• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now [I]that[/I] was different! (1 Viewer)

Balego

Now THAT was different!

I had just come inside from cleaning snow off the bird table feeder, and refilling it. I have numerous mourning doves that it seems have chosen my yard to spend the winter, and each morning they are all there in my small tree at daybreak, waiting for breakfast. As I did the chore, some flew off, about five remained and watched me. After I went inside, and when walking past the window that I had only seconds before glanced away from, I noticed an odd shape catch my eye. Doing a double-take, I see a mourning dove, hanging upside down... just hanging there at the tip of a branch, by the tip of her tail! She wasnt flapping or struggling, she was hanging limp like a feathered tear-drop. I struggled back into my boots and coat, grabbed a dishcloth and a chair to stand on, and walked slowly outside. As I got close, she looked at me, flapped once to free herself, and flew to the arbour a few feet away and bobbed her head at me. She seemed non the worse for her ordeal. I have no idea how she managed to get herself caught like that. Weirdest predicament I ever saw. Thankfully she got free easily, and no hawks happened by at the time. She certainly was in a vulnerable position!

Bev

Last edited:
Oh Gosh, Tammie, I never thought of a photo! It certainly would have made for an unusual one, but my mind was focused on getting her free. Considering I keep my digiscoping setup permanently in readiness at my upstairs window to be handy when something unusual happens in the yard! Like the time a hawk landed on my shed roof (a very unusual event!), and I was so dumbstruck that he flew off in the seconds it took for me to grab the tripod handle to swing the camera toward him (camera was even already ON!). lol

Balego said:
Oh Gosh, Tammie, I never thought of a photo! It certainly would have made for an unusual one, but my mind was focused on getting her free. Considering I keep my digiscoping setup permanently in readiness at my upstairs window to be handy when something unusual happens in the yard! Like the time a hawk landed on my shed roof (a very unusual event!), and I was so dumbstruck that he flew off in the seconds it took for me to grab the tripod handle to swing the camera toward him (camera was even already ON!). lol

Oh, don't you just hate it when that happens?? Believe me, it happens to me all the time! I was searching all over this morning for my binocs to see what was under the tree out back.... looked all over the place before realizing they were right beside me the whole time! :eek!: The bird turned out to be a common redpoll that was a fair amount larger than the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back