• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elements 6 help please (1 Viewer)

Mahsleb

Hi I've recently changed OS to Vista and
installed Photoshop Elements 6 after using
Photoshop for many years

My problem is, after editing a photo and
using Save As (Jpeg) I cannot open the saved files
by double clicking or by using Right click/Open
Though I can open them using Right Click/Open as
and selecting Jpeg as the file format and they will
also open using Open Recently Edited Item

I have selected all files in the File Association Manager
so I should be able to open any file by Double clicking (I think?)

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I'd be grateful for any help or tips

What happens if you double-click on the file? If Windows doesn't recognise the filetype it should open a dialog box for you to find which program you want to use.

The only issue I could think of is that this may require Administrator privelges and these are turned off by default in Vista. You may need to turn off User Account Control temporarily.

I also wonder why you swapped from full Photoshop to Elements?

What happens if you double-click on the file? If Windows doesn't recognise the filetype it should open a dialog box for you to find which program you want to use.

The only issue I could think of is that this may require Administrator privelges and these are turned off by default in Vista. You may need to turn off User Account Control temporarily.

I also wonder why you swapped from full Photoshop to Elements?

Hi Mono, thanks for the reply

If I double click or click file/open and select an Image that
I've edited,I get the error message
cannot open "C:\Location\File name"
because it is the wrong type of file

When I look at the folder that the file is in
it says it's a Type 1 file even though it was saved as a Jpeg
Also it doesn't show a thumbnail, just a document type thumb
with the Elements logo on

Cheers

Ps I've just tried turning off user account
it makes no difference

Last edited:
It sounds like the files have the wrong file extension. If you turn on file extensions. In any My Computer window go Tools > Folder Options > View and the turn off "Hide Extensions for Known File Types". You should be able to see the extension. My guess is that it is a .1

Now the bigger question is why Elements is giving your jpegs that extension

It sounds like the files have the wrong file extension. If you turn on file extensions. In any My Computer window go Tools > Folder Options > View and the turn off "Hide Extensions for Known File Types". You should be able to see the extension. My guess is that it is a .1

Now the bigger question is why Elements is giving your jpegs that extension

Hi Mono your post triggered a light bulb!
In P'shop I used .1 as a numbering system
for saving edited photos ie IMG_1234.1
but Elements sees it as a file ext.
I'll have use a different method!
Problem sorted :t:

Many thanks

I was just wondering- did you have "hide extensions for known file types" checked in Control Panel/Folder Options/View? I have no idea why showing no file extensions is the default view in XP, and maybe its the same in Vista. In any case, you would have noticed immediately that .jpg wasn't showing up after the file name if you had it unchecked and looked at the folder the files were in. regards~Bill sorry somebody already said this- woops!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back