• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my daughter brought home a blue jay (1 Viewer)

jenne

My daughter has found a baby blue jay on her summer vacation to her grandma's house and has been raising it for 3 weeks and i just wanna know about how long it should be before he flies away off into the sunset. One of his little toes are broken but it doesn't appear to bother him and other than that he is pefectly healthy and nobody here wants him so far. It would be really nice if he just began to fly in a few weeks. she is really good to him and feeds him about 3$ worth of mealworms a day. He is sleeping peacefully right now. He likes to be wrapped up tight if not, he chirps alot.

Blue Jay

Hello, how fun, I raised a baby as well, I built it a atrium in our rockery, it slept in between the rocks , I left the top open so when it was ready it could fly out, I put branches for it to climb on, It did get excepted by 2 other jays . I know we are supposed to let nature take its course, but in my case it turned out great, how big is it now... Good Luck, Joan

jenne said:
He is sleeping peacefully right now. He likes to be wrapped up tight if not, he chirps alot.

He likes to be wrapped up? I wouldn't have thought a bird would like that. Maybe it feels like the warmth of its parent? Hmm, interesting.

Pileated_MO said:
He likes to be wrapped up? I wouldn't have thought a bird would like that. Maybe it feels like the warmth of its parent? Hmm, interesting.
I have 3 of them living in my screen porch. They were raised this year from orphans . They have eaten a variety of foods(berries ,grapes, bugs and meat) and strongly prefer meat. Yesterday the older 2 ignored the open door to the outdoors for around one hour. Tomorrow I move the food bowl outside.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back