• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Had a few hours in the parkland at Nostell Priory this afternoon. Highlight being 3 Green Woodpeckers feeding in a field in the sun blissfully unaware of being watched. Also a G S Woody there as well. To sum up the time of year we saw a few Chiffchaffs and also saw 4 Fieldfares.

Had a few hours in the parkland at Nostell Priory this afternoon. Highlight being 3 Green Woodpeckers feeding in a field in the sun blissfully unaware of being watched. Also a G S Woody there as well. To sum up the time of year we saw a few Chiffchaffs and also saw 4 Fieldfares.

i spend quite a bit of time at nostell john and theres always something about,i found a nest site for spotted flycatchers down there last year and i am hoping they come back although cant get a pass out till next weekend

Does anybody know anymore about the garganey/jack snipe seen on wheldrake last week? Any info such as which hides they were seen at would be good.

cheers mark.

Only 4 Lifers: Got there just in time for the Lesser Kestrel - it was showing at distance for a few minutes before flying into pines. Got good views considering the distance and saw the paler underwings, unspotted mantle and blue in the wing as well as the more intensely blue head and masked effect on the face. I bogged off to Minsmere when it started raining to hide in a hide. This was a good choice as a 1st-w Caspian Gull dropped onto the marsh - absolute classic individual (bad pics to follow on blog). It even did its diagnostic display bit and the call was shriller and reedier than Herring Gull. It was next to adult Yellow-legged Gull on a bund near east hide so i moved round to try and get better pics. As i moved round several Cetti's Warblers sang. On entering east hide the Yellow-leg was asleep and there was no sign of the Caspo. Another Cetti's parped up in the reeds under the hide before flitting to another clump of reeds - a retick. Much happier with that now. It kept singing away. I had to make a move home via Lowestoft where I saw the two roosting Alpine Swifts which were pretty inanimate and showing no visible white in the fog. Also year ticked Swallow, Avocet and Spotshank

Was thinking only need Gyr, American Kestrel and Eleonoras to finish my UK falcons...
And American Herring & Ring-billed for the large white-headed gulls (because Audouins doesnt count being closer related to med gulls)

Last edited:
Has anyone been to see the Bearded Tits on Calder Wetlands yet ?

1 reported yesterday and then 2 today .. Hoping they hang around until Sat so that I can take a trip up there.

not that early ta!
If you go send me a text and I'll be over mid morning, that is if the weather doesn't go stupid overnight. I've got stuff to do first thing but should be able to hit the road around 9.15.

Anyone been to Spurn lately? Considering atrip over tomorrow but may postpone to next week if it's still quiet.

Fairy quiet James, although first Blackcap and Willow Warbler today with a few chiffs and a Wheatear, maybe ok for a bit of passage early morning between the rain but generally not expecting too much tomorrow!
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back