• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (21 Viewers)

A trip to Clumber yielded dividends for once!

Quality. Sometimes it pays to leave God's Own!

Not done much birding myself, but had a drive to Dalby Forest in the snow yesterday. Highlights were Grey Heron, Bullfinch, Marsh Tit, Nuthatch and Buzzard. Saw a Tree Sparrow at Dalby for first time.

Brown Hare was an expected mammal tick on drive home.

Did the Calder Wetlands and Pugney's myself today too ..

Probably saw you Secret Twitcher ??

Managed Drake Smew and Redhead Mergansers, Ring Necked Duck, Fudge Duck and a Glaucous Gull on Pugneys too but missed the Iceland Gull...

With the rest of the stuff I collected it takes my yearlist to a nice round 60 !!

I have peaked too early ... I just know Ive peaked too early ...... Its all downhill from here ......

Cracking Day in East Yorkshire

I had a great day out and about in East Yorks today a total of 89 species including velvet scoter, long tailed duck, great northern diver, red throated diver and purple sandpiper at Filey, corn bunting, snow bunting, lapland bunting, twite and woodcock at Flamborough, smew, willow tit and siskin at Tophill Low and black tailed godwit at Paull.
For anyone interested there's more info on the blog.
Didn't take many photos but was pleased with this one.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 68
report from a local wildlife group, 2 big stubble fields on the cliff top at buckton held 200 corn bunting, 20 lapland bunting, 30 snow bunting, 700+ skylark, 40 linnet 25 reed bunting 65 fieldfare, 5 song thrush 15 yellow hammer, 2 displaying peregrines

Fairburn Ings

Visited this afternoon and saw a Water Rail - a lifer for me - thought I saw one at Adel Dam last year but couldn't be sure.

We didn't go to the Lin Dyke end and as Keith has said not much in the way of waterfowl. Plenty of birds on the feeders though. I did see a Kingfisher through the spotting fence (do they have a proper name - the fences with the holes in?) and just past this on a gated off path a deer - closest i've ever been to one and I believe a Roe Deer. Not a bird I know but pretty exciting! We did see a Peregrine over that end too.

Not the most exciting of birds but pretty good for me :t:

Don't worry about the birds being mega rarities or anything Pam the report is the main thing. It's a pretty good bet on your deer being a Roe, I have seen them often down at Fairburn when I used to visit early doors on the way to work.
Shame you didn't get up to Lin Dyke for the LEO.

Fairburn Ings

Visited this afternoon and saw a Water Rail - a lifer for me - thought I saw one at Adel Dam last year but couldn't be sure.

We didn't go to the Lin Dyke end and as Keith has said not much in the way of waterfowl. Plenty of birds on the feeders though. I did see a Kingfisher through the spotting fence (do they have a proper name - the fences with the holes in?) and just past this on a gated off path a deer - closest i've ever been to one and I believe a Roe Deer. Not a bird I know but pretty exciting! We did see a Peregrine over that end too.

Not the most exciting of birds but pretty good for me :t:

Thanks Keith, I don't get out much with having the youngster and not driving so every trip is a bonus! I've looked up the deer and am convinced it was a Roe.

Determined to see the owls this year though, missed them last year.

Pam,
I used to do Fairburn by public transport in the 80's before I got my first car. I'd set off at about 8.00am and not get to Fairburn until 10.00am, so with at least a 15 minute walk from the bus stop to Lin Dyke it was a big chunk out of the day, although it kept me fit walking from Lin Dyke to the Cut and back again.
If you ever want to come out on one of the Tyke BF meets just post in the thread and we can always find space in a car I'm sure.

Try the area around Broomhead Res near Sheffield for crossbills. They take a bit of finding, but if you wander around the area I've marked on the Google Map below you should come across them eventually - listen out for them chupping. I got stunning views of 30+ at the weekend, opposite the houses on Lee Lane.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=U...d=108592966571871668457.00047ac7280362f080a34

SEO I'm not too sure about this year - last year they were ten a penny around Leash Fen/Beeley Moor area, but there's been very few reports this autumn and winter. If you find anywhere let me know as they're one I wouldn't mind getting before the year end!

Just a thanks, was eavesdropping for a decent crossbill site, they've been my last truly embarrassing bogey, despite doing the local sites to me.
Anyway, found loads of them in that area around Broomhead (#227 on the life list), mostly in a clearing just below Wigtwizzle, difficult to say how many because they were commonly mixed in with goldfinch and siskin, I'd agree with the 30 figure though.
Some entertaining tits flocks around with the usual assortments, heard a raven and briefly stalked a tawny owl that flew through the woods around midday. Took pity on a robin in the parking place at the bottom of the main track and it let me hand feed it a bit of my cheese sandwich.

Nice place, really quiet, enjoyed the visit.

Just a thanks, was eavesdropping for a decent crossbill site, they've been my last truly embarrassing bogey, despite doing the local sites to me.
Anyway, found loads of them in that area around Broomhead (#227 on the life list), mostly in a clearing just below Wigtwizzle, difficult to say how many because they were commonly mixed in with goldfinch and siskin, I'd agree with the 30 figure though.
Some entertaining tits flocks around with the usual assortments, heard a raven and briefly stalked a tawny owl that flew through the woods around midday. Took pity on a robin in the parking place at the bottom of the main track and it let me hand feed it a bit of my cheese sandwich.

Nice place, really quiet, enjoyed the visit.

Fantastic, glad to be of service! :t: I'll have to have a look up there again soon to get them down for the '10 list.

Trickling on locally this morning - 6 more added to the yearlist in the shape of Canada goose, lesser redpoll (not an easy one near me...), dipper, nuthatch, mistle thrush and song thrush. Still no heron, pied wag or greenfinch, though!

I'm joining the Calder Wetlands duck bandwagon tomorrow - if anyone can PM me some details where to park for both Calder Wetlands and Millfield Lagoons it would be much appreciated. Also someone mentioned Jack Snipe in that area as well as the rare duck frenzy... any gen on these?

directions to millfield and parking

This map shows parking the black dots ,the lime green line is directions to millfield lagoon from pugneys roundabout.Park between the offices and the swan and cygnet in the layby ,room for three cars otherwise park in the pub car park near the entrance.There is a footpath from millfield lagoon through to the other lake under the motorway ,At the lagoon park to the left as you go under the railway bridge rather then through the gates as anglers can lock the gate so youd be stuck if you havent got a key its mostly open but you could get caught out.Hope this helps Phill.

Attachments

• millfield copy.jpg
    millfield copy.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 71
This map shows parking the black dots ,the lime green line is directions to millfield lagoon from pugneys roundabout.Park between the offices and the swan and cygnet in the layby ,room for three cars otherwise park in the pub car park near the entrance.There is a footpath from millfield lagoon through to the other lake under the motorway ,At the lagoon park to the left as you go under the railway bridge rather then through the gates as anglers can lock the gate so youd be stuck if you havent got a key its mostly open but you could get caught out.Hope this helps Phill.

That's brilliant, Phill, many thanks. :t: B :)

Just in from a walk round Roundhay Park, not much small stuff about but the nuthatches were very vocal, if not very visible. Good numbers of common gulls on both lakes, along with the black-headed gulls, none of the larger gulls though. Not much ice free water on either lake, so low numbers of mallard and coot. No diving ducks at all and no grebes seen.

Just in from a walk round Roundhay Park

Evidently the nerves got to you and you couldn't bear to watch the Mighty Whites thrashing that lot from over there. 3:)

Early afternoon.

Millfield Lagoon;frozen over completely, no birds
Calder wetlands; The east lake has a small area near Swan and Cygnet lots of birds on there incl Ferruginous Duck. West Lake has a small unfrozen area in the middle, again plenty of birds incl Ring Necked.
Pugney's; didn't bother.

I think both lakes at Calder Wetlands will be frozen over tomorrow so I don't know where the birds will be displaced to, probably Pugneys main lake so take a scope.

Smew was apparently on the river.

Last edited:
went up to the reserve at bempton after work this afternoon, big fall of song thrush 50/60 + on the cliff top and paths, 3 mistle thrush, 1 woodcock, 1 peregrine flushed the big mixed flock of skylark / lapland/snow/corn buntings in the cliff top stubble field at buckton , flock of 30 linnet in the brassica cover crop next to the footpath down to buckton

Evidently the nerves got to you and you couldn't bear to watch the Mighty Whites thrashing that lot from over there. 3:)

No nerves Jim, it wasn't till we got back that I knew about the game...when my eldest chucked me out the living room whilst he was watching said match. He's an avid white's fan, and didn't want any comments from me.
I was more pleased with another flyover red kite this afternoon, I'll get the sods to land in my garden one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back