference between a adult winter male Snob, and a first-winter female Snob. Could it have been one of the latter in a flock of the former, or is that possibility safely ruled out?

Michael

Well, I think I figured it out, thanks to some photos cuckooroller sent me. I think it was a Lapland, just a bit more faded than the average bird. The face pattern and back pattern look right, I guess it had a weaker than normal reddish wing. If it were a Smith's, I think I would have noticed the eyering. Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back