• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Obviously the site you mentioned Dave, or you could try north of Reeth, we had a singleton raven over the moor above Langthwaite when out looking for black grouse the other week. That was my first Yorkshire raven, only took me 28 years!

Obviously the site you mentioned Dave, or you could try north of Reeth, we had a singleton raven over the moor above Langthwaite when out looking for black grouse the other week. That was my first Yorkshire raven, only took me 28 years!

Cheers Keith .. 28 years !!! I,ll be in my mid 70's by then !!

I best get a move on !!

Last edited:

Took me that long to see a Buzzard in Yorkshire, and now look at them. I live in hope that Ravens will follow!

Had a great morning at North Cave Wetlands on Sunday, thanks for the advice on that. Five new birds for me - Avocet, Little Ringed Plover, Wigeon, Yellowhammer and Snipe. Lots of Bh Gulls, Greylag Geese, Lapwing, Redshank, Great Crested & Little Grebes plus others. Saw my first Swallows and Sand Martins of the year too.

In Whitton village, next to the town hall is a lane that runs to the Humber shore. Its only c100 yards to the end and there is a bank with benches which over looks a really wide area of the Humber - all the way to the bridge. The bird its self was dead opposite as it flew East for around ten minutes. When we arrived though there where no others birders around - we were just trying to find some ground to scan from in light of the pager meassages saying it was in flight.

Marc

Cheers Marc.

I was at that spot for a short time. I should've had more patience.

Kites moving into Leeds?

Red Kite hunting along the Fairway in Gipton yesterday. This is the hill where the urban Rooks also hang out. Incongrous seeing a Kite soaring around the tower blocks. This is the furthest into town I've seen them yet.

John

I've seen one fly over what used to be the Compton pub and we have had them fly over Jimmys hospital. I've heard of them being seen over the Headrow too.

Red Kite hunting along the Fairway in Gipton yesterday. This is the hill where the urban Rooks also hang out. Incongrous seeing a Kite soaring around the tower blocks. This is the furthest into town I've seen them yet.

John

Walshey's comment reminds me to ask you to report any sightings of Red Kites in East Yorkshire at this time of year away from their known haunts to Yorkshire Red Kites. The info they wished me to send to my clients is given below. If you do see Red Kites in unusual settings in other parts of Yorkshire it may also be worth contacting them, for them to forward on. If you happen to spot them in woodland, please do not post this info direct on this forum.

‘Yorkshire Red Kites have requested that should you have sightings in East Yorkshire of Red Kites, in particular areas where activity hasn’t been seen previously, then please post them on their Website, www.yorkshireredkites.net .’

Cheers

There was a colour-ringed Kittiwake today on Astley lake.
I've had a quick look on the web for info and think it's a French ringing programme.

Dave.

Just found out that this bird was ringed a chick at Pointe du Raz in Western Brittany, France on 11th July 2009, and last seen there on 19th August.

If people need Yorkshire ravens give me a shout - they're fairly easy in my neck of the woods. Saw three on Saturday.

Hi Pete

I wouldn't mind having details of your raven site. Just noted your year list bogey as blackcap. There are loads at potteric carr and although I'm sure you'll probably pick them up closer to home before long it might be worth a trip as there is a nice adult med gull there at the moment

cheers

Pete

Male Brambling at the feeding station up at bempton RSPB reserve today
101e0283.jpg

Hi Pete

I wouldn't mind having details of your raven site. Just noted your year list bogey as blackcap. There are loads at potteric carr and although I'm sure you'll probably pick them up closer to home before long it might be worth a trip as there is a nice adult med gull there at the moment

cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yeah, there'll be a blackcap singing in my garden any day now, so I don't need to travel for one! They're just being annoying slow to reach me this year - they tend to filter this far west a bit slower and end up at Potteric, Old Moor and the east of the City a few days earlier.

I'll send you a PM re ravens.

Last edited:
Flamborough

2 long tailed tit's, 1 willow warbler, 2 chiffchaff's in whelkie wynds early this afternoon, 3 lapwing nest's in one of our fields too

Just wondering if any of you have a couple of hours free to do some Atlas fieldwork this breeding season. There are still a number of 10-km squares in Yorkshire where we haven't reached the minimum allocation of tetrads (2 x 2 km squares) and I'm really keen to get these allocated asap as we are now in the penultimate year of breeding season fieldwork and only one winter left. The minimum requirement is two 1 hour visits in the breeding season (one visit April or May and one visit June or July) and two 1 hour visits in the winter (one visit Nov or Dec and one visit Jan or Feb). The 10-km squares in desperate need of help are:

North Yorks
TA09 Tetrads A (Scalby) and C (Cloughton) both need winter coverage
NZ60 two tetrads need covering in winter - Westerdale/Baysdale area

Hull area
TA12 Tetrad P (Hull) or several on south side of the Humber in the Goxhill area

South Yorks
SK59 need 3 more tetrads in the Tickhil/Coinsbrough area
SK69 needs at least one more tetrad in Bawtry/Finningley area

Although the minimum allocation has been reached in all other 10-km squares in Yorkshire a lot of tetrads have not yet been done so I'm really keen that a few more are taken on to ensure we reach the minimum requirement (8 tetrads done in a 10-km square) by the end of the project. You can see what tetrads are free at www.birdatlas.net - register by clicking on the red button and then 'Request TTV' to view 10-km squares.

For a quick look at what has been done in Yorkshire and where the big gaps in species coverage are go to http://www.bto.org/birdatlas/latest_results/regionalresultsnav.htm and select your BTO region. We still need a lot of casual birding records and breeding evidence to fill in gaps in 10-km squares.

The last issue of BTO News had the provisional map for Raven in - really quite impressive!

If you can take on a tetrad either request through the website or drop me a line at [email protected]

Thanks
Dawn
Atlas Coordinator

Anyone any more gen on this? Seems it was watched for over 2 hours so this either means it's someone trying to turn a Velvet Scoter in to one or its someone who knows they've got a Harlequin but doesn't wanna put their necks on the line! Any info appreciated.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back