• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corn Bunting Vs Reed Bunting (1 Viewer)

ody

I shot this pic yesterday at Axios river. I can't say what it is.
What do you think?

Attachments

• bunting.jpg
    bunting.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Yes, Jane is right; with these features it may even be a first winter female White-headed Bunting.

I do not find this White-headed Bunting in Collins!
Does that appear in Greece? I can not find also in the greek list!

Last edited:
I think Gerd means Emberiza leucocephalus, (Pine Bunting) which can be hard to tell from the bird that this most likely is. Did you see it from behind? You should have seen some features that would help you identify

yes, I am sorry, freely translated from Dutch in English. But the right name is Pine.
I am not so sure about pure Yellowhammer Jane, since the crown stripe is all white. Rest of the parts have some very faint yellow hue.

I think Gerd means Emberiza leucocephalus, (Pine Bunting) which can be hard to tell from the bird that this most likely is. Did you see it from behind? You should have seen some features that would help you identify

I am afraid this is the only pic I have. Frontside!
Here more pics.Maybe from the head we can see something more.

Attachments

• bunt (1).jpg
    bunt (1).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 360
  • bunt (2).jpg
    bunt (2).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 324
  • bunt.jpg
    bunt.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
gerdwichers8; said:
yes, I am sorry, freely translated from Dutch in English. But the right name is Pine.
I am not so sure about pure Yellowhammer Jane, since the crown stripe is all white. Rest of the parts have some very faint yellow hue.

The scientific name translated from Greek into English is also White-headed bunting!

Without a clear view of the upperparts and or the underwing coverts its going to be hard to rule out Pine or (Pine influences), but I imagine that there is a much more common explanation.

In my opinion the bill isn't good for a Corn. No yellow at all, so I don't think is a Yellowhammer. Usually Reed is more redish. So, maybe Pine?

These new pix even look better for Pine. The first pic shows some buff (Brown yellow) to the pre-ocular area (supercilium and lore); that's about it.

Last edited:
To my eyes it is a Cirl Bunting. It has distinct streaking all over it's face and head, compare to Reed Buntings, which have mostly unstreaked heads and faces (supercilia, ear coverts etc.). A Yellowhammer would have much bolder streaking on the underside. A Pine Bunting would also have less distinct streaking on the head, and the general colour would be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back