• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One or two eyes seawatching? A cheap solution (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I´ve fretted for years over this issue, and threatened to splash out on a pair of Canon IS 18x50...which I may do someday, but I don´t really do enough seawatching to warrant the outlay. This year I bought, on a well-known auction site rhyming with D.J., a pair of ultra-cheap monster bins called "Nipon 20x80" (Clever, huh? So you just might confuse them with "Nikons";)). They have a rod between the barrels with a tripod mount so I set them on my monopod while seawatching one day (with BF member and uber-gentleman Bitterntwisted). I could alternate between my scope and the monster bins, and scan with the bins when the one-eye-scoping business began to hurt my brain (I can manage an hour of this at a time, but not more). The big Nipons are great on a monopod, very bright and wide, sharp enough for the job, and when you pick something up you can then switch to the Scope. Much easier to scan the seas with the binos. Also, on those occasions when I couldn´t locate with the scope what had been called, and there was a chance it might pass by before I got it, I could leap out of the foxhole and dash across No-Man´s-Land with the big binos, braving North-Westerly squalls, to run along the cliff-tops and try and pick up the bird before it disappeared...impossible with mounted scope. The binos cost only eighty You-Ropes, which is about seventy Stair-Links, I think. So no big deal if they fall off a cliff. An added advantage is that in the quieter seawatching moments, you can amuse yourself by catching Kittiwakes or Gannets off-centre, against the sea, and making pretty psychedelic CA-patterns around them. Lovely Halloween Oranges and Flaring Yellows.

I live in the middle of New Mexico, what do I know? But when I get to the ocean, or even a large lake, it is so cool that the thermal properties of the water gives nearly perfect "seeing", or zero mirage. If I get right at the edge of the water, the views across are just incredible. Enjoy the cheapies Sancho. They are made by what would become Nikon, just from before they changed the name to something less threatening to us westerners.
Ron

I had some 16x50 porros once. Big disappointment even on a tripod. You had better luck.

Don´t get me wrong, Tero...these things don´t replace a scope, they´re just an added "accoutrement"....;). I´d imagine a whole day looking through these things could seriously damage your sanity.

They are made by what would become Nikon, just from before they changed the name to something less threatening to us westerners.
Ron
Really? I looked them up and found they have a website all of their own, under the name "Nipon", selling all kinds of low-end optical gear. I wonder if they are an offshoot of Nikon´s progenitors, or if they´re some kind of knock-offs.

Sancho,
I apologize for my spaciness. I was thinking the brand was something other than what you clearly said. No relation to Nikon after all, probably explaining the bargain price.
Ron

They are made by what would become Nikon, just from before they changed the name to something less threatening to us westerners.
Ron

Wasn't nikon nippon with a double p?

Sancho have fun with them who ever made them!!

Sancho,
I apologize for my spaciness. I was thinking the brand was something other than what you clearly said. No relation to Nikon after all, probably explaining the bargain price.
Ron

Wasn't nikon nippon with a double p?

Sancho have fun with them who ever made them!!

Thanks folks! So they´re even more dastardly....using a name that´s a bit like the famous optics company whose name is a bit like its own progenitors.....that must be why I bought them....;)

What intrigues me is how you guys actually live in CA. Apart from the permanent tripiness, how do you ever get to see anything?;)

You should have been here in the 60s and 70s! Try it under black light!

Some say it's our CA that makes us strong. I say it's our abundance of CA that makes it impossible to govern. oops, I think I segued...;)

Kevin, in CA

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back