• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (24 Viewers)

Chris,
it's basically a well ordered list of ID information. NO pictures - just text.
So you can quickly access the info needed to separate similar species.
Cheers Keith, I've been tipped about it and will not bother. I'd prefer some piccies.

I wouldn't fancy trying for these, but you should be safer with the following in Swillington, not a million miles away.

180+ Waxwings in area between Astley Lane and Little Preston this afternoon.

Dave
I tried twice last weekend but probably at the wrong times, late Saturday and early Sunday. Don't think I'll have the chance this weekend though. :-C

I seem to be working in the epicentre of Sheffield's waxwing population at the moment, and have seen them most days this week. I had c80 overhead on the way in to work this morning, and found a nice flock of 17 on my lunch hour, including these fellas.

My biggest count was 100+ earlier in the week, but there are some reports of 300+ roaming the city centre!

Attachments

• 5268170285_2f159b0ef9.jpg
    5268170285_2f159b0ef9.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 5268170207_605f84d118.jpg
    5268170207_605f84d118.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 64
Forgot to post yesterday but had a shock encounter with a Goshawk sat on a hedge yesterday. Full details on the blog but it was the first time I have seen one on the deck. No mistaking this for a sprawk - it must have been a female as it was massive and had blood all over it's face and chest (not that that has a bearing). It didn't move and I hadn't the time so I blinked first and had to move on. Shame I had no camera.

Paul... tsk! haha

Thanks guys... might head over there tomorrow, not Beeston though... hmmm.

If anyones free on Sunday, I`m heading to Wheldrake Ings with a friend, would be good to meet some new birding faces =) That`s if the snow holds off, heres hoping.

Paul... tsk! haha

Thanks guys... might head over there tomorrow, not Beeston though... hmmm.

If anyones free on Sunday, I`m heading to Wheldrake Ings with a friend, would be good to meet some new birding faces =) That`s if the snow holds off, heres hoping.

Claire
Not sure how well Wheldrake is doing at moment....no reports on local York site reporing system. Not to say u might not find good stuff..just wondering if u might be better elsewhere!
Northernloon joining me tomorrow ..trying to find an arctic...the holy graail this winter for me...but if pants on my patch will probably do LDV. will let u knw if we go!!!
Paul

Barn Owls

I thought the news that there were 3 Barn Owls found dead in the Sunk Island area, and another hit by a car in the Burton Pidsea area were bad enough, but one was also found outside a box at the Tophill Low reserve, but there is even worse news. This is second-hand information, but I've also been told that 23 have been found dead or dying in the Lower Derwent Valley in the last 3 weeks!

I've been sent some info on how landowner's can help Barn Owls survive, so if you want this sending as a word attachment, please PM me!

Right, I`m going to look out for these tomorrow, do you have a grid reference or landmarks where to look out for them? I know they`ll probably move...

The waxwings are best looked for around Primrose Hill Gardens. From Wakefield Road which intersects Swillington village turn down Astley Lane (just a bit further down from the Church) after a couple of hundred yards or so turn into the Primrose Hill estate take your first left and look around, if they are here you can't miss them!

Dave

PS. I've seen them here a few times now but I've only looked for them late afternoon.

Claire
Not sure how well Wheldrake is doing at moment....no reports on local York site reporing system. Not to say u might not find good stuff..just wondering if u might be better elsewhere!
Northernloon joining me tomorrow ..trying to find an arctic...the holy graail this winter for me...but if pants on my patch will probably do LDV. will let u knw if we go!!!
Paul

Thanks Paul, sounds good, just let me know.
Might abandon the Wheldrake trip then, if you don`t think it`ll be worth going.

I tried to find the Swillington Waxwings this morning, no joy... went on to try to find the Beeston/Holbeck ones, no joy either. I did watch a few Blue Tits playing and some Long Tailed Tits eating for a while there though... they didn`t seem to be bothered by me being there...it was very cold, snow on the ground...

I have just been watching c40 Redpolls in the neighbours tree... not sure which ones they were, Meally I`d expect.

Third time lucky but I got on my bike for the Swillington waxwings, plenty around and very close views. No bins necessary. You must have looked in the wrong place Clare, I was there between 11:30-12:00 ish and couldn't miss them.

Third time lucky but I got on my bike for the Swillington waxwings, plenty around and very close views. No bins necessary. You must have looked in the wrong place Clare, I was there between 11:30-12:00 ish and couldn't miss them.

I was there 9ish... maybe they we still asleep. haha

Astley road right? between Great Preston and Swillington?

Astley Lane (off the A642) , down the hill there is the Indian Spice takeaway/restaurant on the left hand side. Shortly after this there is a little side road that leads onto the Primrose Hill Estate. Right on the corner there is a rowan tree in a garden that was visited by the waxwings. Further on there were many more in other trees, the berries were disappearing fast though.

A few from today

Took Ken for a wander round my patch,,then onto fairburn for failed LEO attempt.My Barn Owl is hanging on against the odds!Only a few redpoll today, though one definite meally.Other highlight was water rail and huge numbers thrushes at Lin Dyke.

Attachments

• barnowl3.jpg
    barnowl3.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 83
  • fieldfare.jpg
    fieldfare.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 69
  • redpoll20.jpg
    redpoll20.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 69
  • waterrail.jpg
    waterrail.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 61
  • greypart.jpg
    greypart.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 65
Waxwing Virgin

Lost my virginity today and HOW.....! Met up with Markoh and his rocket launcher at Swillington this morning ( 10am til 12 ) and he'll witness how I was gang banged by about 100 of the beggers.....I can now die a happy man..
Cheers Joe :king: :t:

PS Checked through 190 images, no coloured rings but a bloke Markoh and I spoke with said he'd had one with a coloured ring, didn't catch which colour, maybe Mark can follow up..........

Attachments

• 106-2 copy.jpg
    106-2 copy.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 65
  • 135 copy.jpg
    135 copy.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 146 copy 2.jpg
    146 copy 2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Lost my virginity today and HOW.....! Met up with Markoh and his rocket launcher at Swillington this morning ( 10am til 12 ) and he'll witness how I was gang banged by about 100 of the beggers.....I can now die a happy man..
Cheers Joe :king: :t:

PS Checked through 190 images, no coloured rings but a bloke Markoh and I spoke with said he'd had one with a coloured ring, didn't catch which colour, maybe Mark can follow up..........
lovely to meet you this morning joe,.i took over 400 shots i will look thru them all for any that are ringed.the memories of this morning will stay with me for a long long time.
cheers now
mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back