• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning for N. California (1 Viewer)

ernietd

Craig Whitmore posted this in "Where do you Live?" I hope I'm not breaking any rules by copying it and posting it here, but I think it needs to be posted here, and I didn't see it.

Sorry if I'm being rude to Craig.

You fellows may not have have seen my post last Saturday following a North States Public Radio broadcast.
I'm a little further north in Weaverville and have had up to 100 pine siskens at a time at my feeders.
Craig

News Release: For Immediate Release
Feb. 10, 2005
DFG Asks Northern Californians to Remove Bird Feeders to Slow the
Spread of Avian Disease
Contacts:
Patrick Foy, DFG Office of Communications (916) 651-9130
Pam Swift, Wildlife Veterinarian, (916) 358-1462

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is encouraging northern California residents to remove bird feeders for at least one month to help slow an outbreak of salmonellosis, a disease affecting small brown birds known as pine siskins that live primarily in wooded areas.

Human exposure to and contraction of the disease from wild birds is rare and unlikely, especially if basic precautions are taken. However, pets can contract the disease, especially if they are exposed to fecal matter below the feeders.

Pine siskins are brown, streaked birds with yellow patches on the wings and tail. Their diet consists primarily of seeds, making bird feeders particularly attractive. Birds contract the disease from one another, most often by eating fecal-contaminated food - but also by sticking their heads inside tube feeders where their eyes come in contact with the feeder itself.

California?s West Nile virus hotline has received many tips from concerned citizens reporting dead pine siskins throughout the forested areas of northern California, from Grass Valley to Eureka. Salmonellosis is a bacterial disease and is not related to the West Nile virus.

To help control the disease, DFG biologists are urging residents to discontinue feeding birds for at least 30 days, and when feeding is resumed, to:

? Replace all food in birdfeeders and water in birdbaths daily. Clean up old food around feeders
daily, and only use small amounts of food.
? Decontaminate feeders by using a 10 percent solution of household bleach in water, preferably
cleaned just prior to adding new food.
? Spread small amounts of seed over a large area in the sun, instead of using bird boxes or feeders.
Also, vary the location of seeds to avoid encouraging a concentration of birds at one site.
? Replace wooden bird feeders with plastic or metal. Wood harbors salmonella bacteria and cannot
be sanitized as effectively.
? Use gloves when handling dead birds and bird feeders and wash hands with anti-bacterial soap
when finished.

This is the second time in less than a year that DFG has asked that birdfeeders be removed to slow the spread of a disease affecting birds. In July 2004, DFG asked that all bird feeders be removed for the purpose of slowing an outbreak of trichomoniasis in California?s mourning dove and band-tailed pigeon populations. More detailed information about that disease and tips on controlling it and other avian diseases can be found at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news04/04060.html

###

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back