• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

I have always wondered, how many genuine white storks make Yorkshire, just to be put down as those "bloody Harewood birds"?!

Three must have been quite an impressive sight.

Spurn

Rare visit for me to spurn and had a pretty decent day.
Gropper, whitethroat, lesser whitethroat, redstart, little tern, yellow wagtail and
about 20 wheater near cafe at the point - never seen so many together.
Also a lifer for me at sammys point of a male ring ouzel.

Spent an hour down at Calder Wetlands last night - not too much about - 1 Dunlin, 2 LR Plovers, 2 Ringed Plovers and a load of sand martins. Was hoping to come across the odd tern or sedge/reed warbler but no sign or sound of any yet........

Cuckoo

Went To Howell Wood This Morning, Had To Be Back For 9.30am (wife Needed Car To Scratch Yet Again) Anyway didnt Spot Anything New After Checking Around The Various Nest Sites I'm Keeping My Eye On....but As I Was Heading To Car about 9am Heard The Magical Sound Of A Cuckoo Calling Sounded Far Enough Away For Me To Have To Skip It ...will This Hang Around ?

nightingale up at thornwick caravan site, elusive, but seen it twice in flight, and heard it calling a few times late this afternoon, its in the hedge on the left hand side across the grass as you drive up the main entrance to the camp site, there is a ww2 machine gun pill box in the middle of the hedge , had a male blackcap and a willow warbler in the garden too this morning,

Led a local bird club walk at Scar House Reservoir (Upper Nidderdale ) yesterday,Common Sandpipers,Wheatear,1 singing Ring Ouzel and Meadow Pipits as well as 7 Whooper Swans which took off heading over the hills.Siskin and Lesser Redpoll and Swallows around rhe dam area.

A day at Burbage Valley on the Sheffield/Derbys border today. Highlights included 4 ring ouzels, a hobby, a cuckoo getting grief from meadow pips, and a singing tree pipit - all nice additions to the yearlist.

It's sort of site that makes me glad I don't keep a serious Yorkshire list, seeing as the birds were flitting willy nilly over the vicecounty borders!

Old Moor is good for lunchtime visits as it is compact enough to get from car park to furthest point in a relatively short time. Potteric might be too big for lunchtime visit.
Sadly both of these close their doors early, although Potteric did have an double gate affair for leaving the reserve after closing time...don't know if it is still in place.
What about Rother Valley Country Park?

I'll bump it up for you, would be crass not to!

QUOTE]

Nice one!

Nothing particularly norvern although if there's any moorland with Ring Ouzels, that'd be good. Old Moor sounds good if there really are Tree Sparrows as advertised, although I'm pretty convinced that they're actually extinct! Rother Valley Country Park seems close, mght give it a look.
Cheers
Phil

wood warbler still in the trees up hoddy cows lane buckton this evening, along with 8 willow warbler, singing tree pipit and male redstart in old fall plantation flamborough this morning, a few ring ouzel on the head, yellow and white wagtails on the golf course, 3 common whitethroat in the hedge opposite greenacres caravan site, 1 singing male blackcap in our garden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back