• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Are they summer visitors? Where do they winter?
CB

Hi, CB & Zebs.

Purple Martins are interesting. They come up to the eastern USA from Latin America in the spring to breed and they now breed almost exclusively in "houses" provided by people. The houses, on poles 10-15 feet high, can be individual gourds or can be large houses divided up into ten or more little apartments. Oddly enough, the houses normally have to be very near buildings to attract the Martins; the latter either just like people or maybe think the presence of people nearby keeps predators away.

Jeff

Stormy weather today, which has brought a few more Lesser Redpolls and Siskins back, along with the male Blackcap. Male Sprawk also popped in for breakfast (but failed) and perched again above the nijer feeders, until being chased away by a Magpie.

EDIT: Just seen the Sprawk again, standing proudly over the remains of a Blue Tit. Hope it wasn't the one that has been roosting in the nest box.

Last edited:
the goldcrest is back,very nimble bird,and a quick pic of a greenfinch

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 57
Had about 200+ Starlings on some trees at the back of my site last night, It was like a scene from that Hitchcock film "The Birds" Is'nt the Sparrowhawk majestic, Deadly but Beautiful..I love em!!

Last edited:
A brief spell of excitement in our yards yesterday when a flock of Common Grackles swooped in. Luckily they didn't stay long. Our resident birds looked quite shell-shocked.

Won't have much time for yard watching the next few days. On Saturday we're heading up to San Antonio and the hill country for two days of birding. Then in the middle of next week we may spend a day or two around Galveston and some coastal sites.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Hope you have agreat time

I suppose you don't need telling, but have a great time and think of us in the uK freezing:t:

Not exactly at the feeder but in my yard today. He's about 30 meters west and 15 meters up from the feeder.

Ever get a photo of a hawk from directly underneath? First for me.

Attachments

• DSCN6853b.jpg
    DSCN6853b.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN6850b.jpg
    DSCN6850b.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 45
In that first pic, the Goldcrest is in a standing position whilst in midair - great capture!

Nice female, EB:t:

thanks BF . After my picture she flew into the feeding station and hovered between two bushes bashing the bushes with her wings trying to flush some small birds out then after a short rest on the fence flew off . Interesting watch her hunting technique but I was worried for my little birds :-C

thanks BF . After my picture she flew into the feeding station and hovered between two bushes bashing the bushes with her wings trying to flush some small birds out then after a short rest on the fence flew off . Interesting watch her hunting technique but I was worried for my little birds :-C

Looks a lot like the visitor I get at the feeder even though across the ocean. Cooper Hawk?

I agree! I think spring is on it's way!

Speak for yourselves, but unfortunately winter is on it's merry way here. Which means less flowering plants for my birds, less of a need for my bird bath and no more scared kingfishers and rainbow bee-eaters :( The bee-eaters especially because they fly over our house everyday in varying flock sizes. The other day it was between 25-30, the largest that I've seen fly over so far.

Today there's been noisy miners, magpie-larks, new holland honeyeaters, blackbirds, a willy wagtail, several flyovers including the bee-eaters and a little pied cormorant and several others. But most importantly, there was a male fairy wren in the garden today, he was there for a little while, made me happy. :)

14 greenfinches around the feeders,nice to see some are beginning to get there plumage back,blue tits are inspecting the nest box,goldfinches galore,chaffinches and it is a nice sunny day here.;)

14 greenfinches around the feeders,nice to see some are beginning to get there plumage back,blue tits are inspecting the nest box,goldfinches galore,chaffinches and it is a nice sunny day here.;)

same here. I noticed a bluetit checking out next doors nest box but its too exposed on the end of a shed. I'm hoping ours set in the Hazel trees will do better. I'd better get my skates on if I have any chance of fitting a camera.

Still haven't seen a Greenfinch here for a few years. Can't imagine what 14 look like.? bit of a bunfight I expect;)

Nice sunny day down in the South West too. Thank god we haven't got an earthquake and a tsunami to worry about this morning :eek!:

Hey Crazyfingers what type of Hawk is it? Sorry didn't read properly Cooper Hawk, I'm only a novice with Non British birds, i'm still learning, that's what i like about this site seeing all the different birds from around the world although they do have some funny names

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back