• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Just got back from Whitton Lincs. got there to find the Eagle had flown off North 20 mins earlier. We stood there for an hour in the vain hope it would come back. Luckily i picked it up flying East over North shore of the Humber and we tracked it for about 10 mins until lost to view. Distant views but a result given how close we were to packing in.

marc

Hello Marc

Went over for the Eagle same night as yourself. I rang Blacktoft Sands first for more info, they told me to "go to Witton village and view from there". No good. After a while I managed to get Grid reference for the bird, so I headed to Alkborough village, all to no avail. I didn't see any other birder, I was obviously in the wrong place! Where exactly were you, just out of interest?

Cheers,

Q

In Whitton village, next to the town hall is a lane that runs to the Humber shore. Its only c100 yards to the end and there is a bank with benches which over looks a really wide area of the Humber - all the way to the bridge. The bird its self was dead opposite as it flew East for around ten minutes. When we arrived though there where no others birders around - we were just trying to find some ground to scan from in light of the pager meassages saying it was in flight.

Marc

After a rather inactive couple of weeks I've finally got some migrants down, all in the NW Sheffield area (yeah, I know, I don't make it easy on myself!). Swallow, wheatear and willow warbler were all mopped up as expected, but the biggest surprise was a cracking male redstart singing away at Agden Rocher.

Also picked up little owl for the yearlist (finally!)... red grouse, raven, buzzard, green woody also seen. Not a bad morning, really.

Brimstone through the garden this morning.

Has anyone seen any Orange Tip yet - aiming to get a photo of this butterfly this Spring?

Thanks.

Hi Guys - went through your area (I think!) on Thursday last on the way to Whitby - at the M1/A1 junction 47 had a great view of a Red Kite, didn't know if it was worth a mention, is it one of a few hundred intro'd?
No other details - seen from car - nothing visible wing tag wise....

There are quite a few unmarked birds now, I believe that there are up to 4th generation birds around now as the introduced birds were breeding inside the first two years of the project starting in the 1990's. They've been a great success in Yorkshire, breeding as far away as the Yorkshire Wolds and apparently up in the Gateshead area.

Hi Guys - went through your area (I think!) on Thursday last on the way to Whitby - at the M1/A1 junction 47 had a great view of a Red Kite, didn't know if it was worth a mention, is it one of a few hundred intro'd?

The original introduced birds and their descendants have spread out quite a long way from the introduction site at Harewood by now - from memory I think there were around 80 pairs last year. I've seen them as far north as Ripon, and as far east as Howden. Red Kites are seen regularly on the Lincolnshire coast, though they may be southerners.

To confuse matters further, there appears to be a lot of interchange with the other introduced populations, and individuals have been tracked travelling considerable distances - one of the Yorkshire birds was tracked from Harewood to the Chilterns and back in three days, I believe.

Had 2 little gulls drop in on Old Moor today (Wath Ings) , a hybrid med/blackhead was on the Mere and a report of a firecrest outside the Wath hide but not sure how accurate that one is ....

Dave
there was a firecrest there last year sometime if my memory is not playing tricks on me
Had 2 little gulls drop in on Old Moor today (Wath Ings) , a hybrid med/blackhead was on the Mere and a report of a firecrest outside the Wath hide but not sure how accurate that one is ....

Bloody Harewood!

Just looking at the Birdguides list for today and see that there was white stork listed for Somerset and Gwent, no escape symbols by them, white stork listed for Wolley in Yorkshire and there's that escape symbol by it.
I was under the impression that Harewood were ringing all their birds now.

Had a great weekend, amazing what a bit of nice weather can do.

Went out of bounds yesterday to see the Hawfinches at Sizergh, Had at least 5 birds around for a couple of hours. Moved on to Leighton Moss but only did the Eric area hides. 30 Avocet, 1500 Blackwit, pintails, RBM and the most obliging Kestrel.

Travlled south hoping for the GGS near Clitheroe but it had gone. Afternoon was a bit of a disappointment, missed the GGS and Hen Harrier after a bloody long uphill walk.

Got out this afternoon after the football. Common Scoter and Twite at Warley res, pinkfoot to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 80
Had a great weekend, amazing what a bit of nice weather can do.

Went out of bounds yesterday to see the Hawfinches at Sizergh, Had at least 5 birds around for a couple of hours. Moved on to Leighton Moss but only did the Eric area hides. 30 Avocet, 1500 Blackwit, pintails, RBM and the most obliging Kestrel.

Travlled south hoping for the GGS near Clitheroe but it had gone. Afternoon was a bit of a disappointment, missed the GGS and Hen Harrier after a bloody long uphill walk.

Got out this afternoon after the football. Common Scoter and Twite at Warley res, pinkfoot to follow.

the kestrel photo is a belter james :t:

Brimstone through the garden this morning.

Has anyone seen any Orange Tip yet - aiming to get a photo of this butterfly this Spring?

Thanks.

The first ones are usually seen towards the end of April whilst the peak sightings in 2008 were before the middle of May. Round here Far Ings, Leven Canal & Pocklington Canal are pretty reliable. In 2008 Fairburn Ings on 2nd May & Nosterfield on 10th of May were the places to be! Peak times & likely habitats of all Yorkshire main butterfly species are given on my calendar!

Good luck

No problem - as im sure you can gather they arent very common at all in yorks so friend was very lucky. :)

Ah ....that explains why I have yet to see one myself !!!

Any advice as regards my chances of adding one to my Yorkshire list would be very welcome. PM,s if necessary of course ..

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back