• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

via Bempton... it probably flew over Hotspur's house to get to Tophill... actually looking at the map it more likely flew over my old man's house :eek!::eek!::eek!:

Richard Hampshire heard Black-headed Gulls going crazy, and assumed it was going to be an Osprey & then wham, bang the flying barn door went within 50ft of his head, I think he said. He will put a full report on his blog entry for today: http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/

We're heading over to Newport near Hull on Sunday for a family do and i'm hoping to fit in a bit of bird watching if we have time.

Is there anywhere close by Newport or on the way from Leeds that doesn't involve too much of a detour that anyone could recommend?

We're heading over to Newport near Hull on Sunday for a family do and i'm hoping to fit in a bit of bird watching if we have time.

Is there anywhere close by Newport or on the way from Leeds that doesn't involve too much of a detour that anyone could recommend?

On foot: There are ponds at Newport itself, which may be viewable. You can also walk north up Market Weighton Canal from there. However, the best bet is probably North Cave Wetlands which is only a 10 min drive away - you can expect 40-50 species on an average day. It is a relatively new Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve, but the YWT are already classing it as one of their top 5 reserves! http://www.ywt.org.uk/north_cave_wetlands.php There are 3 hides & you have an option of a circular walk right round the reserve. http://www.northcavewetlands.co.uk/
There are other options, but they are probably the best.

Good luck

That sounds perfect, the Wetlands it is, thanks very much for the quick replies.:t:

It looks like there are quite a few birds there i've not seen before so fingers crossed!

Didn't get to Cuthroat bridge today due to a lack of time ... Due to forgetting about my car's MOT .. DOH !!!

Ended up at Langsett Wood not far from the Flouch .. Had a good 2 hours in the woods and over the moors. Got loads of Red Grouse (another for the yearlist) but came away 'Ouzel-less' Not sure if it is a tad too early yet or maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.. Did get a group of 8 Crossbills though just next to the wood alongside the A616.

Dave
we'd rouzel in Arkengarthdale (north of Reeth) on Sunday so they are back.

Didn't get to Cuthroat bridge today due to a lack of time ... Due to forgetting about my car's MOT .. DOH !!!

Ended up at Langsett Wood not far from the Flouch .. Had a good 2 hours in the woods and over the moors. Got loads of Red Grouse (another for the yearlist) but came away 'Ouzel-less' Not sure if it is a tad too early yet or maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.. Did get a group of 8 Crossbills though just next to the wood alongside the A616.

Just got back from Whitton Lincs. got there to find the Eagle had flown off North 20 mins earlier. We stood there for an hour in the vain hope it would come back. Luckily i picked it up flying East over North shore of the Humber and we tracked it for about 10 mins until lost to view. Distant views but a result given how close we were to packing in.

marc

Freakin' cold in winter Dave!
I've been up there when it's -7 with no wind...not too bad. Last Sunday it was +1 but I reckon the wind chill was taking it down to easily -7 but probably a fair bit lower and that was bone numbing after a while.

Arkengarthdale .. That is a 'wicked' name .. I might move there just so that I can impress people when they ask me where I live ....

If you are feeling very energetic you can walk to Skelton Lake, either from the hide or (easier) from Woodlesford Lock car park. Follow the canal towards Leeds on the river side (from the hide you need to cross the canal on the bridge that carries the A642 Wakefield-Garforth road to get to Woodlesford Lock) up beyond Fishpond Lock, go up onto, rather than under, the arched concrete bidge over the canal and cross the river on a similar concrete bridge, then scramble down to the spillway from the river leading to the lake.

Or park on Bullough Lane, Rothwell, and walk down to the river through Rothwell "Country Park"? Shorter, but possibly less secure for the car than Woodlesford Lock.

First Willow Warbler and Swallow of the year for me this evening in a lovely walk around a reservoir twenty-five minutes north of here I've decided not to name in case it becomes popular. As usual had the entire place completely to myself with not a dogwalker in sight. (Also got 1st willow warbler and swallow here in 2008 on the same date) Also 1 woodcock, 3 x Green Woodpecker, 5 x GSW, several Linnets, 10 Meadow Pipits in a tree, Goldfinch feeding on larch cones, and a lovely sunset.

Graham

Better still there is a hamlet in the dale called Booze o:)o:)

Really ?? I,m torn now .. Living in a Hamlet sounds good .. A Hamlet in a Dale sounds even better and one named 'Booze' is about as good as it gets !!!

Any advances .. I wouldn,t mind living in Kronenbourg but dont have a passport

Didn't Julia Bradbury pass through Booze on her "coast to coast" walk for the BBC? Or am I imagining that?
Had my first swallow a couple of weeks ago but no willow warbler yet, first blackcaps singing last weekend. I felt like getting out last night after work but the bike chain snapped on the way home so I'll have to wait until the weekend.

We went to the YWT reserve at Staveley earlier this week,plenty of Chiffchaff singing,1 Willow Warbler,1 Swallow along with Sand Martins,singing Blackcaps along with good numbers of Tree Sparrows and Reed Buntings.

dilemma

just a few hundred yards from my house the farmer has allowed someone to put in some fishing ponds and last weekend there was a match on ,i had a walk down there and spotted a grey heron looking very twitchy,after about 10 minutes watching it from a distance the heron flew up after being shooed off by 2 or 3 men....anyway this morning i have had a walk down while there was no one around to find the heron dead in a tree,my dilemma is what do i do about this....i have a photo of it but havent posted it for fear of getting in trouble with you all on here....advice would be appreciated

just a few hundred yards from my house the farmer has allowed someone to put in some fishing ponds and last weekend there was a match on ,i had a walk down there and spotted a grey heron looking very twitchy,after about 10 minutes watching it from a distance the heron flew up after being shooed off by 2 or 3 men....anyway this morning i have had a walk down while there was no one around to find the heron dead in a tree,my dilemma is what do i do about this....i have a photo of it but havent posted it for fear of getting in trouble with you all on here....advice would be appreciated

Report it to the West Yorkshire Force Wildlife Officer - Sally Smart - 07802 308627

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6cSkWpSp_0&feature=related

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back