• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

I went to Wykeham last March - got the GGS there, but dipped on Goshawk which another observer saw as we got out of the car. I thought I'd missed the opportunity this year, but if you say mid May would be productive I'll diary that in. I'm very interested when you say 'gosh from the raptor watchpoint plus honey buzzard and chance of better' ........... what on earth could possibly be better than that !! Mal Skelton
black stork. Passage raptors such as hen harrier and osprey are better for the site.

Got a forthnight off starting tomorrow, first week on my own so giving some thought to a few days out. Tuesday and wednesday currently forecasting easterlies so probably heading to coast, how is Spurn doing at the moment? No website updates for two weeks and not much appearing on birdguides so are we at a lull where winter birds have gone and we are waiting for summer birds?

Got a forthnight off starting tomorrow, first week on my own so giving some thought to a few days out. Tuesday and wednesday currently forecasting easterlies so probably heading to coast, how is Spurn doing at the moment? No website updates for two weeks and not much appearing on birdguides so are we at a lull where winter birds have gone and we are waiting for summer birds?

James, the website has a problem at the moment but should hopefully be fixed soon. I don't send records to BIRDGUIDES, just to birdnet. 4 Firecrests today, black red, 5 Wheatear, 8 Chiffchaff so things are starting to pick up. also vis mig picking up, mainly chaffinches, linnets, albas and starlings.
Andy

Also the Glaucous Gull today at Spurn Jim. Easington beach. It's been around for a while. The Firecrest in bushes just past the gate near the warren showed really well at times. As Andy R said, Chiffs and Wheatear around, Mipits displaying, it's picking up.
Nice day there today as well, warm and sunny.

As for Alpine Swift, I did a migration watch for a while with exactly that species in mind to no avail. With the influx in Norfolk and the south coast involving at least 12 birds there should be a Yorkshire one pretty soon, especailly with this southerly airflow, with Spurn perhaps favourite to accomodate one!

Rutland Water

Wakefield RSPB are running a coach trip to Rutland Water this Sunday 28th March. Departs Wakefield Northgate public car park at 8am. Leaving Rutland at 4 30 pm. Cost £15. Plenty of seats available. All welcome. Turn up on the day or contact Paul on 01924 456352 for further details.

Also the Glaucous Gull today at Spurn Jim. Easington beach. It's been around for a while. The Firecrest in bushes just past the gate near the warren showed really well at times. As Andy R said, Chiffs and Wheatear around, Mipits displaying, it's picking up.
Nice day there today as well, warm and sunny.

As for Alpine Swift, I did a migration watch for a while with exactly that species in mind to no avail. With the influx in Norfolk and the south coast involving at least 12 birds there should be a Yorkshire one pretty soon, especailly with this southerly airflow, with Spurn perhaps favourite to accomodate one!

Didn't see you today Mr Quigley, i spent from 6 till 11 counting Chaffinches, cracking morning but very surprised the swift capital of the uk hasn't pulled an alp in yet!

i also suggest a mid may trip to wykeham. You should get tree pipit displayin around clearings crossbill flyin about and gosh from the raptor watchpoint plus honey buzzard and chance of better. At dusk you should see nightjar around the clearings plus woodcock. For lesser whitethroat try north cave wetlands. The hedge along the lane is best toward the farm.

Where about is Wykeham? Heard it mentioned lots but I don't know where it is!:-C

the village of Wykeham is on the A170 Scarborough - Pickering road. Take the minor road North from the village, at the side of the pub, can't remember the pub name, follow this road for a good couple of miles and you'll reach a sharp left hand turn, the raptor viewpoint car park is about 200 yards further along on your right. There's an obvious path from the car park to the viewpoint.

We'll get one very soon Andy!

Was at Spurn Thursday, I think my post said "today" which was wrong.
It was good to be out, been laid up for weeks from an operation so enjoyed the nice weather and the birds. I take it you're down there for a while now?

Back down Tuesday, winds go east they say, but maybe still a little early in the year.
Possibly early stuff like Hoopoe and Alp.

See you down there.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Potterick Carr

Spent the day down at Potterick Carr as a trip from the Low Barns Photography Group and was pleased to get a couple of pics of a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - a first for me

Attachments

• Lesser-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    Lesser-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Lesser-Spotted-Woodpecker4b.jpg
    Lesser-Spotted-Woodpecker4b.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 63
We'll get one very soon Andy!

Was at Spurn Thursday, I think my post said "today" which was wrong.
It was good to be out, been laid up for weeks from an operation so enjoyed the nice weather and the birds. I take it you're down there for a while now?

Back down Tuesday, winds go east they say, but maybe still a little early in the year.
Possibly early stuff like Hoopoe and Alp.

See you down there.

yes Mark, down here now until mid June, you never know at this time of year, it would be nice to get a a white-spotted Bluethroat, there's only ever been two at Spurn!

Anyone got any gen on what was at Spurn today?
Might go in the morning.

Hi Martin, elusive Firecrest at Warren, a continental Stonechat at Sheep Field but only early morning, black red at sandy beaches, 2 glaucous gulls n the beach, black brant on the Humber, coal tit, lots of passag inc first Swallow.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back