• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Swine Moor and Sammy's Point

had a quick look at swine Moor yesterday, pair of garganey and lrp were the highlights-not much else.
Single redstart near the car park at sammy's Point marsh harrier, common sandpiper and arctic tern came over tha radio whilst I was there.

Attachments

• G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 58
  • G4.jpg
    G4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 72
  • RS5.jpg
    RS5.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 89
  • RS11.jpg
    RS11.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 64
I can offer plenty of (exciting) news on Old Moor and the surrounding areas for anyone wishing to visit.

See the link at the bottom of my post for a full report on today's sightings..

It's worth a read this time !!

Old Moor is good for lunchtime visits as it is compact enough to get from car park to furthest point in a relatively short time. Potteric might be too big for lunchtime visit.
Sadly both of these close their doors early, although Potteric did have an double gate affair for leaving the reserve after closing time...don't know if it is still in place.
What about Rother Valley Country Park?

Old Moor is now open until 8pm every night if anyone is wanting a late visit.

Treeton

Nice short glimpse of a Grasshopper Warbler on the railway embankment at Treeton yesterday along with two other reeling birds within close proximity, the joys of working outside for a living (until those cold winter nights arrive), then onto my next job by Oxspring Tunnel (near to Penistone) and two more reeling birds

Got up mega early to get the early birds on the warbler walk. (driving from near Buxton) Saw the male marsh harrier, got exciterd, then the female marsh harrier flew over the path followed by the male. Heard a grasshopper warbler, cuckoo, green woodpecker and lesser whitethroat - all unseen. Heard a man at Old Moor point out the Whimbrel but missed them. Found them later at Broomhill Flash. The warbler walk is one of the best places for seeing little birds. we are only just finding our way around this area as we live in Derbyshire. Wombwell Ings was brill for waders. The area is well worth the hour it takes to get there.

well done andy. I didnt know where clifton backies was- is it near the ings? I guess it was the same bird up at nosterfield later in the day.

Whilst traveling to work this morning at about 7.00am, just North of Castleford on Barnsdale Road, I saw 2 avocets fly from the Hicksons side of the road and disappear over the fields towards Allerton Bywater. Took me a few moments to realise what I was looking at, not really expecting that species round there.

Just been in the garden to feed the kids pet rabbit, when I could hardly believe my ears could hear a Grasshopper Warbler singing just at the back of the garden in some overgrown pasture/waste ground first time in 17 years of living here that I have heard one making it the 5th Warbler species for my garden list.

Just been in the garden to feed the kids pet rabbit, when I could hardly believe my ears could hear a Grasshopper Warbler singing just at the back of the garden in some overgrown pasture/waste ground first time in 17 years of living here that I have heard one making it the 5th Warbler species for my garden list.

I'm in Pontefract tomorrow to do a couple of Atlas tetrads any chance of a pm to let me know location of bird?

Whilst traveling to work this morning at about 7.00am, just North of Castleford on Barnsdale Road, I saw 2 avocets fly from the Hicksons side of the road and disappear over the fields towards Allerton Bywater. Took me a few moments to realise what I was looking at, not really expecting that species round there.

Didn't you get the chance for some road kill?

Flamborough

had a couple of hours walking round the head this morning, old fall hedge 2 common whitethroat, 1 willow warbler, old fall plantation, 1 lesser whitethroat, 1 willow warbler, 1 chiffchaff, old fall flash, 1 dunlin, 2 lapwing , 1 shelduck, 1 marsh harrier south over our house, 2 yellow and 1 white wagtail on the grass overspill car park at the lighthouse, 1 green sandpiper north
101e0370.jpg
101e0369.jpg
101e0372.jpg

Last edited:

They've been reported at Hickson's flash (Fairburn's sightings page), there have been up to 19 of them at Swilly too you'll be glad to hear.:-O

Spurn Point
There is a planning application submitted to more than double the size of the caravan site in Kilnsea. This will mean the loss of habitat, increased urbanisation, massive visual impact in the Heritage Coast and a reduction in birding areas.
If you have a view on this I would urge all to comment via the links below, this can be done on line.
The application reference is DC/10/007850STPLFE/STRAT/HC
and can be found on http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/publicaccess comments can be e-mailed to [email protected]

This is you opertunity to try and protect good hedge rows and permenant pasture from being lost.

I was already in the area so I popped into Tophill Low this afternoon. Despite the strong breeze, I managed to find a decently sized Grass Snake in a part of the reserve where I’ve not seen them before.

Yellow Wagtails, Cuckoo and some huge Sparrowhawks provided bird interest and the obligatory Roe Deer was seen in D’ Woods. I shouldn’t really admit it, but I also spent some time observing butterflies, including an Orange Tip!

There was also another highlight, which like John’s bird sighting on Sunday, can’t really be mentioned on a public forum (although it’s not especially rare or sought after by listers).

Spurn Point
There is a planning application submitted to more than double the size of the caravan site in Kilnsea. This will mean the loss of habitat, increased urbanisation, massive visual impact in the Heritage Coast and a reduction in birding areas.
If you have a view on this I would urge all to comment via the links below, this can be done on line.
The application reference is DC/10/007850STPLFE/STRAT/HC
and can be found on http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/publicaccess comments can be e-mailed to [email protected]

This is you opertunity to try and protect good hedge rows and permenant pasture from being lost.

I put this on this morning and bird news in Yorks has been slow today so the YORKSHIRE BIRDING thread has slipped and I wish to make more aware off this application.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back