• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

River Aire currently filling Fairburn Ings via Roman Road (closed) and Hicksons after going over near Allerton Bywater (now full). Aire also over near Woodlesford.

Bumped into Lawts at Redhouses, only a few Redpoll seen, all flyovers. Ouse very wide there.

Had a ride out of county this morn to Clumber Park , had 2 Hawfinch (nice lifer for me:t:) at the top of a big tree about 150 yards from the Chapel just after 10am , a Mistle Thrush flew into the tree and scared them off, and they flew of in the direction of the car park, didnt see any LS Woodies tho, will def go again sometime

Beacon Ponds

Had a cracking day at beacon Ponds today-some common wildfowl, plenty of brent geese and a few common waders. Star bird was this cracking slavonian grebe.Nothing at all on beacon Lane on the way back though.
For anyone interested there is a full account on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-11.JPG
    untitled-11.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 47
  • untitled-17.JPG
    untitled-17.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 63
  • untitled-19.JPG
    untitled-19.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 38
Had a cracking day at beacon Ponds today-some common wildfowl, plenty of brent geese and a few common waders. Star bird was this cracking slavonian grebe.Nothing at all on beacon Lane on the way back though.

fantastic stuff martin and the blog is very helpful.

very interested in the digiscoping angle, have just taken the plunge myself.

somepics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Three decent pics ( considering light) of Coal Tits

thanks for the comments still getting my head round the B****y camera,the odd thing was that when i threw the bread down for the robin i have never seen so many tits fly to the ground to clean up the bread.

We managed to catch up with local Waxwings yesterday following a pre breakfast phonecall from a friend who lives near our local Morrison's here in Ripon.At least 52 birds showing well in her garden and surrounding area,well worth missing breakfast and a first decent sighting of them for the wife.

River Aire currently filling Fairburn Ings via Roman Road (closed) and Hicksons after going over near Allerton Bywater (now full). Aire also over near Woodlesford.

Bumped into Lawts at Redhouses, only a few Redpoll seen, all flyovers. Ouse very wide there.

Yes sorry Jim - the sun had come out for you then I turned up:-O

After I left you even the Marsh Tits failed to show. I checked the path a couple of times for the redpolls and gave up as the light closed in.

Got back to the lay-by and..............................you gotta laugh!

Attachments

• Redpolls.jpg
    Redpolls.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 126
Yes sorry Jim - the sun had come out for you then I turned up:-O

After I left you even the Marsh Tits failed to show. I checked the path a couple of times for the redpolls and gave up as the light closed in.

Got back to the lay-by and..............................you gotta laugh!

They look like the ones that Doc has "tamed"..............:-O

Great images Martin!

Which camera did you use ?

Dave.

Had a ride out of county this morn to Clumber Park , had 2 Hawfinch (nice lifer for me:t:) at the top of a big tree about 150 yards from the Chapel just after 10am , a Mistle Thrush flew into the tree and scared them off, and they flew of in the direction of the car park, didnt see any LS Woodies tho, will def go again sometime

I would try Rufford CP a few miles down the road for LSW as I had 3 flying around the tree tops between the entrance gates and the main car par just over a week ago. Not sure of any recent sightings tho, check the Notts Birding thread..

Light was terrible, as appears the norm these days, so my pics are equally very poor.

Also had 9+ Hawfinch and Mandarin...

Attachments

• IMG_5055haw_filtered.jpg
    IMG_5055haw_filtered.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5070hawsJPG_filteredsmall.jpg
    IMG_5070hawsJPG_filteredsmall.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5173peckers_filtered.jpg
    IMG_5173peckers_filtered.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5181pecker_filtered.jpg
    IMG_5181pecker_filtered.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5116mandarin_filteredsmall.jpg
    IMG_5116mandarin_filteredsmall.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 70
I would try Rufford CP a few miles down the road for LSW as I had 3 flying around the tree tops between the entrance gates and the main car par just over a week ago. Not sure of any recent sightings tho, check the Notts Birding thread..

Light was terrible, as appears the norm these days, so my pics are equally very poor.

Excellent sightings!

awesome... can`t wait to get to clumber tomorrow... looks like there may be some sun =)... maybe I spoke too soon... exciting news about that Redpoll though Jonathan =)

Last edited:
Was driving past Sands Lane tonight so thought I'd stop by and see if the Snow Goose was still there. No luck but the lay by is half full of tree after a large rotten branch of Ash broke off the tree across the road. Could've been nasty.

|:x|Just a punt but has anyone out there had any decent Crossbill sightings in the county recently? Preferably flocks that are hanging around, and even more preferable, ones that may be photographable (coming down to drink in puddles, etc?) I appreciate this might be asking for a lot but you never know someone out there...!?

Sure I heard some whilst at the GGS at Wykeham but had nowt at Allerthorpe recently which is a place I could rely on last year or two, albeit just flyover 'chipping' flocks!

Swilly Redpolls

I managed a few ground shots of Redpoll today for a change and was surprised by the limited flank streaking of this bird (or birds.) The other Mealies are more heavily streaked on the flanks.
I've posted a few more shots on an ID thread already running on the topic.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191663

Dave.

Attachments

• redpoll1.jpg
    redpoll1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 78
  • redpoll4.jpg
    redpoll4.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 84
|:x|Just a punt but has anyone out there had any decent Crossbill sightings in the county recently? Preferably flocks that are hanging around, and even more preferable, ones that may be photographable (coming down to drink in puddles, etc?) I appreciate this might be asking for a lot but you never know someone out there...!?

Sure I heard some whilst at the GGS at Wykeham but had nowt at Allerthorpe recently which is a place I could rely on last year or two, albeit just flyover 'chipping' flocks!

I went up to Wykeham on sat afternoon, to the Shrike clearing, no sign of the Shrike, but had a few fly over Crossbills, and a flock of 6 where in the birch trees on the side of the road,

I managed a few ground shots of Redpoll today for a change and was surprised by the limited flank streaking of this bird (or birds.) The other Mealies are more heavily streaked on the flanks.
I've posted a few more shots on an ID thread already running on the topic.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191663

Dave.
For me, none of the birds are pale enough for arctic - all have too much buff tones. The ear coverts are too distinct, polls and bills too extensive. The one that's more difficult to call on these features is the pale buff one in your 2nd photo, which I think is a 1st winter bird and toned closer to hornemanni than exilipes, but I think a 1st winter hornemanni would have an obvious pale white mantle, with almost no streaking below the nape. All Mealy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back