• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (25 Viewers)

flamborough

hooded crow with carrion crows in the cliff top fields at the end of north dykes this morning, 1 garden warbler, a few willow warblers and chiffchaffs, and a short staying male crossbill in old fall plantation, a nice few swallows, house and sand martins about, and 2 corn buntings flew west

Access from Beverley onto Swinemoor is from the Hull Bridge Roundabout, this is the one where the road to Tickton is taken, follow this road for 400 metres, on the righthand side footpath to the end of the hedgerow turn right onto a small footbridge over a drain and onto the common

has anyone seen the very pale barn owl at flamborough? had it hunting the golf course in broad daylight yesterday, almost no brown on the back at all and very pale underneath
Mat

I was wondering whether anyone else saw the buzzard that flew over Leeds 4 this evening at around 6:15pm, heading in a north easterly direction.

While I'm logged on, I'm looking for a reliable little owl site (apart from Fairburn Ings) in or around Leeds that I can take my trainee birdwatching students to view - all trustworthy and very keen to see one. Could I have a few tips on where I might find one. My bird at Eccup seems to have disappeared - hopefully it hasn't succumbed to the bad weather.

I was wondering whether anyone else saw the buzzard that flew over Leeds 4 this evening at around 6:15pm, heading in a north easterly direction.

While I'm logged on, I'm looking for a reliable little owl site (apart from Fairburn Ings) in or around Leeds that I can take my trainee birdwatching students to view - all trustworthy and very keen to see one. Could I have a few tips on where I might find one. My bird at Eccup seems to have disappeared - hopefully it hasn't succumbed to the bad weather.

My wife saw a Buzzard fly over our house in Moortown two days ago (in the area behind the fire station on Stonegate Road). I missed it, but her view and description were good - it definitely wasn't a Red Kite as we see them very often here, and she knows the difference.

The only Little Owl site I knew was the one in Eccup, especially around the derelict barn on the back lane from the village to the dog centre. Pity if that has gone.

I haven't found any reliable sites for little owls other than Fairburn.
I've seen little owl twice in Ledston whilst doing my TTV for the Atlas but hardly count that as reliable as I've only made 3 visits in total.

Woke up at 04:00 and made an impulse decision to go to Bolton Abbey. Beautiful morning, had the place to myself for nearly four hours! Redstart, Pied Fly, Wood Warbler, Garden Warbler all year firsts. Green Woodpecker, GSW and a sparrowhawk flying through the woods with breakfast, ace! Bit tired now.

PS were the RRS calls from one birder?

12:53 03/05/10 Red-rumped Swallow S Yorks Rother Valley CP 12:42

:-C 12:47 03/05/10 Red-rumped Swallow S Yorks Rother Valley CP 12:40

Last edited:
Only went on North Bank, that's the river to the left as walking upstream. Pied Fly, WW and Redstart all in the area around the highest point of the path - that's where there is a little shelter. Redstart also in trees next to layby on Storiths lane.

Bird Race

My nephew and I had a very tiring but enjoyable bird race today.
Despite howling northetly winds and torrential showers we managed our target of 100 species.
Highlights included dipper (North Yorks), manx shearwater (Flamborough) white wagtail (Tophill), garganey (Swinemoor) and ring ouzel (Spurn).
We were flagging by the time we reached our target and we could have got more.
For anyone interested there is a full account on the blog.

Only went on North Bank, that's the river to the left as walking upstream. Pied Fly, WW and Redstart all in the area around the highest point of the path - that's where there is a little shelter. Redstart also in trees next to layby on Storiths lane.

Useful bit of info.,thanks,we are going in that area with a local group very early on Thursday morning.We did this last spring and missed out on the Wood Warbler.

Went 'Ouzeling' today and after a 6 mile round walk over Langsett Moor I managed to find a cracking male bird .. I was just about to turn back too when I spotted it !!

Red Grouse, Mipits, Wheatear and Curlew were all present and I had cracking views of a Tawny Owl in Langsett wood along with a group of Crossbills and Siskins.

It's wonderful fun out on the moors when its hailing ...

Owltastic !!

Had brilliant spring /summer last year watching local Little and Barn Owls .Pleased to say they seem to be thriving and are well and truly back on form !Thought I'd share a couple of images from this evening.

Attachments

• Little Owl1_100.jpg
    Little Owl1_100.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Barn Owl500.jpg
    Barn Owl500.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 61
Went out in the evening as well, no owls but a nice Greenland Wheatear, what a whopper!

Attachments

• IMG_3169.jpg
    IMG_3169.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 83
I haven't found any reliable sites for little owls other than Fairburn.
I've seen little owl twice in Ledston whilst doing my TTV for the Atlas but hardly count that as reliable as I've only made 3 visits in total.

I'm glad to hear that a little owl is still around in Ledston. That used to be a very reliable site and I've not seen one around there for a while. One used to sit, what seemed like permanently, on a telegraph pole by the side of the road.

Had 6 swifts over Bramley Falls Wood in Leeds early this morning and a couple of whitethroat from the canal tow path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back