• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Has anyone seen or heard of the reported White Tailed Eagle in the N.Yorks area ? last seen in the Ainderby Steeple area and as our flat looks out that way it would be a great window tick.

12 Waxwings still present outside number 70 Northgate, Cottingham today..but flighty

Attachments

• waxwing (1 of 1).jpg
    waxwing (1 of 1).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 43
  • waxwing (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    waxwing (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 43
  • waxwing (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    waxwing (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 41
Has anyone seen or heard of the reported White Tailed Eagle in the N.Yorks area ? last seen in the Ainderby Steeple area and as our flat looks out that way it would be a great window tick.

It flew south-west near Ainderby yesterday and I understand was seen over the A1 later, thought it might turn up in the Nosterfield/Snape area today

WT Eagle

It flew south-west near Ainderby yesterday and I understand was seen over the A1 later, thought it might turn up in the Nosterfield/Snape area today

Certainly have; great views as it circled over my house! It was over Flamborough for 35 minutes from 1300hrs and was last seen flying low towards Bempton village.

Thinking of taking my first trip out to Swilly on Tuesday..

Other than spending time in the hide are there other areas I can visit too? I have heard mention of St Aidans and Woodlesford lock and the likes but have no idea where they are or how to get to them?

Anyone any info please?

Thanks chaps ..

It was a hell of an exciting find and shows the potential of local patch work even for us inland birders. Pure luck as well, I'd have missed it if I'd been five minutes later crossing the fields, makes you wonder how many good birds we must all have missed over the years!

Nick

It was a hell of an exciting find and shows the potential of local patch work even for us inland birders. Pure luck as well, I'd have missed it if I'd been five minutes later crossing the fields, makes you wonder how many good birds we must all have missed over the years!

Nick

Presumably the recently released (untickable) radio tagged bird previously seen in Northumberland. Don't suppose anyone looked too hard for that radio transmitter

www.ofpiesandbirds.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Personaly I don't understand why some fellow birders don't tick white-tailed eagles from reintroduction schemes. They were wild before release and are wild after their release, I agree that the sat tags arn't very attractive but they are important so that the movements can be monitored.

I better take Red Kite of my list as well ;)

I don't mean for this post to sound like I want an argument because I don't. Just a friendly exchange of posts as I would be interested to find out why some people wouldn't tick this bird if they saw it.

Personaly I don't understand why some fellow birders don't tick white-tailed eagles from reintroduction schemes. They were wild before release and are wild after their release, I agree that the sat tags arn't very attractive but they are important so that the movements can be monitored.

I better take Red Kite of my list as well ;)

I don't mean for this post to sound like I want an argument because I don't. Just a friendly exchange of posts as I would be interested to find out why some people wouldn't tick this bird if they saw it.

The Red Kites are established now over several years and it's easy to see birds that are not wing-tagged, and are several generations down the line.

The recent re-introduction of White-tailed Eagle currently involves solely wing-tagged birds that are not established.

I'd enjoy seeing such a fantastic bird, but it wouldn't get anywhere near my lists. Fortunately I saw the Holderness bird.

Its probably a wandering bird from Fife in which case its a 1st gen re-intro. If it was shown to be from the west coast it would be tickable.

Other than spending time in the hide are there other areas I can visit too? I have heard mention of St Aidans and Woodlesford lock and the likes but have no idea where they are or how to get to them?

Anyone any info please?

Thanks chaps ..

The hide has a combination padlock, so if there is no-one there you won't be able to get in, unless you are a member and know the combination.

You can walk east along the river from the hide, cross the river by the first bridge and follow the fence alongside the St Aidan's site with pretty good views - there is no legal access to St Aidan's.

A scope helps in the hide and for St Aidan's.

Its probably a wandering bird from Fife in which case its a 1st gen re-intro. If it was shown to be from the west coast it would be tickable.

Interesting debate. But say the bird was an adult but was still a 1st generation reintroduction from the west coast, one that had raised young for several years and decided to have a wander. Would you still say you couldn't count it, just because it was not hatched and raised in the UK? Would this current wandering bird always remain 'untickable' for the whole of its livespan?!
The same with Red Kites. You'd have to read all wing tags to determine what years reintroducion it was and whether it was a released bird or a bird tagged as a juv hatched in the UK. Or with Corncrakes on the Nene Washes - returning released bird or one hatched in the wild?

A difficult one to come up with any rules over, but only applicable if you actually keep a 'competitive' list! I personally don't keep a UK list and wouldn't care! Just happy to see a Red Kite, W-t Eagle etc.

If you follow the BOU British list, W-t Eagles are classed as category 'AC3E', the C3 bit meaning "Naturalized re-established species - species with populations successfully re-established by Man in areas of former occurrence, e.g. Red Kite Milvus milvus". If its part of a reintroduction sceme (at whatever stage), then the species is countable under BOU guidelines.

Mark

It should be up to the individual what they tick. They saw it, they decide. Will the bird mafia kneecap someone for ticking something they don't like? Frankly my own list is for things I see not what people tell me to see. Birdtrack are interested in reports of feral birds so there is some value in reporting suspect species.

Anyone any info please?

Thanks chaps ..
Hi Simmo, Woodlesford lock is close to a mile West of the hide as you head toward Leeds. There is another lock further on which is close to Skelton Lake but the wrong side of the river for the lake. If you ever do go to Skelton it might be best to go with someone, there is something unsettling about the place (although that comes from the first time I went there and the place had a look of Beruit at that time).
A lot of the places away from the paths i.e. Fleet Plantation or Lowther Lake will be very boggy but there is still plenty to look at following the footpaths around the river.

Hi Simmo, Woodlesford lock is close to a mile West of the hide as you head toward Leeds. There is another lock further on which is close to Skelton Lake but the wrong side of the river for the lake. If you ever do go to Skelton it might be best to go with someone, there is something unsettling about the place (although that comes from the first time I went there and the place had a look of Beruit at that time).
A lot of the places away from the paths i.e. Fleet Plantation or Lowther Lake will be very boggy but there is still plenty to look at following the footpaths around the river.

Thanks for that Chris, I had been wondering about walking along to Skelton Lake from the hide, now I know I can't - it saves me discovering the hard way.

Out of interest would you know how the parking situation is at Skelton?
I know it used to be dubious at the best of times, last time I was there (mid 1990's) you could still drive around the lake in your car which I prefered to do, rather then leaving the car by the entrance as it used to be littered with car window glass indicating high levels of car crime. I agree about visiting in company rather than solo, even in the car I was never very happy about the area but it does turn up some good birds.

Three Egyptian in LDV recently - been displaying and looking for nest sites but moved on recently with re-flooding of the site. Appeared fairly wary so probably feral but who knows. We did however catch one (a large male) with a whoosh net on grain and BTO ring it - it certainly didn't respond like a captive bird!- how well did you see the legs and worth looking at them again - its only a small metal BTO ring so doesn't always get picked up a first sight. The number and timing just seems interesting - one pair and a single bird which takes a bit of a rough time of it.

cheers

Hi LDV Birder

It seems more than likely they are the same birds but.....regarding the ring, I only had bins with me but we were no more than 20 yard away. Cant say I saw any ring/s but Im doubting myself now, I do need my eyes testing!!!!!

How do? Could anyone tell me the best area of langsett wood to spot crossbill? I,ve been a few times and keep missing, also been to wigtwizzle a couple of times aswell, turning into Quest now!! Noticed on sbsg that 8 at been seen at langsett wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back