• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

The East Yorkshire Barn Owls are still putting on a good show - this one not getting attacked by a Kestrel! More of Vince's shots on the blog!

Attachments

• Barnie__3.jpg
    Barnie__3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 50
If the 25 minutes North of here refers to Yorkshire and not 'daan sarf' then I reckon I know where you mean. Don't worry though...I'll keep mum as well as it is truly a lovely spot.

First Willow Warbler and Swallow of the year for me this evening in a lovely walk around a reservoir twenty-five minutes north of here I've decided not to name in case it becomes popular. As usual had the entire place completely to myself with not a dogwalker in sight. (Also got 1st willow warbler and swallow here in 2008 on the same date) Also 1 woodcock, 3 x Green Woodpecker, 5 x GSW, several Linnets, 10 Meadow Pipits in a tree, Goldfinch feeding on larch cones, and a lovely sunset.

Graham

Excellent response for once.
Let's hope something can be done.
sally assured me that the matter would be treat with urgency (which to be honest brought one of those..ohhh yeah...kind of thoughts ) but within 2 hours i had a call from an officer who was on site and asking me to pinpoint exactly where the heron was..:clap:

Excellent response for once.
Let's hope something can be done.

Ditto to that .. As my confidence in the RSPB isn't exactly 100% (and I bloody work for them) am I correct in assuming that we should have a South Yorks equivalent? Just a thought while I am out doing my warden bit on Sundays should I happen to see anything.

I went round langsett on tuesday + it was blowing a gale, not surprising that i didn't see much! I saw what i thought was a crossbill but the view was across the res + to distant to be 100%. I had a better day yesterday up at bempton, flamborough + filey. Usual gulls etc at bempton, red throated diver at flamborough, purple sand + usual at filey + what i thought was a curlew was a whimbrel, couldn't get good views until it flew + started calling, thought it might be a bit early for whimbrel!!

The one last Friday was in the South Cave area, and I suppose I was about 20 feet away. He's been round there for nearly 5 years that I know about. Can PM directions if you want to look for it. The one attacking a Barn Owl on my blog was in the Sunk Island area, and the one eating a Kingfisher (also on the blog) was near York.
Cheers

Hi Bird Flower I would love you to send directions as I would love to try to catch it on camera. By the way what camera and lens did you use and can you tell me what shutter speed you used (that is if you don't mind giving away your secrets) many thanks

Hi Bird Flower I would love you to send directions as I would love to try to catch it on camera. By the way what camera and lens did you use and can you tell me what shutter speed you used (that is if you don't mind giving away your secrets) many thanks

Why don't you enroll for one of his classes? I am sure he would be happy to give you the info :t:

Alternatively I know that he offers Barn Owl Safari's which would give you a good chance.

Why don't you enroll for one of his classes? I am sure he would be happy to give you the info :t:

Alternatively I know that he offers Barn Owl Safari's which would give you a good chance.

It's crazy, but true: a couple travelled from Church Fenton, Tadcaster every week through the winter, and now they've been joined by women from Skipton & Scarcroft (Leeds) who have enrolled for the summer.

I don't really have any secrets about taking photographs (I wish), but will PM you details of the site.

A walk round 27 and increasing signs of spring. Cowslip and colsfoot are flowering, bumble bees making the most of them along with comma, small tortoiseshell and peacock butterflies. First WW of the year up there, lots of chiffchaff, LTT nest building a cracking pair of grey wags. Ace.

had my first swallow of the year up at the lighthouse a couple of hours ago, had a chiffchaff in the garden this afternoon, along with the 2 resident stock doves, and 50 + tree sparrows, a firecrest reported to be in sandholes gully early this afternoon too

Ditto to that .. As my confidence in the RSPB isn't exactly 100% (and I bloody work for them) am I correct in assuming that we should have a South Yorks equivalent? Just a thought while I am out doing my warden bit on Sundays should I happen to see anything.

If i have ever had a bird collection or possible shooting incident i have always contacted the RSPB team at Sandy and always had a fantastic responce.
They do an excellent job and give good advice.

Spurn

I had a very pleasant trip to Spurn today, I spent most of my time at sammy's Point and canal Scrape.
Saw wheatear, swallow, chiff chaff and willow warbler at Sammy's.
pair of blackcap at the crown.
yellow wag, 'scandinavian rock pipit' and flyover buzzard at canal scrape.
Bird of the day was a fine water pipit, I picked it out on the other side of the bank before I got chance to put it out on the radio one of the locals enterd the hide and duly obliged.before I knew it the hide was full, I didn't realise it would cause so much interest but apparently this was only the 16th ever for Spurn.
well chuffed.
For anyone interested there are more details on the blog.

Attachments

• wp2.jpg
    wp2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 111
  • wp3.jpg
    wp3.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 96
  • wp5.jpg
    wp5.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 104
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 59
  • yw3.jpg
    yw3.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 69
That Yellow Wagtail is gorgeous, Martin!

No sign of any migrants other than Chiffchaff at Bolton Abbey this evening. Dippers nest-building and Goosanders cavorting though. Kingfisher, Tawny Owl and 2+ roding Woodcock at Barden Bridge, plus Daubenton's, Noctule and presumed Brown Long-eared Bat.

Graham

Graham's post reminded me to mention the pair of Goosander on the Aire at Gotts Bridge on Redcote Lane, only a mile or so from Leeds city centre. They looked quite cosy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back