• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Condor 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Hi People!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Swift Condor 10x42 Binoculars. Seem to have a wide field of view 367 feet at 1000 yards and there is a pair on Ebay with the optics working fine for $90.

http://cgi.ebay.com/swift-condor-10-x-42-model-719-/250731995323?pt=Binocular&hash=item3a60caa0bb

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swift-binocular...241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60cd9251

Any thoughts welcome.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I've never handled this model, but I do have a few thoughts. As for features, they are somewhat similar to the Audubon, and they do have a nice wide FOV for a 10x (367 ft), which is the same as the later model 826 Audubon/Kestrel. However, that's where the similarity ends. It only uses a 4-element eyepiece, rather than 5, and it is only fully coated rather than multi-coated. By 1987 the better quality Swifts were pretty much all multi-coated. So, for example, it would probably not compare well with the superb 804R Audubon of the same period.

For any Swift binocular of this age and construction you should assume that it will need to be serviced, e.g., cleaned, aligned, etc. That will add about $75 + postage, assuming nothing else is wrong. In the end you'd only wind up with a middle of the road instrument. So, I'd suggest you save and wait for a Type 4 Audubon.

Best wishes,
Ed

Hi Ed:

Thanks for your wonderful advice. i went and had a look at the Audubon thread and did not realize you were so knowledgeable on such matters, so I really appreciate your time.

I got a new pair of Audubons a couple of years ago when I started racecalling and felt at the time they didnt quite reach to the furthest points of many racetracks. I eventually realized that was more to my lack of ability than the optics!

Once I addressed that issue I have used Zeiss Binoculars but never been entirely happy with them. Always had shake issues and although having 2 different Dialyts, I still missed the wider field of view and to my eyes better depth of the Swifts.

Earlier this year I found a pair of Featherweight Audubons from 1968. They worked well but had a slightly yellowish tint. The dealer I got them from ensured they were collimated and I have used them for most of the year. Even with their weight, I found I could handhold them when needed easier than the Zeiss 10x40's and also put my Audubons on a stand.

Having listened to you, I found a pair of 1992 Swift Audubons Type 4b on Ebay this morning. Paid $225 for them. Maybe a tad too much to pay but am very glad to have them. Having faith in my optics keeps me in a job and I will review them when they get here.

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

I recall the auction, and you paid a reasonable price for them. If they need to be serviced please consider using Nicolas Crista. http://www.nrcoptics.com/ He does all my repair work.

It will be interesting to hear how they work out.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back