• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Pied Flycatcher

I had a look down at Sammy's Point after work today(wheatear, whimbrel, lesser whitethroat) then on to Crown and Anchor.
I was hoping for a pied flycatcher and fortunately I wasn't disappointed.

Attachments

• PF1.jpg
    PF1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 67
  • PF5.jpg
    PF5.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 53
  • PF10.jpg
    PF10.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 68
  • PF14.jpg
    PF14.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 83
  • PF21.jpg
    PF21.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 70
The RV bird still present this evening and showing well.

Interesting.... any idea what time RV closes in the evening? I recall it may be around 8pm. I assume the lake the bird is generally at is only viewable from inside the park?
I may be driving past tomorrow but it will be early evening.

I've just got back from RV. Finally caught up with RRS at 3rd attempt (£9 in parking fees!) As you pull up to the car park the bird was over the left hand or North East corner of the lake. I walked round to view from the gate and had some fantastic views. Got Sunday afternoon off so hoping the Blue Winged Teal turns up...

I've just got back from RV. Finally caught up with RRS at 3rd attempt (£9 in parking fees!) As you pull up to the car park the bird was over the left hand or North East corner of the lake. I walked round to view from the gate and had some fantastic views. Got Sunday afternoon off so hoping the Blue Winged Teal turns up...

£9 for a swallow!! That reminds me of the time when a friend of mine ...

No best not ....

BW Teal

With the reports of the Blue Winged teal this week I was just wondering whether or not there is any doubt about the authenticity of the bird - is it a confirmed wild bird or has it slipped out of someones collection??? Not noticed any comments on here about the bird - I thought if its a genuine wild bird more excitement would have appeared on these pages??? Looks like its moved on anyhow but........

I've no opinions on the bird either way, it was one of those that needed to hang around a bit for me to catch up with it, not enough spare time to get up there and see it. I've been up to my ass in BTO Tetrads and BBS squares for the last couple of weeks, first time I've got some free time the damn thing goes walkabout.
Thinking about it...I bet it was an escape...anything to make it easier that I missed it ;)

No reason not to have it based on the views I had. It was staying to the far western bank, and it hasn't picked a site where bread is thrown at it. The bird was too distant to check for wing damage or rings.

Like with all wildfowl it carries the escape proviso, but should be given the benefit of doubt unless it disgraces itself, which it hasn't. It also turned up when another did in Scotland. Having said that it may be last year's Teesside bird that's been in hiding.

Nice bird, but it's a bit of a dot. Unless someone has grilled the site, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still on. It's not the easiest place to work, and it liked to get hidden in the reeds whilst I was there.

With the reports of the Blue Winged teal this week I was just wondering whether or not there is any doubt about the authenticity of the bird - is it a confirmed wild bird or has it slipped out of someones collection??? Not noticed any comments on here about the bird - I thought if its a genuine wild bird more excitement would have appeared on these pages??? Looks like its moved on anyhow but........

Im not sure with regards its provenance but I guess the filey bird a 4 or 5 years ago put paid to too much ardour.

There was nothing in its behaviour or appearance to suggest captive origin but as with all rare wildfowl there is no real way of telling. Interesting there was a bird turning up on Mull at the same time. It's possible it's the Teesside bird but although Pepper Arden isn't intensively watched it does get visited by birders (including one methodical observer) and I don't think it will have stayed hidden all that time. It's interesting as well that when it was first found it was feeding frenetically.

spent the afternoon at tophill low today, loads of house martins, swifts and swallows hawking about, 1 wood sandpiper at Watton N R , 1 common sandpiper, 4 common terns, 2 ruddy ducks, on south marsh east, cracking drake red-crested pochard on D reservoir had close views of it from the south hide, lots of warblers around too, willlow, chiffchaff, garden, blackcap, sedge and reed, whitethroat
101e0525.jpg

Might be old news but anyone going to see the Red Rump at Rother Valley, it's best to park at the first car park then walk back on yourself to the public footpath that goes through some meadow area (when I got there everyone was standing at the car park to view the lake and saw the bird distantly). It shows really well just before the path bends to the right, it was flying just above our heads yesterday with the sun at our backs. Great bird. Great views.

Hi Andy r, if you're reading. How are ya? In hindsight and a bit of research (this sounds stringy already!) I'm pretty sure I had a Tawny Pipit on the 27th north at Spurn (I saw you that day). To be honest I didn't recognise the call it made at the time but it suddenly dawned on me yesterday that the bird could've been a large pipit. My only concern and maybe question to anyone who can help is I had it down as a Wagtail sp. (!) but only due to it's deeply undulating flight. It was clearly on passage. I've seen Tawny at Spurn before and abroad, but not in migratory mode. Do they fly with deep undulations when on passage? It went north over the mound near Big Hedge and continued strongly north until lost to view. It gave a "chup" (which I now know is good for Tawny) over clubleys then flew straight over my head, didn't get a lot on it in the sun, then watched it fly strongly north. It was around 12:30.
This is all very stringy, especially as one was at Grimston 2 days later!!!!
What's your thoughts, anyone?
Help is appreciated.

Cheers, Q.

Just seen this on the SBSG website !

08 May 2010
Damflask Res: Little Auk - 1 - headless and rather dessicated corpse found alongside footpath on northern side of reservoir - must been dead for at least a week

A very enjoyable trip to Bolton Abbey yesterday morning got wood warbler, redstart (including one male perched out in the open just by The Strid), pied flycatcher, goldcrest, plenty of blackcap, chiffchaff and willow warbler plus excellent views of dipper, grey wagtail and mandarin. The sand martins were flying very low and giving great views especially one individual picked off by a sparrowhawk in mid flight which had been learning from a hobby I guess! We dipped on garden warbler at the Barden Bridge end of the walk, but just as we were giving up we had a fly-past by an osprey which headed up the river. Rounded things off very nicely!

A very enjoyable trip to Bolton Abbey yesterday morning got wood warbler, redstart (including one male perched out in the open just by The Strid), pied flycatcher, goldcrest, plenty of blackcap, chiffchaff and willow warbler plus excellent views of dipper, grey wagtail and mandarin. The sand martins were flying very low and giving great views especially one individual picked off by a sparrowhawk in mid flight which had been learning from a hobby I guess! We dipped on garden warbler at the Barden Bridge end of the walk, but just as we were giving up we had a fly-past by an osprey which headed up the river. Rounded things off very nicely!

Heading up that way myself this afternoon Owen. Was up on Barden Moor last week and got cuckoo making its way up the pass. It is rather cold today and there weren't many birds singing this morning in Bramley Falls Wood so had to work harder for the survey I was helping with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back