• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

I also caught a fleeting glimpse of the Ortolan as it fed on the thistle tops in the field near the lighthouse along with many Whinchat and Linnets. Luckily someone had it in the scope and i got it before it was flushed and flew into deeper cover in the field. Also saw a Merlin dash round the headland heading south.

Mark

Had a quick half hour at Paull tonight.
6 avocet,single bar tailed godwit,curlew sandpiper among a mixed flock of knot,dunlin & redshank.All flushed by the incoming tide.Also quite a few geese (greylag) on the move.
All on the first lagoon.

Flamborough

3 yellow wagtails and 8 pied wagtails on the grass area up at the lighthouse 4.45 this aftenoon , scores of house martins and swallows up there too

Just a quick question - we're planning a trip to Adel Dam tomorrow morning but just read a on a guide that the reserve is usually locked. Is this an old guide or is it only open at certain times? Also is it easiest to access from the Golden Acre side or the Arthington Rd side? Thanks

Pretty much equidistant, but possibly a little closer, muddier, and more productive from the Arthington Road side. Reserve is, as others have said, never locked. It's not a big site, and you may appreciate a wander around Golden Acre, Breary Marsh, or the public footpaths nearby if you're planning more than a couple of hours. It is a very nice little reserve, though, where you have a good chance of Great Spotted Woodpecker, Mandarin, Willow Tit, Treecreeper, Kingfisher etc.. I have seen Water Rail and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there.

Graham

Last edited:
Sammys Point/Beacon Lane

I had a trip with my daughter down to Sammy's Point and beacon Lane today.
We managed a total of 43 species including greenshank,garden warbler and redstart.
One amusing scene was a herring gull trying to tackle a very large crab as the tide ebbed.The crab came off best as the gull flew away.
A good number of insects down Beacon lane including this brimstone.
I know they are not rare in Yorkshire but its the first one I've seen down there.

Attachments

• Brim1.jpg
    Brim1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 56
I had a trip with my daughter down to Sammy's Point and beacon Lane today.
We managed a total of 43 species including greenshank,garden warbler and redstart.
One amusing scene was a herring gull trying to tackle a very large crab as the tide ebbed.The crab came off best as the gull flew away.
A good number of insects down Beacon lane including this brimstone.
I know they are not rare in Yorkshire but its the first one I've seen down there.

Hi Martind- i saw an HG doing the same with a massive crab off the Narrows!
Didn't you notice the mass migration of swallows today - 22,000?
Andy

Hi Martind- i saw an HG doing the same with a massive crab off the Narrows!
Didn't you notice the mass migration of swallows today - 22,000?
Andy

Hi Andy

We did notice the swallows constantly heading south although it didn't register that it was a movement as massive as that! Some spectacular numbers of birds at Spurn just lately- lets hope it continues with good numbers of rares this weekend with the forecasted easterlies.

Hi Pete,

Were there any more details regarding the Spotted/Unspotted Crake? I might take a trip out there on Friday.

Several reports throughout the day, no specific details of while channel or whatever - whether or not it's gone and come back, or just everyone who wanted to see it saw it and it hasn't been reported for a while, I don't know.

2 Helmeted Guineafowl ran across the road outside Kilham today - second sighting this year, the other being at Danes Dyke. Wonder if someones stocking them for shooting? Surely thats illegal?

some gamekeepers use guinea fowl as guard birds amongst there pheasants / partridges to warn the game birds of any predators around . like geese , guinea fowl kick up a hell of a racket if anything or one is prowling around :t:

Flamborough after-action report
(Seawatching from the lighthouse, from c.1340 to 1620)

4 bonxies (inc. 2 1cys)
2 Red-throated Diver (including one which was on the water right in front of the lighthouse for at least 20 mins, giving excellent views)
10 Sandwich terns (most going North, weirdly)
28 Common Scoter (heading North)
Also-rans included Shag, loads of Fulmar, Gannet, etc.

Fairly disappointing considering the NE winds, albeit light. In particular, there were no shearwaters except fulmar-something I think the very good visibility may have had something to do with. I might have to wait to get my Cory's!!!

Had a ride out to Swiington Ings after work yesterday, marsh harrier, little egret and greenshank the standout birds. However not a sign of any hirundines.

Flamborough after-action report
(Seawatching from the lighthouse, from c.1340 to 1620)

4 bonxies (inc. 2 1cys)
2 Red-throated Diver (including one which was on the water right in front of the lighthouse for at least 20 mins, giving excellent views)
10 Sandwich terns (most going North, weirdly)
28 Common Scoter (heading North)
Also-rans included Shag, loads of Fulmar, Gannet, etc.

Fairly disappointing considering the NE winds, albeit light. In particular, there were no shearwaters except fulmar-something I think the very good visibility may have had something to do with. I might have to wait to get my Cory's!!!

Hi CB. I think you may want to try a different time. Most of the good stuff moves early. Event the Boat trip which leaves at 9:30 can miss some of the good stuff as moves in the first few hours of light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back