• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60? (1 Viewer)

According to the website specs, they got rid of the High-Speed Burst HQ shooting mode. While I don't use that much any more it can be handy for a sitting still bird that keeps moving it's head about. However continuous shooting speed is now 6.4 shots per second instead of 2.2.
But that is with with Tracking AF off, I think I read somewhere that Continuous shooting with AF is 3.7 sps.

The Canon SX60 is announced on the Canon USA web site.

Thanks - lots of data available here. :t:

Continuous Shooting
Normal: Approx. 6.4* shots/sec. (in AUTO & P mode)
AF: Approx. 3.8* shots/sec. (in P mode)
Live View: Approx. 4.6* shots/sec. (in P mode)

Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically.
Differs depending on the zoom position.

*Using an 8 GB, UHS-I compatible memory card [...]. The number of shots changes depending on subjects, brands of memory cards, etc. Shooting in RAW (including RAW+JPEG) is excluded.

And some new shooting modes: "Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, ..." BIF = Bats in flight...

I was wondering if they have actually tried to improve the EVF on this camera - also can raw now be used with the 1.5 and 2 converters cuz that would be REALLY nice.

Nice price digitalrev. I bought my last two cameras from them with no problems.

Cheapo Sx60

Grateful if any forum users have experience of purchasing from SimplyElectronics who are currently offering the SX60 for £329?

As usual with this type of site, I suspect what will be supplied is a grey import. But is this always a bad thing provided you can utilise genuine Canon warranties?

I would avoid Value Basket and Simply Electronics

Like the plague. That's just my conclusion from my research. Put a store into Google followed by the word review. Have a look at TrustPilot also

For me, the cheapest stores I actually trust are DigitalRev and HDEW. On the fence about SLR Hut, but avoiding for now

I have a heart condition and put a value of more than £30 on weeks of stress. YMMV

Last edited:
Grateful if any forum users have experience of purchasing from SimplyElectronics who are currently offering the SX60 for £329?

As usual with this type of site, I suspect what will be supplied is a grey import. But is this always a bad thing provided you can utilise genuine Canon warranties?
GBP 329 = Euro 418. I bought the SX50 for Euro 413 on November 3, 2012. With a little patience the price for a SX60 should soon drop to similar levels. "Genuine Canon warranty" is 1 year in Europe, and I like my 2-year warranty. In particular after I had my SX50 repaired on warranty after 1 year and 10 months.

So I can only agree 100% with Marcobf. And thank you, Marco, for finding the manual of the SX60!

Those certainly are excellent photos Bob. I've had the SX50 for a long time now too and just comparing the specs between the SX50 and SX60, they don't suggest any huge improvement excepting for some extra range on the lens. Given that you now have hands-on experience with both, what about the SX60 is improved over the 50? How is the low light for example? Focus speed? Stabilization? Can you tell us why it's better than the SX50?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back