• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Any idea if cut oranges would attract any visitors ?[/QUOTE]

i put 2 out 3 weeks ago,no takers i'm afraid!
plenty of blue and great tits about,goldfinches,chaffinches and greenfinches in quite large numbers along with sparrows and blackbirds.nothing new, but wait in hope :t:

Sparrows and goldfinches, blackbirds and dunnocks... no tits at all! Also caught a very brief glimpse of a single redpoll that perched on top of my feeder pole, then flew down to peck at the shredded cardoon heads (I always shred last summer's seedheads at this time of year... the sparrows love the down and seeds). First sight of a redpoll since deepest darkest winter! I wonder if they've been coming but I've just missed them.

Any idea if cut oranges would attract any visitors ?

i put 2 out 3 weeks ago,no takers i'm afraid!
plenty of blue and great tits about,goldfinches,chaffinches and greenfinches in quite large numbers along with sparrows and blackbirds.nothing new, but wait in hope :t:[/QUOTE]

Have put one out, will see if there are any takers for Sunday breakfast :t:

Robins mating!

We have a fine-twigged shrub, an abelia, outside our front window. We put a window feeder near it and discovered that the sparrows can't land on it, the shrub is too close, so it's exclusive to robins and blue tits. My partner breeds mealworms to feed the birds so we have regular visits from the birds. One robin has been carrying off beakfuls of mealworms and we've seen courtship feeding. On Saturday I saw a pair mating in the shrub! Never seen robins mating before - or any birds besides pigeons. It lasted about 6 seconds and then was repeated for about 5 seconds. She stayed in the shrub after and shook her wings. He flew off and then arrived at the feeder for a quick snack.
I've read David Lack's book, Life of the Robin - it gives fascinating details.

Pied Flycatcher returns

Heard a familiar call in the garden this morning
Male Pied Flycatcher in the tree he spent most of his time last year
Lets hope a female turns up...

Mmmm..... wheres everybody gone ?

had a sneaky visitor today. I love watching him peek-a-boo round the tree and jump sideways from branch to branch. They have a very strange way of getting around.
First time I have seen him drinking at the bird bath today. Apologies for poor image q but its through glass at 30feet

Attachments

• GSW drinking 800.JPG
    GSW drinking 800.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 49
Heard a familiar call in the garden this morning
Male Pied Flycatcher in the tree he spent most of his time last year
Lets hope a female turns up...

nice one! only ever seen one and I only recognised that one initially by his behaviour, searching the stonework for insects and spiders.:t:
Hope you get a picture . It'd definitely be a first on this thread.

Its gone a little quiet, and not seen too much of the garden today

Spring/summer are the best seasons in my gardens/land. It's been super for the last week - White Storks back to their nest at the garden's end, Cranes in the fields, displaying Green Sandpiper over the feeders, Marsh and Hen Harrier quartering, a Serin amongst the passerines and plenty more. Also Common Frogs sitting on the ice, first butterflies.

Actual feeders also bustling, a case of a storm before the lull (!) - returning migrants boosting the wintering birds, so choc'a'bloc now, still the old favorites lingering on, Crested Tits et al.

Correction, we have a pair of siskins, sitting on the nyger feeder in my little tree, they have just chased some goldfinches.:t:

Correction, we have a pair of siskins, sitting on the nyger feeder in my little tree, they have just chased some goldfinches.:t:

your garden is blessed bee !:t:

We will never forget the day when we saw our first Siskins, Stunning colour and quite the bullies. Ours alternate between the hearts and niger so there is usually enough feeding stations for them and the 4x goldfinch so they don't squabble too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back