• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

If you only have a couple of hours would suggest Spurn, lots to look at, anything can turn up and you only have to ask someone with bins and you will be told of all birds in the area.
If you post some of the more regular species you have not seen I am sure folk in East Yorks. will be more than happy to give you some locations to look.

Thanks for the reply, I have been to Spurn a few times and always manage to be in the wrong place - although I have picked up a couple of lifers at the Crown & Anchor ( Brent Geese last March )

In terms of what I still need to see ;

COMMON

Crossbill - Knot - Lesser Redpoll - Lesser Whitethroat - Rock Pipit - Tree Pipit - Whinchat

LOCAL

Bean Goose - Black Guillemot - Black Redstart - Black Throated Diver - Grasshopper Warbler - Nightingale - Quail - Crested Tit - Curlew Sandpiper - Dartford Warbler - Dotterel - Nightjar - Storm Petrel - Firecrest - Glaucous Gull - Bittern - Gooshawk - Hawfinch - Hooded Crow - Iceland Gull - Jack Snipe - Laplan Bunting - Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - Little Auk - Little Stint - Long Tailed Duck - Pied Flycatcher - Chough - Red Necked Grebe - Ptarmigan - Roseate Tern - Shore Lark - Slavonian Grebe - Snow Bunting - Twite - Velvet Scoter - Water Pipit - Capercaillie - Whimbrel - Wood Lark - Wood Sandpiper

Obviously there are thousands of Scarce, Rare and Mega that I haven't seen .... but these are the ones that I think I might have a chance of picking up. I appreciate that some of them are only available in other parts of the country ( Chough, Crested Tit, Capercaillie etc ) so that narrows down the list.

Any advice or suggestions for picking up any of these in 5 hours on Saturday afternoon would be fantastic

If it's easier then a PM would be awesome

Mal Skelton

mal knot must be the easiest. Just go to patrington haven or paull holme strays at high tide and you will see plenty although numbers have dropped off in the last month. Only 4000 at pat haven last week. Also merlin little egret short eared owl twite and loads of waders in the last 2 months.

i also suggest a mid may trip to wykeham. You should get tree pipit displayin around clearings crossbill flyin about and gosh from the raptor watchpoint plus honey buzzard and chance of better. At dusk you should see nightjar around the clearings plus woodcock. For lesser whitethroat try north cave wetlands. The hedge along the lane is best toward the farm.

Wykeham Raptor Viewpoint

Can anyone tell me if the path from the car park to the Wykeham raptor viewpoint is suitable for a wheelchair? I'd like to take my wife there, but there's no point if I can't get her wheelchair to the viewpoint.

In terms of what I still need to see ;

COMMON

Lesser Redpoll - Whinchat

These two are far from common in holderness (tho I guess Spurn would be the exception for passing migrants)

From the HVWG 2007 summary:

165. WHINCHAT. Saxicola rubetra
Singles at Stork Hill on 31st July and at Atwick on 2nd September.

214. LESSER REDPOLL. Carduellis cabaret.
At Atwick, six on 21st October and at Tophill Low, two on 21st January and a single again between 26th and 28th February.

"The Path of Brian" in Kelsey Gardens in Burstwick is a much nearer bet for him of Lesser Whitethroat. Should be easy to spot not long after they first arrive on or around 20th April. New website: http://www.kelseygardens.org.uk/menu1.htm

Familiarise yourself with the rattling song otherwise you'll easily overlook them. They tend to like tall thick overgrown hedges, though aren't as elusive as that makes them sound :t:

These two are far from common in holderness (tho I guess Spurn would be the exception for passing migrants)

At Atwick, six on 21st October and at Tophill Low, two on 21st January and a single again between 26th and 28th February.

It's depressing but in the early 80's Whinchats used to breed in the gorse bushes just west of the Kiplingcotes viaduct, whilst the redpolls were relatively abundant breeders among the birch scrub a few yards behind our cemetery on the old Hull to Withernsea railway line. Both species long gone from those areas. Meanwhile Avocets are increasing & there seems no end of Coots & Black-headed Gulls, now where's that razorblade? :-C

Bit more upto date info for Whinchat in 2009:
One spring record - A male was seen at Atwick on 26th April.
Singles: at Paull HS on 1st Aug & another at the west end of Hornsea Mere on 28th August. Atwick set-aside had 2 on 2nd September; another single at Brough Airfield Marsh on 12th September. Finally, a very late female/immature bird was at Haltemprice Farm, Willerby on 8th Oct.

If going to Whitby area in the summer it's definitely worth visiting YWT's Fen Bog where last year they could be seen only yards from where you leave the car.

Bit more upto date info for Whinchat in 2009:
One spring record - A male was seen at Atwick on 26th April.
Singles: at Paull HS on 1st Aug & another at the west end of Hornsea Mere on 28th August. Atwick set-aside had 2 on 2nd September; another single at Brough Airfield Marsh on 12th September. Finally, a very late female/immature bird was at Haltemprice Farm, Willerby on 8th Oct.

If going to Whitby area in the summer it's definitely worth visiting YWT's Fen Bog where last year they could be seen only yards from where you leave the car.

Didnt realise how good a record our whinchat was last year.

After the rain stopped this afternoon I managed to have a quick look round my local patch,got Chiffchaff singing,5 Sand Martins over the river and a Grrenshank feeding alongside the long staying Green Sandpiper.

mal knot must be the easiest. Just go to patrington haven or paull holme strays at high tide and you will see plenty although numbers have dropped off in the last month. Only 4000 at pat haven last week. Also merlin little egret short eared owl twite and loads of waders in the last 2 months.

Thanks for the info - I've visited Pat Haven four times in the last month, but I always get the tide times wrong ....... or when I get it right the sun is directly in front and I can't see for the reflection and glare. I was there at the weekend, managed to add Bar Tailed Godwit - there were probably Knot there then, but I was concentrating on the Godwits.

I've not seen the SEO there - but upto 3 Barn Owls at once

Mal Skelton

i also suggest a mid may trip to wykeham. You should get tree pipit displayin around clearings crossbill flyin about and gosh from the raptor watchpoint plus honey buzzard and chance of better. At dusk you should see nightjar around the clearings plus woodcock. For lesser whitethroat try north cave wetlands. The hedge along the lane is best toward the farm.

I went to Wykeham last March - got the GGS there, but dipped on Goshawk which another observer saw as we got out of the car.

I thought I'd missed the opportunity this year, but if you say mid May would be productive I'll diary that in.

I'm very interested when you say 'gosh from the raptor watchpoint plus honey buzzard and chance of better' ........... what on earth could possibly be better than that !!

Mal Skelton

I went to Wykeham last March - got the GGS there, but dipped on Goshawk which another observer saw as we got out of the car.

I thought I'd missed the opportunity this year, but if you say mid May would be productive I'll diary that in.

I'm very interested when you say 'gosh from the raptor watchpoint plus honey buzzard and chance of better' ........... what on earth could possibly be better than that !!

Mal Skelton

Black Kite?

Swilly Kittiwake

There was a colour-ringed Kittiwake today on Astley lake.
I've had a quick look on the web for info and think it's a French ringing programme.

Dave.

Attachments

• kit1.jpg
    kit1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 104
first 3 chiffchaff of the year including one in the garden today. I thought the bou had dropped black kite when they dropped raddes etc? I didnt see the bird in question and dont know if it was submitted to ynu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back