• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Thanks for the information Rodney1 and well done to a good find, you will envied by many birders - me included.
The photographs are now on the Spurn website at www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk

Andy Roadhouse

Those pics are amazing! Well done again to the finder, and it's good it at least made the record even if sad no-one else got to see it. Makes you wonder what else ends up down the less watched parts of the East Coast undetected...

But I still don't understand a few things here. Forgive my persistence. Firstly the blue container is out in the public domain now so why take the video down, it does not show anything else? And I apologise for looking on Google Earth, but that's not illegal. So pretty please, put the video back up for others to see, they cannot narrow it down any more from it being up. A clue to why this is all such a big secret would help satisfy a lot of hungry minds at the moment.
PS, if it is not in the Gas Terminal, you missed a trick, cos thousands of people would have paid a quid each for access to your property on that day.

But I still don't understand a few things here. Forgive my persistence. Firstly the blue container is out in the public domain now so why take the video down, it does not show anything else? And I apologise for looking on Google Earth, but that's not illegal. So pretty please, put the video back up for others to see, they cannot narrow it down any more from it being up. A clue to why this is all such a big secret would help satisfy a lot of hungry minds at the moment.
PS, if it is not in the Gas Terminal, you missed a trick, cos thousands of people would have paid a quid each for access to your property on that day.

Mannix - I may be wrong, but it's possible someone may have initially broken some rules by videoing inside a sensitive site and putting it on YouTube, so perhaps best to leave it. The photos are on the Spurn Obs website now anyway. A Gas Terminal (if that is indeed where it was) is highly explosive and therefore a potential terrorism target, and so security has to be taken very seriously. There are more important things in this world than birders seeing a bird, as much as many people here would have liked to see this little gem.

The finder needn't have told anyone, meaning it would never have even been recorded. The Spurn guys seem satisfied all round, and I'm sure they're just as annoyed (I suspect even more so!) as the rest of us that the roller turned up at a site with no access. We have no inherent right to birds that turn up on private land, and people sometimes have very good reasons to keep things quiet. Well done to the finders, and better luck next time to the rest of us.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess you're right Pete. I guess the frustration is pretty intense in a lot of people. But you know how when people don't have any information, they fill in the gaps themselves. As you say the lads at Spurn seemm happy enough and that's good enough for me.

Brown Tailed Moth caterpillar rash

Hi,

Anybody else come back from Spurn Point with the dreaded Brown Tailed Moth caterpillar rash?

Was there on Sunday and rash showed up yesterday, and now other spots are starting to appear on my arms and legs.

Anybody know if it will go away on it's own accord, or will I need to see the doctor?

Thanks

John.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't even know you were a twitcher. I'm a bit confused why you let it work you up to this degree...

I'm not a twitcher Pete but some birds have kind of a mythical status to me, (well they do to me anyhow) a Hoopoe is another one of my "mythical" birds. So although not a twitcher, I would have jumped in the car at a minute's notice for this bird.
If you don't have your own "mythical" birds you may think I'm crazy but I am guessing there are birders who have them. Maybe a whole new thread.
:)

The Rise and Fall of a Twitcher

This is slightly scary. My first twitch was in 1978 for a White Stork in North Wales on a day which I also ticked Dipper, Crossbill and Chough. Reached 199 by year end and 246 by the end of 1979. No wonder my A level grades suffered ;)

All downhill from there. Life got in the way. Average 2.5 ticks/year since :-C

Hi,

Anybody else come back from Spurn Point with the dreaded Brown Tailed Moth caterpillar rash?

Was there on Sunday and rash showed up yesterday, and now other spots are starting to appear on my arms and legs.

Anybody know if it will go away on it's own accord, or will I need to see the doctor?

Thanks

John.

I don't know if you paid to take your car onto Spurn John but if you did there is a clear and full warning of the caterpillars on the back of the ticket you recieve. Their advice is that if it becomes severe, then consult your doctor.

I'm not a twitcher Pete but some birds have kind of a mythical status to me, (well they do to me anyhow) a Hoopoe is another one of my "mythical" birds. So although not a twitcher, I would have jumped in the car at a minute's notice for this bird.
If you don't have your own "mythical" birds you may think I'm crazy but I am guessing there are birders who have them. Maybe a whole new thread.

Perfectly understood, a roller's on every birder's wishlist. As someone who doesn't drive and works full time, however, I stopped worrying too much about what I was missing elsewhere a long time ago, otherwise I'd spend my entire time in a permament state of frustration! ;)

Hoopoe's a bit more do-able, if you're willing to twitch they crop up a bit more frequently than the infinitely more "mythical" roller... You never know, one may even turn up on Donny Racecourse one day!

I understand that totally, i certainly wouldnt call myself a twitcher but as you say there are just certain birds like that,since being a small kid there were always 5 birds 'mythical' birds i wanted to see Roller, Hoopoe, Bee-Eater,Golden Oriole and Bluethroat and i've been pretty lucky so far i only have Golden Oriole and Hoopoe left to see.

there were always 5 birds 'mythical' birds i wanted to see Roller, Hoopoe, Bee-Eater,Golden Oriole and Bluethroat and i've been pretty lucky so far i only have Golden Oriole and Hoopoe left to see.

Sounds like we had the same mythical list, but I've seen the two you've yet to see, but haven't seen those you have, if that makes sense! Would love to see a Roller, Bee-eater or Bluethroat, but the latter would have to be a male & preferably a Red-spotted version!

Totally agree with you Pete. Since I started to get back into birding this year I have already missed out on several lifers. I take what I can when friends can offer lifts. Pretty gutted that Adam has seen Roller <envy>. I gave up on Hoopoe years ago, they are just too flighty. Either you are there or you aren't.

Having seen the Roller video before it was removed from YouTube, if I'd been there I probably would have wet myself

Last edited:
addendum. In the days before mobile phones when I lived in Pickering. Got home after a day's surveying on the moors to discover an answerphone message saying there were 4 bee-eaters on telegraph wires outside my mate's house down the road. Cue squealing tyres followed by big smiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back